19. Forums

We have received
page views since
July 27, 2010

Hits New Today: 25539
Hits New Yesterday: 30034

Server Time
19 August 2022 23:42:02 AEST (GMT +10)
Mustang Technical Discussion > Mustang Projects > Edz 66 Convertible (page 47) > Community Forums > Mustang Forum Australia - Mustang Tech

View posts since last visit ā€¢ View posts last 24 hours ā€¢ View unanswered posts
Forum Index > Mustang Projects

Edz 66 Convertible Reply to topic

Edz66Vert
Mustang Star

0 šŸ‘ / 0 šŸ‘Ž

So I haven't posted for a while but I thought I'd give an update.

I bought a Holley/MSD Atomic secondhand off a mate for a good price and I finally got around to fitting it.

It came with an external pump and lines however after putting up with the noise of an external pump, I wanted a quiet one!

I fitted new '69 20 gallon (US - 75.7L) EFI Tank to replace 16 Gallon (US - 60.5 L). A US Gallon is 3.785L (not 4 as many say)

The '69 Mustang 20 gallon tank is a direct replacement for the standard 16 Gallon tank. This tank will increase my range by 25% which is nice as the new motor is thirsty compared to the old, tired motor I bought it with. That 25% increase is on the top of the tank, not underneath so you lose a little more boot space (or your spare sits up higher).

Nuts told me I can fit a 22 Gallon aftermarket tank (83.3L) tank to a '65-68 Mustang but you either have to bend the neck (with a steel pipe inside) where the rubber filler hose connects, or buy a new neck to fit ($140 posted). It's also taller again in the boot.

This is my new tank in place.

g]

The pump is a 'Fuel Gauge Sender and Holley Performance 12-305 EFI Fuel Pump Module (For 64-70 Mustang)'

The advantage of this pump is that it needs no return line as it is internally regulated and just drops the excess straight back into the tank. Since it's in the tank it also runs a lot cooler and is very quiet. I bought the tank and pump kit from Custom Mustangs in Melbourne for $1100 delivered. the MSD Atomic can run without a return line but I like the idea of an in-tank pump, it's what all the oems do.

MSD TPS SWITCH/MODULE MSD2939 MSD ATOMIC TBI AU$350

I had to buy an MSD Atomic TBI throttle position sensor modules are designed for use with the MSD Atomic throttle body fuel injection system. They connect inline to the Atomic TBI communication network and provide a common 0-5 V throttle position output signal required for the operation of an electronic overdrive transmission or other accessory to tell it what the throttle movement is. This replaced my $30 Holley TPS switch that bolted onto the side of the Holley carby, so it cost me $350 to fix a simple $30 problem!

This took a lot of chasing on the internet. Everybody (including Holley) listed it out of stock. Holley said they would have more in 5 months! I founf one on eBay from Engine Parts Australia who are a good company I deal with a lot. I ordered it and 2 days later they emailed me and apologised that they had no stock and refunded my money. Summit had none and it was on back order (who knows when) but I found one at Jegs and quickly ordered it for $350 landed, 8 day delivery - last one! One other company did list them but wanted $500!

Fitting the O2 sensor for the EFI

1. Pipe drilled with step drill to 24mm. I love these drills, so safe and quick to drill different sizes.

2. Tig welded, haven't done any for about 2 years and I have never done a lot, but I was happy with the result. This is before cleaning on the wire wheel, I forgot to take that shot, but it looked nice.

3 & 4.Painted and drying on the slow combustion fire. It was only 7 degrees outside, toasty 16 degrees inside.

Finally, I did a 60mm cut and shut on the fuel filler neck as it stuck out 60mm. A new 'shorter' 20 gallon neck is $125 plus $15 del, so I decided to make my own. A little worried about rust inside so I'll give it a clean and paint it with some POR I have, which is fuel safe.

I'll post pics when I'm done with the filler pipe and have the Atomic installed. I'm putting it in the engine bay at this stage as I don't feel like cramming more things under the dash and it's water-resistant.

Checkout my car builds - edzv8s.com
66 Convertible Bench Seat AODE 3.5 9"

Last edited by Edz66Vert on Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:09 pm; edited 5 times in total

ozbilt
Site Admin

0 šŸ‘ / 0 šŸ‘Ž

22 gal tank is a 1970 tank. 1964 1/4 - 68 are 16 gals, 69 is 20 gals (FYI)

Good to see tanks already modded for intank pumps. Saves me doing it ..... Like

Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet

Last edited by ozbilt on Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Edz66Vert
Mustang Star

0 šŸ‘ / 0 šŸ‘Ž

Yes, the kit is great, EFI pump, sender, filter and 3 arms for the different size tanks, just drops in. You can buy it separately to the tank.

Nuts
Mustang King

0 šŸ‘ / 0 šŸ‘Ž

Well??? Do you have it running yet?šŸ¤”

My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic

ozbilt
Site Admin

0 šŸ‘ / 0 šŸ‘Ž

Nuts, I see you have a Pommy Mustang now. Fuel prices making you do strange things?

Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet

Nuts
Mustang King

0 šŸ‘ / 0 šŸ‘Ž

Long story, Oz. Always wanted an original 49. This was advertised as a 9 out of 10. Turns out it was a 3. Seller is a crook and the costs to settle the matter would have doubled my purchase cost. So I'm stuck with it.

My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic

Edz66Vert
Mustang Star

0 šŸ‘ / 0 šŸ‘Ž

Nuts - close to running! Just a few bits of wiring and placing the msd and ice box on a s/s panel on the inner guard. Distracted with finishing ing off a bike for sale and visiting parents up north to help them find a new location to live.

Should be running by next weekend.

Edz66Vert
Mustang Star

0 šŸ‘ / 0 šŸ‘Ž

Still going with wiring because I've decided to relocate all the relays and fuses hidden in a box under the battery to the other side because if I have any issues on the road I would have to remove the battery and battery holder underneath, and then I would have no power which means the hazards would stop working and I would not be able to any diagnosis to see where a power fault was.

Question: currently my twin Mondeo fans are controlled from a temp sender in the top righthand side of the radiator (pic below). The MSD throttle body has two outputs to control the fans triggered by a temp sender at the front of the inlet manifold (pic below). Should I use these instead?

Thoughts?

All times are Australia/Sydney
Page 47 of 47

Jump to:

TopPostersToday
No Posts Today

LatestForumPosts
Last 10 Forum Messages
Another Two Mustangs Saved from the Crusher
Last post by hybrid in Mustang Projects on Aug 16, 2022 14:06:30