I think I may have bought the wrong gasket set

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

I think I may have bought the wrong gasket set

Post by lukep6470 »

So I've started the build of "The Engine to Come". The stack injection is tuned in on the 289 and my Dart SHP 347 short block just arrived.

I went for the Fel-Pro FS8548PT-16 full gasket set as I will be using the old style timing cover and water pump and don't need a late model EFI gasket.

Are the head gaskets in this set suitable for a 4.030 motor? If not what do you guys recommend?
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: I think I may have bought the wrong gasket set

Post by Shaunp »

Dart, won't it be a 4 1/8 bore? ie a 363. If not bore it to that and forget the 347. Most gaskets go to 60 thou.
lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by lukep6470 »

It's a complete short block from dart. Forged pistons and rods with a cast crank.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Ok just lay the gaskets on the block, and check them they should be fine 30 thou is less then 1mm, as I said very few gaskets, are only for standard bore.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Do you want the best head gaskets (in my view anyway) ?

So get a set of MLS gaskets. Expensive buggers and they are a little short so you need a dab of RTV into the top corners of the head surface to seal correctly. If so then a set of FEL-1133 gaskets are the go. I used these on Cages build and gbx78 (since he has the supercharger).

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fel-1133
I will someday think of something clever to say.