Rear disc brake adapters

Need help on paint, paint prep, welding, engines etc?

Moderator: Moderators

66STNG
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Rear disc brake adapters

Post by 66STNG »

Hi guys,
I'm after some info. Has anyone used ford AU rear brakes on an 8" diff. I know you can get EB to mustang adapters but I'm looking to put AU rear brakes on the mustang.
If it is just as easy as buying adapters plates like the front disc ones, then all is good.
Does anyone have any ideas or experience
66 basket case
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Rear disc brake adapters

Post by boofhead »

Why stuff around. This is a kit I have used in the past.

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/s ... /make/ford

There is also cross drilled options as well.

As always there are many more options though the above kit is very good value.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
66STNG
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 66STNG »

I've looked at that kit and yes it looks the goods,
However I've hot a complete AU series 3 diff with everything on it, including the handbrake assembly.
Just want to look at my options and if they are cost effective.
66 basket case
shaun071
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by shaun071 »

The problem is the diff flange bolt pattern is rotated 90 degrees compared to the 8 inch. I have seen people fit the AU flange to an 8" or 9" housing and bolt them on. I bought the Hoppers kit to fit BA brakes onto a 8" or 9 inch. Wasn't cheap @ $1300 though. They use their own caliper mount that gives you the option of having the caliper forward or rearward. Maybe chat to them as the do an AU style kit as well.
66STNG
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 66STNG »

Just keeping this post in the front page,
Does anyone have any ideas
66 basket case
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

I had a quick look at a El falcon wagon diff and brakes with leaf springs i recently pulled out, they are the same as AU apparently. The one thing that probably wouldnt work like the EB set up i put in mine in order to clear the springs is to clock it 45 Deg so 2 holes line up on the diff flange and drill the other 2. It would need to be clocked 90 Deg and redrill all 4 holes. Other than that the rest is a mystery untill i or someone attempts the mod, i would say it still need piss farting around to get correct spacing as on my build to be able to get new brake pad clearance, as the axle bearings are spaced differently on the axle same as the one in my build, link below.... The mod starts near the bottom of page 1 to about pge 3, sorry its not very clear because it was at the time i had to transfer all the posts from the MOCA forum and some bits and pieces and posts from others are missing.

http://www.mustangtech.com.au/Forums/vi ... art=0.html

EL Falcon wgn with leaf springs