Leaf springs

Need help on paint, paint prep, welding, engines etc?

Moderator: Moderators

66STNG
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Leaf springs

Post by 66STNG »

Hi,
Would like some feed back please.
I'm installing reverse eye leaf springs in the 66.
Question.
Do I go 4 leaf or 5. 99% of the time I will be driving by myself. I'm concerned that 5 leaf may be a little stiff/ harsh.
Any thoughts....
66 basket case
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Re: Leaf springs

Post by xpconnor »

I had the same question when I was looking at rear leaf springs for my car. Some people complained about the 4 leaf being a bit soft while others criticised the ride of the 5 leaf as being too harsh. I couldn't decide so I split the difference and went with 4.5 springs. Car isn't on the road yet so can't give any feedback but seems like a logical option to me for a car with a few extra hp but won't see any track work.
"The Mustang is full of Awesome"
MaxPower
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by MaxPower »

I'd go the stiffer option. Nothing worse than a saggy ass scraping on the ground :moon:
"There's 3 ways to do things. The right way, the wrong way, and the Max Power way."

"Isn't that the wrong way?"

"Yeah, but faster!"
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Like every thing it is not just the spring. You need to also think about the shocks. They should (and do) work together to produce the behavior your after.

The rate of the spring should also be considered in combination with the the front spring rate as well as sway bar sizing.

So ask your self -
1) Are you looking for a car that has a flat handling track type of feel or
2) Stock comfort oriented feel or
3) Something in between?

Your answers for the whole suspension set up comes from the answer to the question.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
66STNG
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 66STNG »

Boof,
Agree, with you in relation to whole effect set up. I was hoping someone out there is running reverse eyes 4 and 5 leaf and how do they rate them.
66 basket case
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

I am running, as a part of my goals, a 5 leaf reverse eye set up though it is only rated at 165lbs while most are around 200lbs rating. I like it though I would think it is likely a little stiff for most people. As I said it is just where I wanted it as I wanted a firm ride for strong handling while still being streetable as I tend to throw my cars around a little.
66STNG
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 66STNG »

Ok,
So after some research,advice and speaking to the supplier.
I bought the 5 leaf reverse eye springs today.
And while I was there I got a bit excited and spent another grand on stuff...hoping the wife doesn't see the credit card statement........
:joy:
66 basket case
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Excellent. What were the other goodies (that you did not buy other than the kitchen gear)?