67 bonnet release cable modification

Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

67 bonnet release cable modification

Post by scott66stang »

I was asked how I did the bonnet cable release on my 66 using a XY one as a donor. Unfortunately I didnt document anything but did have some pics and I went and had a look to refresh my memory.
Meanwhile I found that the person asking had a 67 which had a totally different set up and the XY mod wasn’t practical.
So I went to the shed and pulled the one from my 67 bonnet i have stored away to have a closer look.
After a sandblast to remove all the rust and grime I was able to see how it worked. As I also have a 67 that one day may see the road ………? :smiley: I thought I may aswell rig something up for mine and help a Fellow Forumite out at the same time.
Here is what I came up with. This uses the original 67 lever secondary catch without activating the main catch.
I will put up my 66 mod later.

First of all give it a good clean preferably a sand blast so you can see what is going on and to get a good welding surface.

This is the top view which sits in the recess of the bonnet

Next remove the lever spring and bend the tab back so the lever can be accessed better for welding. The tab can be bent back later if room allows but is not necessary.

Next bend straight this activation lever, this is the one that normally raises the lever above to disengage the main bonnet latch . I found the easiest way was to clamp latch in the vice to avoid spreading and use a screw driver to lever it straight, then vice grips to squash flat against the side.

Next we need a new lever for the cable. Look around your shed I just cut up an old bracket from bunnings for the exercise and have just tacked in for now. There may be parts from the donor car catch you get the cable from.
This one is 30mm long which is the absolute max length you can use to get clearance to the inside of the bonnet with full latch adjustment. I would go for 25mm as a good length., it doesn’t need a lot of effort to pull the cable.

Weld this to the lever just behind that tab that was bent back earlier, obviously further back towards the pivot the better, but you may find it hard to get the welder in there. Again this one is just tacked in one spot for removal later, and is strong enough to work, but you should be able to get few fairly decent tacks around it with a mig.

. Image

next make the cable fastener, slot/ clamp or what ever you use from your donor. I made mine out of that bracket.
You must leave enough room for the movement of the secondary catch lever next to the cable holder "to the right of the plastic cable surround on my set up"

Put the spring back on and there you have it.

This bonnet cable I used is from a 1990 Celica and is 2.2m long, I think a EB, EF Falcon one should be longer, I cant get to my EF atm as it has another car and scrap metal on it..
The longer the better so it can be threaded through the firewall to a donor lever under the dash and possible threaded through the bonnet side turrets. A wagon or sedan boot release cable should be longer aswell. Later i found the Celica fuel hatch cable was 3.7m long and the boot release was 3m long, these both had the same fittings as the bonnet cable and would be plenty long enough to route any way you like.
Last edited by scott66stang on Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
OzStang390
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Re: 67 bonnet release cable modification

Post by OzStang390 »

Thank you for posting this mod :thumbs:
My project is a 1-of-1 1967 Mustang Hardtop, Beige Mist Paint, Black Trim, 390-4V Engine, C-6 Select-Shift Cruise-O-Matic, 3:1 9" Diff, Power Disc Brakes, Power Steering, 7.35X14-4 Ply Rated Tires, White Rayon Sidewall Tires, Exterior Decor Group, Interior Decor Group, Tinted Glass, Selectaire - Air Conditioner, Black Décor Bucket Seats, Centre Console, Roof Console, AM Radio, Hinged Gas Cap and a warped nut that holds the steering wheel!!
My wife's project is: ME!!
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Cool - now slightly rework it and add it to the Tech section.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

boofhead wrote:Cool - now slightly rework it and add it to the Tech section.
Well ive sort of left that open, as everyone doesnt have access to the same things.
I just went and removed the Celica fuel door cable 3.7m and boot release 3.1m both will do the job. See "Pinto Pete" for them.
And i just looked at the 1990 Jag wreck i got and it has two bonnet lock mechanism levers one on each side with cable lock nuts that would be perfect to make mine look neat. But how many will go buy a Jag lock to cut up?
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

It will also put the release lever on the LH side of the dash & for all those with RHD, that is great as it is the least "cluttered" side of the dash ...... :like:
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
OzStang390
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by OzStang390 »

Hey Kerry, do you have a spare '67 latch you could modify and sell to me?? :D
My project is a 1-of-1 1967 Mustang Hardtop, Beige Mist Paint, Black Trim, 390-4V Engine, C-6 Select-Shift Cruise-O-Matic, 3:1 9" Diff, Power Disc Brakes, Power Steering, 7.35X14-4 Ply Rated Tires, White Rayon Sidewall Tires, Exterior Decor Group, Interior Decor Group, Tinted Glass, Selectaire - Air Conditioner, Black Décor Bucket Seats, Centre Console, Roof Console, AM Radio, Hinged Gas Cap and a warped nut that holds the steering wheel!!
My wife's project is: ME!!
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

ozbilt wrote:It will also put the release lever on the LH side of the dash & for all those with RHD, that is great as it is the least "cluttered" side of the dash ...... :like:
LOL! i thought of that last time i looked at the bonnet pic.
Found the long 3.7m Celica fuel flap cable now, so can put it on the RHS and even in the rear passenger area now :grinning:

Actually could go in under seats, console lids etc for security reasons.

So Kerry how far does the 67 setup go for in other models?
Last edited by scott66stang on Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

scott66stang wrote: So Kerry how far does the 67 setup go for in other models?
67 is similar to the 68 (68 is longer where the double prong hangs down) but close enough for the mod to work on both years. They are vastly different to the 69/70 as the lock is back on the radiator support.
Kerry

ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

OzStang390 wrote:Hey Kerry, do you have a spare '67 latch you could modify and sell to me?? :D
Yes, I certainly do NOT have one .......... :smile:

Yours missing? If so, get one & I will modify while doing the car ...... :poke:
Kerry

scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

ozbilt wrote:
OzStang390 wrote:Hey Kerry, do you have a spare '67 latch you could modify and sell to me?? :D

Or you can do this mod

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/p ... d-release/
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

scott66stang wrote:
ozbilt wrote:

Or you can do this mod

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/p ... d-release/

Wow, that's a lot of work for a remote hood latch!
mert
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by mert »

As you still have to go to the front to release the secondary catch to open the hood... unsure what real benefit the interior release really gives...???

This mod for a lock seems more useful.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/c ... -lock.html

Not sure about the 67/68 difference as most refs call out a C7ZZ-16700-C part for both '67 and '68...???

OzStang, PM me.. I may have a spare latch in good shape if you are interested...
8R01S
8R03S-GT
8F01X -EXP500 Repli-bute
8R01C-Cal Special
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

It's a bit of security to stop people opening your bonnet when you're not around.
It's something I do think about with my car from time to time.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

mert wrote:
Not sure about the 67/68 difference as most refs call out a C7ZZ-16700-C part for both '67 and '68...???
h
Here you go mert. This is the early catch found on 67 Mustangs, the part # would have been what you quoted except the last letter would have been A or B ........

This is the 68 lock that was the updated version .......

When they update a part, they no longer carry the older one, so the concourse people look for the part with the A or B (probably a B) # on them if building a 67.

68 is easy as that part was the last available, we were still buying early Mustang parts (even for '65 Mustangs) from Ford dealers into the mid '90's. Mrsozbilt's Mach used all NOS parts including interior trim, the only thing being not available at the time was carpet. Most of that stuff was purchased in '92.

BTW, I have the springs that work the '67/8 hood catch as that is the failure of the part in most cases.
Kerry