Clausens all you need primer

Need help on paint, paint prep, welding, engines etc?

Moderator: Moderators

xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Clausens all you need primer

Post by xpconnor »

Hi All

I had a panel beater/painter come and give me a hand for a day earlier this week and I was querying him about paint prep and primer as I am getting closer to that stage of my build. His recommendation for me was probably to go with the Clausen all you need polyester primer. He said it is expensive but will probably suit my situation as a novice, can be sourced locally and he has had good results with it when he has used it. Anyone out there used it or have any advice about it before I cough up the money?
"The Mustang is full of Awesome"
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Clausens all you need primer

Post by Shaunp »

I've tried it once its a polyester spray bog/primer, expensive as and doesn't go very far, used it on QLD mustang spares 53 F100, a gallon was not enough to cover the cab and front clip. if you put it on like they say, I reckon you will use about $2k worth to do a mustang. other then that it works ok. smells like fibre glass when you sand it.
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

Did you just follow the manufacturers recommendations and spray it over bare steel or did you etch/epoxy prime first?

Panel beater reckons about $500 worth should be enough to do the car so he must put it on thinner then recommended. Still seems expensive but I suppose if you normally have the cost of and epoxy or etch primer and then a highfill and whatever else is involved in that process it becomes more viable. I'll probably get the panel beater back for one more day just to finish off doing a couple more panel gaps so i can speak to him then a bit more about some other options.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

You only ever poly the repair areas, never the whole car.

I would only recommend using the same paint brand all the way from bare metal to clear coat. No one will warranty any "paint caused defects" if you use multi brands.

Reality, get the repairs right & you only need regular hi-fill primer to take out any minor imperfections.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

Having thought about this last night I think I am now leaning towards etch or epoxy priming and then hi fill primer. Is epoxy better then etch if the car might sit for a while before hi fill? Can the car sit in hi fill or is it also porous?

As you can tell I still haven't really got my head around the whole paint process. I think the trouble is there are too many options so any tips or advice on the process would be great.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

All porous until the final colour.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

No way you will do it for 500,buck, a mate of mine was working directly for the importer, and I can tell you unless the price has dropped it was bloody expensive, they gave me 1L to try free, and i purchased another 4l, if you mix it like they say and I did I was cutting it fine on a 53 F100 cab, really fine. it did work well and blocked out nice. drys very hard but rubs easy. You can put it on steel it is self etching. When you spray it on it seems to swell after a few minutes and fill the panel. I sprayed it over 269, which is what I sprayed the blasted shell with