Mike's 68

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Mike's 68

Post by mikes68 »

Cross another item off the list... Just modded the side marker lights to function as indicators. This was a very simple mod by using my old wiring end connectors from the original side marker lights and front valance parking / indicator lights. I kept a few inches of the original wiring on the connectors and basically crimped and soldered them all together to make a little harness that joins the new front park / indicator light with the side marker light. You just need to tie the middle (blue) wire and the brown wire from the supply harness to the side marker wires and it will light up as an extension to the front indicator lights.

Good thing about this is you can simply unplug the new little harness and put it back to original as there is no change to the original wiring.
Fifty Years Afloat

We can't alter the direction of the wind,
But we can adjust our sails
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Very well done Mike, why weren't the marker lights working before? I am sure you had a problem with them.
Good result all the same. :like:
mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by mikes68 »

nassi wrote:Very well done Mike, why weren't the marker lights working before? I am sure you had a problem with them.
Good result all the same. :like:
I hadn't actually followed up on that Nassi... Just figured I wanted to convert them anyway so didn't worry about it.
Last edited by mikes68 on Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fifty Years Afloat

mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by mikes68 »

Wheel alignment done!

Feels quite a bit better now, as expected. Has positive caster now and was 17mm out of whack on toe. Camber wasn't so bad but still required some adjustment.

Crossed another item off the list!
Fifty Years Afloat

Foresight
Zebras for hire
Zebras for hire

Post by Foresight »

Nice mike whats left?
Cheers,
Lee & Q
69 428 mach 1 - Guess who...it's Q!
mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by mikes68 »

Foresight wrote:Nice mike whats left?
Not much Lee...

For rego inspection:
[ ] Rearview mirror
[ ] Replace speedo cable
[ ] Parking brake handle
[ ] Wipe down oil leaks

Other:
[ ] Steering column bolts
[ ] Rear valance
[ ] Window winder knobs
[ ] Flush coolant
[ ] Wire up Meitrak tracker
[ ] Connect radio and speakers
[ ] Rear wheel studs - longer rqd
[ ] Brake warning indicator
[ ] Install door armrests
[ ] LH qtr trim Window felt
[ ] Door water seal barrier
[ ] LH door locÄ· connector
[ ] RH door lock alignment
[ ] Window seals
[ ] Fog lights
[ ] Re-cover rear seat base
[ ] Refurbish/cover convertible top
[ ] RH rear qtr extension trim
[ ] Trunk lettering
[ ] Press studs - tonneau cover

:satisfied:
Last edited by mikes68 on Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fifty Years Afloat

Caspian_64
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Caspian_64 »

Just a couple hours work left ;)
Regards,
Dom
mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by mikes68 »

COMMENCE RANT!

DAMN IT I say... DAMN IT!!!

Been thinking about the longer term solution for my wheels. Way way back I procured a set of Hustlers from a local mustang fan. The price was right and the rubber was ok however having had them in storage too long without the proper protection you can guess the state of them - that's all my fault. Probably recoverable but at a cost.

The condition of them aside I decided to try them on anyway and am decidedly pissed off that what I was sold was a mismatched set. Three of them appear to be the same and will bolt straight on however one of the rears is DEFINATELY different with my crude measurements showing a different offset and backspace. The actual thickness of the hubs where the studs and nuts pass through measure about 300 thou thicker on the odd one and so I could get longer studs for that hub but as mentioned above it would be running a different offset and backspace!

AARRGGgggghhhhh.....!

I don't believe for one minute the PO wouldn't have known this fact so SHAME ON YOU!!! (I don't think he is a member on here and no point naming him in any case).

So, I think unless I had access to a suitable lathe the cost to machine the hub to match would not be worth it...

FUCK FUCK FUCKETY FUCK!!!

Unfortunately I missed the boat on a nice set of Magnum 500's (from Ponyride) which I have ALWAYS fancied, as a result I will never speak to Rick again (ha ha - just kidding of course)

I have a set of alloy loaners for the rego inspection next week from another local MustangTech member (thank you thank you) but will be faced with the dilemma of what to do after that. Funds have DEFINATELY dried up so don't think I will be outlaying a couple of grand for some new shoes just yet...

I think that is enough venting for one night...

RANT OVER!
Last edited by mikes68 on Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:20 am, edited 4 times in total.
Fifty Years Afloat

Exhausted
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Exhausted »

Hang on to the wheels for as long as you want. They've been sitting on the rack for a while.
tim_morrison82
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by tim_morrison82 »

Mike i have a set of 12 slotters that were past on to me. I dont think i have contributed to your car much other than some labour at scotts when you were blasting it.

I have my eye on an item in lansdale thats 100 bucks off gumtree. If you can pick that up for me you can have these wheels. They need repainting, but they arent really part of my plan, so they are yours if you want them. They may need trim rings and caps as the ones i got arent the greatest.
Dreaming the dream... Living the reality...
LEEH69
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by LEEH69 »

Mike would a spacer behind the other back wheel solve the issue, if so let me know and I'll knock one up and send it to you. they are apparently illegal though
Last edited by LEEH69 on Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Longer studs & a spacer for the other wheel is a VERY cost effective solution. I would take up LEE69's offer. However you need to measure the differences accurately. Let me know if you cannot get the studs as a supplier is very close to me.

Spacers are not illegal as far as I know if done right (as LEEH69"s would be).
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Another thing, put the wheel with the spacer on the right hand rear as the left rear will get the work in a hard takeoff (burnout in Mike speak ........ :poke: ) ......
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Longer studs are generally available at CMP in Welshpool as are the spacers.
scedd
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by scedd »

ozbilt wrote:Longer studs & a spacer for the other wheel is a VERY cost effective solution. I would take up LEE69's offer. However you need to measure the differences accurately. Let me know if you cannot get the studs as a supplier is very close to me.

Spacers are not illegal as far as I know if done right (as LEEH69"s would be).

Why would anyone want spacers when they can have 12 slotters ? :fap: :fap: :fap:
The word "swims" upside-down is still "swims".
- If you rip a hole in a net, there are actually fewer holes in it than there were before