Blocking

Need help on paint, paint prep, welding, engines etc?

Moderator: Moderators

xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Blocking

Post by xpconnor »

Hey all

As I stated in my build thread I am about to start blocking back my car, getting it ever closer to the colour coat. Just wondering if anyone has any advice on what's good to use and maybe just as importantly what I shouldn't use. I was going to start with a pack of the dura-blocks from my local paint guy and go from there. Any other recommendations or helpful advice appreciated. :thumbs:
"The Mustang is full of Awesome"
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Blocking

Post by hybrid »

Dura-blocks are good.
You should buy a roll of sticky paper to go with them.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Agree, I buy sticky 80, 150 and 220
66STNG
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 66STNG »

You will need guide coat, either spray or powder. I used the 3M powder, it's excellent and doesn't clog the paper..in saying that, I have not got my car back from the painters yet. When colour goes on it will test my skills.
When you buy your paper, ask your painter what he prefers for final sand. Some like dry some prefer wet?????
66 basket case
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Painters will often do the final sand themselves anyway. Even if you say you've done it.
66STNG
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 66STNG »

:like:
Agree with hybrid. My painter looked at mine and said it was fine. However he then went on to say he would re sand
Just to be sure, as when colour is on it's too late.
Anyway have fun blocking it's a blast you will love it. I'm thinking of taking it up as a hobby
NOT.....
66 basket case
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

I'm not looking forward to it either. Apparently the all-u-need sets like concrete so that should be fun. It also has a built in guide coat but I think some of the powdered guide coat will be handy for anywhere I have to add a bit of fill. I'll get some durablock, sticky paper and guide coat powder and start from there. I already have a tin of rage gold I bought for the guy who finished off my bonnet as he rated it very highly. Hopefully that will be a bit nicer to sand than the all-u-need.
unilec5544
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by unilec5544 »

I bought a set of the durablocks, very happy with them. Check out this site, lots of good info here.

https://www.autobody101.com/forums/
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

xpconnor wrote:I'm not looking forward to it either. Apparently the all-u-need sets like concrete so that should be fun. It also has a built in guide coat but I think some of the powdered guide coat will be handy for anywhere I have to add a bit of fill. I'll get some durablock, sticky paper and guide coat powder and start from there. I already have a tin of rage gold I bought for the guy who finished off my bonnet as he rated it very highly. Hopefully that will be a bit nicer to sand than the all-u-need.
No it actually sands ok, you can dry sand lots of modern primers with no guide coat, but you need it for wet sanding. Make sure you buy heaps on the all you need it dont go far. I used 5L just on the front of a 56 F100, not the tray, and really needed more.
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

Shaunp wrote:
xpconnor wrote:I'm not looking forward to it either. Apparently the all-u-need sets like concrete so that should be fun. It also has a built in guide coat but I think some of the powdered guide coat will be handy for anywhere I have to add a bit of fill. I'll get some durablock, sticky paper and guide coat powder and start from there. I already have a tin of rage gold I bought for the guy who finished off my bonnet as he rated it very highly. Hopefully that will be a bit nicer to sand than the all-u-need.
No it actually sands ok, you can dry sand lots of modern primers with no guide coat, but you need it for wet sanding. Make sure you buy heaps on the all you need it dont go far. I used 5L just on the front of a 56 F100, not the tray, and really needed more.
I've managed to get 3 coats on the car using about a can and a half so 6 litres. The bonnet only got a very light coat though and my car doesn't have a roof so that would save a couple of litres and I haven't done the inside of the panels. Still have half a can to do the bolt ons like front valance and light extensions but may need one more can too finish off. Paint shop guy said two cans would go close and three would be enough but the panel beater that helped me for a couple of days said the car is pretty good so don't go over board with it to start with. His advice was to get a bit of build on it, start blocking to see what needs fill and then depending on how it looks after that it might need another coat of all-u-need or maybe just another primer he recommended as the final coat before colour as it stands a bit easier than the all-u-need.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

yep thats right. Id just use a normal 2k primer in the Jambs etc
Last edited by Shaunp on Fri Mar 11, 2016 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.