late engines

Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

123abc
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

late engines

Post by 123abc »

thinking of putting a later engine in the 70 coupe a later style efi but still running a dizzy type engine how hard is it to adapt the harness to an early mustang or is it better to just stay with carby on top.
there are just so many more engines in the later bracket that is all .
also has anybody had experience with the holler terminator tbi injection packages
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: late engines

Post by boofhead »

The Holley EFI setups are generally good.

Putting a late EFI engine into the car is easy enough though trimming the wiring is a timely process. Now to make it easier Ford does sell an EFI harness just for this type of job and it works out well. I would purchase the aftermarket ford harness. Another option is to use a Megasquirt ECU to drive it rather than the ford ECU - in which case it is easy to wire it up (done this a few times as well).
I will someday think of something clever to say.
123abc
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 123abc »

where to get the harness I need or what is it called
just a thought a the moment seems there are so many efi engines and the old blocks are getting exy and good ones are getting hard find without stupid prices on some of them
mine is fine I just want to pull it and keep it aside as its matcing numbers
Last edited by 123abc on Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

mert
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by mert »

The new FiTech EFI setups are getting some good press. Cheaper than most others, and most I've read indicates unless going for massive Hp they do the job well...

A good thread on the item here:

http://www.californiaspecial.com/forums ... hp?t=12212
8R01S
8R03S-GT
8F01X -EXP500 Repli-bute
8R01C-Cal Special
123abc
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 123abc »

just read the fitech reviews will be keeping an eye on these I think should give holley something to think about
123abc
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 123abc »

very simple by the look maybe worth a go
shaun071
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by shaun071 »

I've heard good things about the FItech system on some US forums. I'll be getting the 400hp version which is only $795US from Summit. Sydney Speed Supplies (Procomp) are the local distributors but they want $2000 plus postage.
123abc
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 123abc »

keep me posted on how it goes is that 795 for the lot and what kit is that
mert
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by mert »

8R01S
8R03S-GT
8F01X -EXP500 Repli-bute
8R01C-Cal Special
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

It has been a revolution in this area, with the design and functionality of these electronic carburetors. The price is the same as a good carbi for the base unit so pump, minimal wiring and fuel lines, and exhaust bung welded is all that is needed. I sure see the appeal. It cannot be made any simpler. Now my concern with these new generation setups is that if anything goes wrong (such as a sensor dies, or ECU is cooked from heat soak) how easy is it to diagnose and then purchase the part to service the unit?
123abc
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 123abc »

fair point one would assume that maybe it might contain a fault reader in the led display menu
shaun071
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by shaun071 »

boofhead wrote:It has been a revolution in this area, with the design and functionality of these electronic carburetors. The price is the same as a good carbi for the base unit so pump, minimal wiring and fuel lines, and exhaust bung welded is all that is needed. I sure see the appeal. It cannot be made any simpler. Now my concern with these new generation setups is that if anything goes wrong (such as a sensor dies, or ECU is cooked from heat soak) how easy is it to diagnose and then purchase the part to service the unit?
That's exactly the appeal for me. Similar cost to a high end carb and in my case, I'll be fitting it to a stock 302 then transferring it to a 351c. No buying one carb then retuning or replacing after the engine change. Apparently the FItech tech department are very helpful.
123abc
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 123abc »

when are you fitting yours shaun
shaun071
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by shaun071 »

I'll be buying in the next week or two but fitting it might be a while off, maybe a year or so. I'm looking at using the ba fuel pump module in a 69 tank for the fuel system. I'd like to see whether the dollar goes up a bit more. Just the small rise in the last week or two has saved $70-80 on the system.