Front crank seal leaking.....again

Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

Scott66
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Front crank seal leaking.....again

Post by Scott66 »

Hi guys, the front seal on my 66 coupe has started to dribble oil again and its starting to drive me mad.
Have had the timing cover replaced and also replaced the balancer and it was dry for 3 - 4 months but now its started to weep again?

Is there any other reason for it to leak other than maybe the seal wasn't quite straight to start with although I would have thought it would have leaked straight away if that was the case?

Really hate the idea of having to get the front cover removed - again to try and reseal it.

Cheers
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Front crank seal leaking.....again

Post by hybrid »

You shouldn't have to remove the entire cover if it's just the front seal. You should just be able to remove the balancer.
Where did the seal come from? Was it decent quality?

Are you sure it's coming from the crank seal and not running down from somewhere else?
Scott66
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Post by Scott66 »

Seal was in a Victor Reinz kit? Looked to be pretty decent.
I have cleaned it right up and it certainly looks to be coming from the front seal, I will clean again and double check.
I thought the seal was pressed in from the rear?
lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by lukep6470 »

I have seen that some people put the front seal in the wrong way around. Are you positive it's the seal and not the sump gasket? If they had the timing cover off the gasket could be leaking.
Scott66
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Post by Scott66 »

I will clean it up again and run it for a short period then check again - the oil is getting flung around pretty well which makes me think its slinging off the crank.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

hybrid wrote:You shouldn't have to remove the entire cover if it's just the front seal. You should just be able to remove the balancer.
Where did the seal come from? Was it decent quality?

Are you sure it's coming from the crank seal and not running down from somewhere else?
Early timing covers the seal goes in from the back they have a lip on the front face of the cover Hybrid, the later ones come in from the front. I just uses the ones that come in the Felpro kits no issue, may have some here not sure.
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

I've had a few oil leaks with oil coming up the shaft. if it's leaking from the front of the balancer, then that could be it.
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Nuts wrote:I've had a few oil leaks with oil coming up the shaft. if it's leaking from the front of the balancer, then that could be it.
Coming out the balancer bolt thread?
Is there a hole in the crank near the front somewhere to allow oil in there? I can't remember.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Shaunp wrote: Early timing covers the seal goes in from the back they have a lip on the front face of the cover Hybrid, the later ones come in from the front.
That was a bit of a silly design really wasn't it?
Hopefully that's not it... new balancer and new seal shouldn't be leaking.
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

hybrid wrote:
Nuts wrote:I've had a few oil leaks with oil coming up the shaft. if it's leaking from the front of the balancer, then that could be it.
Coming out the balancer bolt thread?
Is there a hole in the crank near the front somewhere to allow oil in there? I can't remember.
No, oil can sometime leak down the keyway. I usually use a bit of silicon on the on the crank to eliminate this possibility.

Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

Another Canberra member, muzzieat9 had a similar problem and I think it was due to deep scoring of the seal mating area. Not sure if he replaced the cover or just used Jacko's Devils Snot to fix it.