TCP RRS mismatch Help?

Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

6T9rustang
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

TCP RRS mismatch Help?

Post by 6T9rustang »

Well the dramas are never ending. I've purchased the RRS front strut set-up and decided that lower TCP arms would go great with these, given they were superior to RRS options and factory so I purchased those. Well, bad move...after sending multible emails I've come to know that the ball joint on the TCP arm is a mopar/chrsyler unit(K772)screw in type but fits stock ford spindle(differently). And that the RRS spindle has a slightly larger hole than factory for lower ball joints.
My issue is: with the ball joint mismatch..the shaft of the ball joint goes too deep into the spindle. This raises the lower arm to the point that, when on full lock the bump pad of the spindle hits on the bottom corner of the lower arm instead of the correct steering bump on the end of the strut camber/castor rods(also TCP) which lessons my steering lock hugely...

Question: How can I fix this? would a tapered sleeve over the TCP ball joint fix this? Will this affect the geometry?

PS..I gotta say I'm very disappointed when these so called aftermarket performance enhancements claim they replace the factory items DIRECTLY when really they don't. The two variations in both of these parts has left me with a sad outcome. They were supposed to be factory replacements. Had the ball joint and spindle holes been un-changed this mis-match wouldn't occur. Rant over.
Last edited by 6T9rustang on Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mmmm....mustangs.....
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: TCP RRS mismatch Help?

Post by boofhead »

Indeed the tapered sleeve would work. I have used them in the past to solve similar situations. Once you do it no idea if the turning circle will be better. In any case, the life of using after market parts is spending time to make them work together. I understand your frustration.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

It will not change the RRS geometry. However that is not a good outcome IMO. I assume you have the McPherson struts?

The TCP does fit & directly to the stock Mustang spindle. Yes it is a Chrysler Volare joint. They are a good ball joint & easily replaced (however never had an issue with them to need replacement) as they are available at most generic parts shops in the USA.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

I think the RRS spindle is Holden Commodore which are also a press in joint. You may be able find Holden joint that fitts both. Personally I wouldnt both with any of this stuff. But start with an early commodore Vc etc. EA on Falcon also use a press in lower
Last edited by Shaunp on Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Shaunp wrote:I think the RRS spindle is Holden Commodore which are also a press in joint. You may be able find Holden joint that fitts both. Personally I wouldnt both with any of this stuff. But start with an early commodore Vc etc. EA on Falcon also use a press in lower
As Shaun say's, Commodore stuff; well mine is anyway.
Commodore rotors and calipers so the spindle may be also. Mine is VR/VS.
6T9rustang
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by 6T9rustang »

Thanks for the help guys. I shall blunder forth and hopefully fix this problem. a US Chrysler/holden ball joint required...lol

ozbilt: yes mate, I have the Mcpherson struts. I'm happy to stay with the K722 ball joints but yeah....what's next? Anyone in Perth know of a good rod shop that could make something custom?
mmmm....mustangs.....
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Try Trev at Vintage Rod and Custom. He did the mods on my F100 chassis.
http://www.vintagerodandcustom.com.au
6T9rustang
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by 6T9rustang »

Cheers Nassi.
I've been googling hard and may have a fix. These guys stock different length K772 ball joints so I could have a measure up and select a length(longer than the TCP unit supplied) to extend the distance between spindle and lower control arm. http://www.speedwaymotors.com/HOWE-K772 ... 13056.html
If not, rod shop.
Last edited by 6T9rustang on Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
mmmm....mustangs.....
booah
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by booah »

Good to see your getting back into it Russ. Any pics on progress?

Denton
6T9rustang
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by 6T9rustang »

haha Denton, no mate no pics yet... my hand was forced with this work. Billet Specialties decided to stop making the wheels I have and I havn't ordered the fronts(3 years ago)...so after a panic call to them I had to get measuring and get an order in before they said no to my order. On measuring I discovered this ball joint issue as well. It seems I'm not alone with this ball joint issue, but onto a fix for now... http://fyi.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=2394
mmmm....mustangs.....
cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by cage »

Which wheels are they Russ, pics?
"The simple answer is, even if I have decided I still don't know what to do."
6T9rustang
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by 6T9rustang »

Billet Specialties SLC 77 18 x 11 (BS 5.25")P335/30 rear & 18 x 9 front(BS 5.75")P275/35 Image

Last edited by 6T9rustang on Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mmmm....mustangs.....