Handbrake not working very well

Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

ACTstanglover
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Handbrake not working very well

Post by ACTstanglover »

For some time I have been having issues with my handbrake on my 65 fastback. Main reason this is an issue is that I live on a sloped driveway and can park it in gear in the driveway but I need the handbrake as well. I believe it has a new cable but the handbrake does not stop the car rolling on slopes, even if I pull it on as hard as I can. I am led to believe that the under dash handbrakes are not that great on these cars. Car is running standard drums on rear, disk brakes on front.

I am going to use non-mechanic speak to describe what I have done. I have adjusted the brake adjustment wheels on each drum, and then adjusted the nut on the cable where it comes from the handbrake and splits off into left and right side cables to each wheel (not sure what you call the adjuster thingy). It appears the cable is very tight from the handbrake assembly down to the bracket where it then splits off into two cables. The two cables appear to have a bit of give in them and aren’t as tight as the other cable but maybe that is standard.

Has anyone got any ideas for what else I can do to improve the hand brake.

If I need to post pics then let me know and I will take some.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Handbrake not working very well

Post by boofhead »

They are not the best because they tend to provide uneven pull on each side. One side though should be fully locked especially if your running drums. Good clean cables and rest of the mechanism it should hold the car no problems. Look into areas where the cable does not move well. Adjust it where needed. Drums need to be adjusted correctly. Just basics really.
Last edited by boofhead on Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
C5ZZHIPO
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Re: Handbrake not working very well

Post by C5ZZHIPO »

Time to ditch the rear cables and install new puppies. Over the years, with countless operations, those cables will stretch to the point they are useless. New cable are cheap.

Mark
A prophet will not be known in his own lifetime.