Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

GMG
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

3 Tech Questions - Suspension, Diff Ratio & Mirrors

Post by GMG »

Hi all,

Looking for some feedback from the experts about 2 parts of White Noise.

1. The suspension needs an upgrade, looking for directions to take to improve it vs cost for the highest end replacement stuff.

2. Considering changing the stock Diff Ration to 3.5 gears, anyone done it, hate it, love it, etc.

3. Need better side mirrors, any recommendations.

Regards

GM G
My Ride is White Noise
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: 3 Tech Questions - Suspension, Diff Ratio & Mirrors

Post by boofhead »

1) Suspension - Depends on what you want to achieve. I would look to replacement stock type setup though use higher rated springs, front bar and shocks = new ever thing - only rubber bushes. You could do shelby drop (see tech section) and adjustable caster bars (by modifying stock bars).

2) I am running a 3.55:1 before and after an over drive. Good in both cases, though depending on your motor, a stock engine to high rpm on highway. Overdrive it is to long in which case I would go 3.8:1 as a minimum.

3) I have used stock style round on both sides. I do prefer to tern the head and look than use side mirrors.
Last edited by boofhead on Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 3 Tech Questions - Suspension, Diff Ratio & Mirrors

Post by ozbilt »

Boof has given the right advice IMO. No need to change any of what Ford installed other than upgraded springs/shocks (Koni) and fit adjustable caster bars. Fitting camber adjusting pins is also a good idea.

BTW I have adjustable caster bars in stock for change over. ☺
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet