Newbie RHD steering issues

Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

Mickstang
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Re: Newbie RHD steering issues

Post by Mickstang »

Thanks Hybrid and yes a bit of a bodgie job but it has been sitting around untouched for a few years before I bought it. Was imported to SA 1990 and passed through a few owners so my problem now. Difference is I'm more determined and will get it done but might take a couple of years or six!
I ended up downsizing the photos by emailing to myself but will try the photobucket next time but NOT being an IT guy could take a while!
Eventually I had to realize my mid-life crisis would arrive so I finally bought a Mustang to get started on it
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

The link in my post is a step by step with screenshots to help. I think the photobucket site has changed slightly since that post was written, but it should all be very similar.
After you've done it once, you should be right. Plenty of non-techie people work it out quickly.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

You could try talking to John Greene at Probe engineering in Brisbane, he has done them and may be able to mod your drag link and provide drilling templates,for the rails he is kind of retired now, but its worth a shot.
Mickstang
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Post by Mickstang »

Thanks ShaunP might give John Greene a call sometime. The right rail has already been drilled/modified but I've removed the welded 10mm plate and now the falcon pitman arm hits the rail. If I go with the falcon set up will need to redo the rail and add a section for the lower mounting bolt. With my welding skills not too flash would rather get someone to do it properly. Only problem is the blokes that know what they're doing are booked solid and I want to sort this out sooner so I can get on with the rest of the project. Pretty sure you don't need to modify falcon drag link but will ask John Greene. Cheers Mick
Eventually I had to realize my mid-life crisis would arrive so I finally bought a Mustang to get started on it
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

I would try and stay with the box. Having said that TCP also have a 71-72 mustang option.

http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/rack.html

There are a number of guys here using their rack in this forum.

I will be visiting John on Friday so I assuming I remember I will ask. Lunch is a good time to call him.
Last edited by boofhead on Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

The RRS rack only works with their mcpherson struts. Using just the rack will give you a car with a lousy turning circle.

Google RRS before ever buying anything.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
Mickstang
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Post by Mickstang »

Thanks Boofhead and have looked at the TCP but at $3095 USD plus a few hundred shipping gets a bit expensive
I can try to call John but difficult for me during the day so if you remember would be much appreciated and if he wants more info/photos perhaps I can email him the info?
Ozbilt I have come across the RRS turning circle and struts issue before but seems to relate to early mustangs and yes I have Googled extensively RRS with a fair bit of negative feedback but mostly from over 5 years ago. Maybe they've picked up their game? I'm not overly bothered with the turning circle but will research it further.
I agree and would like to stick with the falcon set up but it needs to be set up right plus get through DOT/engineering but I don't (yet) have the experience or knowledge to do it myself
Mickstang
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Post by Mickstang »

Thanks for all your help on this everybody
I've decided with my situation to go with the RHD RRS power rack set up
Just don't have access to enough info on these later Mustangs regarding RHD or is it a secret?
I will certainly post any negative or positive feedback regarding RRS and their product
Enjoying the forum including the banter between the regulars but would be good if more 71-73 guys come on board
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Good to see you have a direction to go. I hope you start a build thread. We love build threads.
I will someday think of something clever to say.