Headers for a 408W in a 66 Mustang Convertible

Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Headers for a 408W in a 66 Mustang Convertible

Post by Edz66Vert »

After some help on which headers to get for my 66 Mustang 408W and AOD.

I've been told the following fit:

JBA mid lengths/shortys? 1653's $758 us plus us post ($1250 aud from Harrys, $1018 aud Summit) - state they fit AOD/C6/C4 - look like they'll fit well
Accufabs - $1000 US? 6-8 week order and don't sell outside US so would have to have a contact in the US
Hooker - long and hang down?
Hedman Long Tubes (black paint) $249 US plus US post at Mustangs Unlimited - the length worries me and hanging down for clearance?
Hedman Elite Shorty Ceramic 88658 $796 Au from summit. Hedman list them as fitting, no mention of AOD however.

I've heard some of them need bashing to fit. I'm thinking Hedman Elite Shorty's? I've asked Hedman if they fit with the AOD box otherwise I'll have to go the JBA's I think for the extra $220.

Anyone who's had experience with these, which do you recommend and why?
Last edited by Edz66Vert on Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Checkout my car builds - edzv8s.com
66 Convertible Bench Seat AODE 3.5 9"
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Headers for a 408W in a 66 Mustang Convertible

Post by boofhead »

Shorties are generally not long enough that the gearbox becomes a factor.
Check on the thickness of the header flange for the headers - I think the elites are the best due to the flange width.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

You can use a remailer like comgateway or ShopMate (Aus post) to send to a US address and have it redirected.
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

boofhead wrote:Shorties are generally not long enough that the gearbox becomes a factor.
Check on the thickness of the header flange for the headers - I think the elites are the best due to the flange width.
The elite has the thicker flanges and pipes and is not much dearer than the non-elite.

351w in 66
Elite 88658 Mid 0.375" flange
Std 88650 Mid 0.25" flange

I just have a feeling I have an email from Hedman saying the shortys wouldn't fit an AOD (I'll check when I get home), have found a number of links to people who have fitted them without a problem so you are probably correct.
Last edited by Edz66Vert on Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

hybrid "You can use a remailer like comgateway or ShopMate (Aus post) to send to a US address and have it redirected."

Good point, I also have an importer locally who flies stuff in every week and because of his volume they seem to deal with him even when they won't deal with other private international buyers.

Summit do both headers so not a problem, just have to decide which one.
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

Hedman did send me an email. They won't guarantee that their headers will fit aluminium heads. They said the Hedman PN# 88650- Mid Length and Hedman PN# 88660- Long Tube might fit. Then in the next email they won't fit with a convertible either and said call Hedman Husler!

'Thank you for choosing Hedman Hedders.

Unfortunately, we are just the manufacturer and do not do any retail sales. You would need to contact Jegs or Summit and purchase the part through them. Good news is they ship to Australia!

I have listed below the 2 hedders we offer for your application along with the vehicles fitment notes. Please read them carefully and keep in mind our hedders are designed to work with Stock cast iron cylinder heads and will not work with aluminum aftermarket heads. If you do have aftermarket heads please advise and I will get you directed to Hedman Husler."

'Thank you for providing that information. These hedders are not designed for Aluminum heads and we do not have any hedders for Convertible vehicles. Due to vast differences in construction of convertible frames, x members, boxed chassis, heavy duty suspension etc. Hedman cannot guarantee a perfect fit on these applications.

Hedman Husler does offer hedders for these heads however they may tell you the same thing about the convertible or recommend a mid length.

Give them a call at: Hedman Husler 770-664-8880'

Looks like it's the JBA's from Summit!
Edz66Vert
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Edz66Vert »

I've decided to take a punt and go with the Hedman Elite Shorty Ceramic 88658 $796 Au from summit, hopefully they fit!