Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Lowered springs

Post by Husky65 »

Hey fellas,
So I do have a question to ask. After 'adjusting' my kffl-59 to the ride height I like, when the suspension is at full drop they are pretty loose on the perch. The passenger side in particular(I seem to have a 1" difference left to right).
When I first took the passenger side out, before it was cut, I got it out without a spring compressor. I just used a ratchet strap to compress is every so slighty to get over the spring perch and she was out.

Now that I took a bit off, it sits on loosely, even with the shock back on. And I mean loose, as in there is a gap between the spring and perch. Once it gets to 3/4 droop and below, it's fine as there is enough pressure on it.

Is this a no no? I'm not planning to do any jumps with the car, however I'm also not a fan of having to locate the spring every time I jack up the car. Will it effect the operation of the shock at all, as I'm compressing the shock a fair bit at my ride height?
Is the only solution to get shorter shocks(if there are any) if I want to keep this ride height.

The other thing I was thinking was to get adjustable coilovers in there if I can't get this sorted.
Last edited by Husky65 on Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
66STNG
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Re: Lowered springs

Post by 66STNG »

Why are you NOT going to jump the car......
That's what they are for ?..phffffff
66 basket case
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Mate I might jump my AU wagon before I get rid of it, but not the stang.

In regards to the question, can I use spacers under the upper shock mount to lift the shock up and stop the spring from being loose?

Also, do coil spring isolators definatley adhere to the 2:1 motion ratio? ie would a 1/4" isolator give a 1/2" ride height difference?

So many questions :help:
Last edited by Husky65 on Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

1. :wwp:

2. Yes, helpful if the shock bottoms out. wont make a difference, you would need to lift the spring perch which would change your ride height.

3. No dont think so...
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Pinto-Pete wrote: 2. Yes, helpful if the shock bottoms out. wont make a difference, you would need to lift the spring perch which would change your ride height.
Is that in regards to the shimming the upper mount question?

If it is, not sure how it would effect ride height? It would stop the perch lowering as much under droop, but wouldn't the shock just compress more than normal when on the ground and the ride height stay the same?
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

sorry was thinking about your loose spring, spacing your top mount will bring the shock back closer to it's standard stroke but have no effect on your spring.
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Yeah cool. I might space the shock up a bit so it stops the spring from being loose on full droop.
ants
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by ants »

Husky65 wrote:Yeah cool. I might space the shock up a bit so it stops the spring from being loose on full droop.
Just be careful how much you pack it up. Don't want to risk the top of the shock hitting the bonnet.
Never looked before to see how much clearance there is...just be careful the first time you close the bonnet or you might end up with 2 dents in the bonnet.
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

ants wrote:
Husky65 wrote:Yeah cool. I might space the shock up a bit so it stops the spring from being loose on full droop.
Just be careful how much you pack it up. Don't want to risk the top of the shock hitting the bonnet.
Never looked before to see how much clearance there is...just be careful the first time you close the bonnet or you might end up with 2 dents in the bonnet.
:like:
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

So i spaced the shock up 10mm and now the spring is tight in there. There is also clearance to the hood. :spoton: