What Spring COmpressor?

Need help on paint, paint prep, welding, engines etc?

Moderator: Moderators

Chux
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

What Spring COmpressor?

Post by Chux »

Need to remove the springs on the 70 to replace the control arms and clean up the inner guard area.

The searches come up with a compressor that is available ex USA that goes down inside from the shock hat, however @ US$100 plus post for something I will use most likely once for removal and once when new springs go in.

What's available in Aus that works for a decent price as an alternative?
Cheers

Craig
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: What Spring COmpressor?

Post by boofhead »

you can easily make one.

or cramp ones can work - get from super dump.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
Chux
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Chux »

boofhead wrote:you can easily make one.

or cramp ones can work - get from super dump.
Ok - Ill bite on making one - can weld have stuff to make from.

Google plans?
Cheers

Craig
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

http://dazecars.com/dazed/spring.html

This bolts to the perches

This bolts to the shock tower brackets

Nut and top bracket are just wound down in the picture for storage.
Last edited by Dwayne on Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

yep - can also start with old shock cut it up and some threaded bar 1 inch and a plate with a bearing. Above is a good example.
Last edited by boofhead on Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

The one I have is the the bottom of and old shock welded to threaded rod with a plate at the top. i use the front bearing from a gearbox on the top so the nut turns ease.
Chux
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Chux »

Thanks all.

I thought I posted a response a few days ago - don't know what happened.

So Shaun - seems we know someone in common. Andrew from Manly West with the MG and building the flathead Ford rod. We were out on Saturday and he was showing me pics of someone down this ways blue 65 coupe and he was saying that he would have to take me on the Wynnum Mustang rounds.
Cheers

Craig
lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by lukep6470 »

One you don't have to throw the spring on the road when the compressor has half let go and the other half bent!! I had the Supercheap ones do that on an XY. Only use the cheap ones once then throw away.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Chux wrote:Thanks all.

So Shaun - seems we know someone in common. Andrew from Manly West with the MG and building the flathead Ford rod. We were out on Saturday and he was showing me pics of someone down this ways blue 65 coupe and he was saying that he would have to take me on the Wynnum Mustang rounds.
Oh yeah Ive known Andrew for many years, the 65 belongs to Astroboy on this forum but he lives in Bathurst, it started off me just building him an engine for it, but his panel beater was kind of at a loss how to fix it, it was pretty rusty, so he sent it up to me and Gavin to fix, by all means come over and have a look its a bloody nice car now, almost done. If you need any advise on yours just let me know. You have a 67 right? come over I'll loan you the spring compressor
Last edited by Shaunp on Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chux
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Chux »

Shaunp wrote:
Chux wrote:Thanks all.

Oh yeah Ive known Andrew for many years, the 65 belongs to Astroboy on this forum but he lives in Bathurst, it started off me just building him an engine for it, but his panel beater was kind of at a loss how to fix it, it was pretty rusty, so he sent it up to me and Gavin to fix, by all means come over and have a look its a bloody nice car now, almost done. If you need any advise on yours just let me know. You have a 67 right? come over I'll loan you the spring compressor
I've got a 70 M1, love pottering away at it - doing floors and torque boxes at present. But suspension is coming out and inner guards cleaned up as well.

I just need to decide whether its better to spend $1400 on wilwood 12" front discs and keep stock drum spindles or put in the XY spindles and falcon brakes. By the time I get XY spindles, XF calipers, new discs, decent pads its got to be pushing $800 I'm guessing.

I'll take you up on the offer as soon as I get back - down in Sydney (Manly) for 3 weeks with work from Monday. I live at Cannon Hill.
Cheers

Craig
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

The Falcon spindles have to be modified as well, so add that cost.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
Chux
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Re: What Spring Compressor?

Post by Chux »

ozbilt wrote:The Falcon spindles have to be modified as well, so add that cost.

Thanks Kerry

I didn't know that bit. I thought it was just use XY outer tie rods? What is the spindle mod?
Cheers

Craig
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Chux wrote:

Thanks Kerry

I didn't know that bit. I thought it was just use XY outer tie rods? What is the spindle mod?
Spindle on the Falcon is 5/8" taller, so top A arm is in different position, but the biggest difference is the tie rod locating point, that has to be heated & changed (meaning an Xray on each spindle)
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Chux wrote:

Thanks Kerry

I may have some brake stuff here Mate I think. but you may need to buy Astroboy a beer, there are some brakes we took of his 65 to fit original type KH brakes on it, These are US Granada brakes, this would be usable on a 70, similar to Falcon. I may have some XY calipers etc around as well, which are basically a Girlock made KH Mustang caliper.