ford buld in68 factory

Need help on paint, paint prep, welding, engines etc?

Moderator: Moderators

boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

ford buld in68 factory

Post by boofhead »

I thought this was good
I will someday think of something clever to say.
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: ford buld in68 factory

Post by Nuts »

A most entertaining film Boof, Ta.
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
JET-445
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Post by JET-445 »

When I watch those old films I am amazed by the tooling and machinery they had, it must have been a mammoth task to build the assembly line and if just one machine failed the whole line would fail. The other thing that stands out is how horrible it would have been to work on the assembly line !!.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Note the microphone amplified the noise of the facilities. Reality only the steel plants are noisy, yes so parts of the line are, but generally you could have a conversation without yelling.

Considering by 68 the Mustang was a top seller, you can still see that the top brass still ignored it and produced a film around, what they thought, was the company flagship. I was this kind of thinking that turned the state of Michigan into a backwater.

The Thunderbird line is Wixom Michigan (they built the Ford GT's there before it closed in 2007) and funny they show a Landou being built (the Edsel of the late sixties).

At the time, Ford (with the T,bird, Galaxy and Lincoln Continental) , GM (Cadillac and Oldsmobile) and Chrysler we're world leaders in build quality. Mercedes we're studying them to improve their own car and they turned out to be fast learners. The Japanese we're also studying hard and again it was easy because all those American cars were exported to both those countries.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Its interesting to watch these old movies, there are a lot English ones on you tube as well, if you compare the ford ones to the Jag ones you note how even the Mk 2 jags, in particular the engines were much more hands on particularly when it comes to engine balance etc and they road tested every jag, probably because they didn't have dynos. They used to smack the valve seats into the alloy heads with hammer.
Last edited by Shaunp on Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Here is the making of MK 2 Jag video , note the attention to detail on the engines with respect to balance etc even down to balancing the crank with the clutch, and also the the blocks are painted internally with Glyptol not to mention hitting the seats in to the heads with a hammer. such a contrast, these 60's jags were really a hand built car, and I guess thats why the were more expensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKJPFRNO344
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

good video - thanks
I will someday think of something clever to say.