Water injection

Need help on paint, paint prep, welding, engines etc?

Moderator: Moderators

hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Water injection

Post by hybrid »

Husky65 wrote:
hybrid wrote:I've put the feelers out for a source of methanol that isn't too difficult.
If I can't find one, I might buy some snow boost juice for now (track) and then test with Methylated Spirits later. Which ever way I go, I want to make it easy to source the potion so it's not a pain in the ass.
Whitey's Workshop in merrylands is well known source of methanol. He used to charge $1.30 a litre or something like that a while ago, might have gone up now.

Whitey's Workshop - 9897 3148

There is a place near eastern creek that stocks the powerplus products, a bit more expensive though.
Called Whiteys Workshop and asked if they still sell methanol.

"Well we can't afford to give it away, so yeah we have been selling it" :snigger:

So I will go and visit them before the weekend. Sounds like a nice bloke.
Husky65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Husky65 »

Awesome! Did he tell you a price?
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

No... I didn't really care. I'm not going to use enough of it to worry too much.
All the older threads I saw said it was cheaper than ULP.

However if you're using methanol as fuel, you use a lot more of it than ULP, so it's more expensive in that sense.
I will update here when I know how much it was.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

hybrid wrote:
Husky65 wrote:
hybrid wrote:I've put the feelers out for a source of methanol that isn't too difficult.
If I can't find one, I might buy some snow boost juice for now (track) and then test with Methylated Spirits later. Which ever way I go, I want to make it easy to source the potion so it's not a pain in the ass.
Whitey's Workshop in merrylands is well known source of methanol. He used to charge $1.30 a litre or something like that a while ago, might have gone up now.

Whitey's Workshop - 9897 3148

There is a place near eastern creek that stocks the powerplus products, a bit more expensive though.
Called Whiteys Workshop and asked if they still sell methanol.

"Well we can't afford to give it away, so yeah we have been selling it" :snigger:

So I will go and visit them before the weekend. Sounds like a nice bloke.
:rotfl2:
Last edited by nassi on Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Solenoid arrived, so I installed it last night.
I was going to drive it this morning to see how the water usage went, but my battery is on its way out and I didn't want to risk getting stuck.
I will pick up a battery today.

Here's the solenoid installed.

So this should be enough to reliably drive the car with water injection (and go to the track), although it's not the end.
I still want to do the following:

1) Install a filter - preferably a clear one. It needs to be capable of holding approximately 60PSI and I need to work out how to make it work with the push fit 6mm line.
2) Install a level sensor in the tank connected to a LED in the dash to warn when the boost juice is low.
3) Install a pressure switch in the line connected to the same LED so I know when it *should* be injecting.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Pulley left Japan yesterday, so I'm definitely not getting it before the weekend.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Me when I score some meth. My chins get just as excited.

Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

:snigger:
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

hybrid wrote:
2) Install a level sensor in the tank connected to a LED in the dash to warn when the boost juice is low.
3) Install a pressure switch in the line connected to the same LED so I know when it *should* be injecting.

How will you tell the difference if your driving the car..?
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Looking at the logs - Lots of good stuff and some odd
- MAT is odd at times
1) keeps going down through the log after the water injection is first used
2) does not go down during initial cruise drive
- some backfiring ? mucking up AFR

Pic 1
- Cruise period - good tune with 3% error -
- Hot MAT - idle period before hand? - expected MAT to drop during this period due to code air intake

Pic 2
- Boost 6.2psi run MAT drops alot showing water injection working well
- fuel pressure good
- tune still good
- MAT stays low after run - odd - cold air intake now working or water dripping?

Pic 3
- Boost run - MAT does not drop in fact goes up a little - equalised with water injection or runs out?
- MAT keeps dropping after run- odd
- duty cycle low - fuel injectors to big?

Pic 4
- crazy afr fluctuations - backfiring - high vacuum with air leak from empty water injector?

Overall very good work Hybrid - I like it.
Last edited by boofhead on Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:15 am, edited 5 times in total.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

I think the thick alloy carb hat holds temperature for a while both when hot and after being cooled by the injection.
Also, yes I think without the solenoid it was pulling water out of the nozzle all the time it was running.

Backfiring due to pulling air? Nope... nozzle is in the carb hat before the butterflies, so should have no affect.

Pic 4 might have been when it was playing up on the motorway (I think due to pulling in water when it shouldn't have been).

Forgot to mention - Methanol was $1.80 a litre, so $18 for 10L.
That will make me 20L of boost juice.

The tank was about half full of water when I picked up the methanol, so I topped the rest up with methanol. It didn't seem to have dropped after I got home (no boost runs, just checking that it didn't use any).
There seemed to be a couple of drops of water from the windscreen washer nozzle, but that's it.

So that's all good. The bad news is - no pulley arrived today, so no extra boost for Sunday.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

ok - cool work. Log the runs :poke:
I will someday think of something clever to say.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Sorry about the double post, but this is better posted here for future reference than in the WSID thread.

Here's a good visual of the no meth and meth runs side by side. Ignoring the fact that my gearbox was screaming for mercy in the meth run.
The numbers are pretty impressive. Even ignoring the numbers, it's clear that the air temp (yellow) rises in the first run as soon as we see boost.
And in the second run, it's the exact opposite - it drops as soon as we see boost, then rises again slightly after I let off the throttle and the water/meth switches off.

Full size:
https://postimg.cc/image/eq9q17w15/

All in all, water/meth injection (or even water without the meth) is a success.