Information on importing your car or parts

Moderator: Moderators

xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Duty Waiver

Post by xpconnor »

Hi Guys

Just wondering if anyone knows whether I can try and claim some of the duty back on my car or parts once it arrives in Aus. Had a look on the government website but reading that BS is doing my head in. My basic understanding is that if a part "originates" from the US I shouldn't need to pay duty on it because of the free trade agreement we have with the Yanks. What I can't work out is how I determine if a part originates from the US and if it does how can I prove it? Also read somewhere that if you can prove parts are to go on a car over 30 or 35 years old you don't pay duty on them. Can't find this on the Government sites though so may be complete BS.
jbrucem1
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Re: Duty Waiver

Post by jbrucem1 »

xpconnor, i to have heard that the free trade agreement allows tax exemption on parts originating from the US. You would most likely need a letter from the supplier stating that the parts are US Made..what parts did you buy, a lot isnt made in the US these days

on another topic, any pics of your XP?if so feel free to email me some if you have the time..jbmilgate@hotmail.com
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

Here is a link to some photos I took of the old girl when I was selling her. It was my first car, bought it when I was 16. Unfortunately I sold it about 8 years later when I was 23 or 24. Was a great daily driver, no rust in the floors or cowel and only minor bubbling in the paint above the rear wheels, and this after being driven round everyday rain hail or shine. All it needed was some new upholstery as the seats had split and the door liners were cheap. Sold it for 6K :cry:

If only I knew then what I know now 5 years on. That said if I had never sold it I would have no room for the mustang.

http://s774.photobucket.com/albums/yy27/xpconnor/
Hawko
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Hawko »

I used a broker when I bought my parts in and they sorted out all the taxes as different parts attracted different %'s. All of my parts attracted either 5% or 0% due to being for "antique motor vehicile"
I paid around $200 duty for approximately $9000 worth of parts but still paid the GST.
Not sure whether you can claim it back after you have paid it but like jbrucem1 mentioned there is a form that the supplier fills out for parts that are made in the US. Can't remember the exact name given to the form but any broker would know of it.
I didn't use the form as the supplier would have had to contact all of his suppliers to find out if they were manufactured in the US.
Foresight
Zebras for hire
Zebras for hire

Post by Foresight »

Why do we have to pay duty on our cars at all then?
Cheers,
Lee & Q
69 428 mach 1 - Guess who...it's Q!
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

Hawko wrote:I used a broker when I bought my parts in and they sorted out all the taxes as different parts attracted different %'s. All of my parts attracted either 5% or 0% due to being for "antique motor vehicile"
I paid around $200 duty for approximately $9000 worth of parts but still paid the GST.
Not sure whether you can claim it back after you have paid it but like jbrucem1 mentioned there is a form that the supplier fills out for parts that are made in the US. Can't remember the exact name given to the form but any broker would know of it.
I didn't use the form as the supplier would have had to contact all of his suppliers to find out if they were manufactured in the US.
Who was the broker and how much did he charge, if you don't mind me asking?
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

Its friggin hot over here and hotter tomorrow , im on the wine and i think it is my DUTY to give everyone a good WAIVIER.... :wave: :wave: :wave: :joy:

Cheers :drink:
Dynamic
Living the Mustang Dream
Living the Mustang Dream

Post by Dynamic »

scott66stang wrote:Its friggin hot over here and hotter tomorrow , im on the wine and i think it is my DUTY to give everyone a good WAIVIER.... :wave: :wave: :wave: :joy:

Cheers :drink:
ah wine, remember to space your wines with a good beer :thumbs:
Pete
Mustang Project:
http://dynamicstang.blogspot.com
Hawko
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Hawko »

xpconnor wrote:
Hawko wrote:I used a broker when I bought my parts in and they sorted out all the taxes as different parts attracted different %'s. All of my parts attracted either 5% or 0% due to being for "antique motor vehicile"
Who was the broker and how much did he charge, if you don't mind me asking?
I used DB Schenker as my broker only because they were freighting the parts and I thought it would be easier to deal with one company.
They would probably not be the cheapest. They charge $125 Custom agency fee, $25 Border security, $55 Customs electronic entry fee and also depending how many parts you have there is a fee for what they call additional lines. Which apparently parts fall into different catagories so attract different duty %s. All up they charged me $380 to clear my parts, but there was over 180 items.
ponyride
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by ponyride »

Foresight wrote:Why do we have to pay duty on our cars at all then?
We don't, they are exempt below a certain age. However, we pay 10% GST and then LCT as well if you bring in something over about $57,000 odd. What's the old saying about death and taxes?
Rick.

Old things amuse all minds.
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

Sounds like it might be more trouble then it is worth.

It is only around $1200 bucks of parts that Matt has loaded in the car, control arms, valances, brake kit, tail light panel, inner aprons and some other parts.

Probably pushing sh@t up hill to try and save stuff all.
"The Mustang is full of Awesome"