Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

ants
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

TKO Conversion

Post by ants »

A question for the knowledgeable.
For a while now I have been thinking about a TKO600 5 Speed Conversion in my '70 Mach 1.
Some stories I have read say they fit straight in with no transmission tunnel clearance issues, other stories say you have to massage the tunnel or fit adjustable engine mounts to lower the engine or driveshaft angles will be wrong and will end up with a vibration.
Has anyone done this to a 69-70 Mustang?
Last edited by ants on Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: TKO Conversion

Post by Shaunp »

Actually the 6 speed T56 magnum fits better due to the shape of the top. Call Mal Wood gearboxes he can tell you everything you need to know
ants
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by ants »

Thanks Sean, have considered the T56 and always take Commodores for a drive when I have one in at work with a T56 fitted (and love the box) but not sure if it's worth the extra effort. T56 bellhousing $700 v $200 for TKO adapter plate. T56 has interal slave cylinder where my car is already a manual, has external slave and only need to change clutch plate to 26 spline from 10 spline. But probably the biggest issue I think will be the cross member. A TKO will slot in with a cross member using original mounting points on the body but on the T56 the gearbox mount location is further back and a totally different cross member needs to be used so more work involved to make it fit and then may have to rework the exhaust. Just feel that the TKO will cause less dramas.
geoff289
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by geoff289 »

Modern Driveline do a "low profile" TKO they reckon will go in a 67-69 without cutting the tunnel.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/d ... k-mustang/

Probably more expensive than getting a trans out of a local car though.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

ants wrote:Thanks Sean, have considered the T56 and always take Commodores for a drive when I have one in at work with a T56 fitted (and love the box) but not sure if it's worth the extra effort. T56 bellhousing $700 v $200 for TKO adapter plate. T56 has interal slave cylinder where my car is already a manual, has external slave and only need to change clutch plate to 26 spline from 10 spline. But probably the biggest issue I think will be the cross member. A TKO will slot in with a cross member using original mounting points on the body but on the T56 the gearbox mount location is further back and a totally different cross member needs to be used so more work involved to make it fit and then may have to rework the exhaust. Just feel that the TKO will cause less dramas.
Even for T5 and AOD's I move the brace in the tunnel back and then use the stock mount. The other issue with a TKO which may not effect you is they dont like to be reved, We had one a blowen 383 chev powered E type Jag that was used for historic sprints and Hill climb we had issues with it shifting at high RPM. The car had over 700 hp at the wheels.
ants
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by ants »

geoff289 wrote:Modern Driveline do a "low profile" TKO they reckon will go in a 67-69 without cutting the tunnel.

http://www.mustangandfords.com/how-to/d ... k-mustang/

Probably more expensive than getting a trans out of a local car though.
I emailed MDL over the weekend to find out if I can purchase the low profille top cover separately and what is involed to fit it to a box that I source here.
With the time difference I don't expect a reply for at least another day or two.
ants
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by ants »

Shaunp wrote:
ants wrote:Thanks Sean, have considered the T56 and always take Commodores for a drive when I have one in at work with a T56 fitted (and love the box) but not sure if it's worth the extra effort. T56 bellhousing $700 v $200 for TKO adapter plate. T56 has interal slave cylinder where my car is already a manual, has external slave and only need to change clutch plate to 26 spline from 10 spline. But probably the biggest issue I think will be the cross member. A TKO will slot in with a cross member using original mounting points on the body but on the T56 the gearbox mount location is further back and a totally different cross member needs to be used so more work involved to make it fit and then may have to rework the exhaust. Just feel that the TKO will cause less dramas.
Even for T5 and AOD's I move the brace in the tunnel back and then use the stock mount. The other issue with a TKO which may not effect you is they dont like to be reved, We had one a blowen 383 chev powered E type Jag that was used for historic sprints and Hill climb we had issues with it shifting at high RPM. The car had over 700 hp at the wheels.
Yes, I have heard about the shift issues at higher revs, though some say the newer boxes are an improvement.
The engine isn't a high performance unit and a T5 may even suit my purpose but being a 351 I'd always be worried about breaking it on the odd time I give it a bit of stick.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Yeah I pulled it apart a few times and could not see anything wrong, but it was flaky over 6k which is the reason I dont have one in my car, I've stuck with a toploader cause ultimately my 363 will get closer to 7k
Last edited by Shaunp on Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
geoff289
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by geoff289 »

You can make a T5 plenty strong with a G Force kit.

http://www.gforceracing.com.au/product-t5.html
ants
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by ants »

geoff289 wrote:You can make a T5 plenty strong with a G Force kit.

http://www.gforceracing.com.au/product-t5.html
Might give them a call and see what they have to offer...Thanks for the link

Got an email back from MDL through the day and the good news is that a '70 doesn't need the low profile top.
According to them there are no clearance issues.
123abc
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 123abc »

I put as t5 in my 70 went in easy as even used the cable set up with the late model bell housing and early 157 flywheel