Prices of Toploaders - Reasonable or not?

Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Prices of Toploaders - Reasonable or not?

Post by ozbilt »

Shaunp wrote:
Chux wrote:Can you buy the adapter plate or can you make them up?

Is that 1/2” fuel line I see running or a trick of the eye? Seems larger than stock 3/8th?

Just wondering if the complaints about toploader shift quality in Aus related as much to the shifter design employed in our local cars compared to the Hurst Comp shifter found on Mustangs?
You can buy it or easy to make. The hurst comp plus seem very direct but I haven't driven it yet, also using a GL 4 gear oil will make them shift better, Line is 3/8 standard is 5/16
I have 2 here. Hurst adapters in two different lengths.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
lukep6470
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by lukep6470 »

Chux wrote:
lukep6470 wrote:So I had two friends that had toploaders, one was a Cortina 250 toploader (Rare factory option).

If you like stirring a box of rocks than I guess they are the gearbox for you :-)

Also you need to keep the linkages in tip top shape our else you can get locked out of all gears or stuck in one or even what happend to my dad in a cop car, get a forward gear and reverse at the same time!!
Cricket he must be old to have been driving a top loader equipped cop car. And he was in traffic as well cause no one else had v8’s ?

Can’t even remember qld having any manual traffic cars but we were country - dad brought home an unmarked Xb traffic car in bundy once but it was an auto.
He retired in the late '80s. I am pretty sure it was an XA with a toploader but don't quote me on that.
ants
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by ants »

Chux wrote: Can’t even remember qld having any manual traffic cars but we were country - dad brought home an unmarked Xb traffic car in bundy once but it was an auto.
Years ago I bought an XB sedan, 351 single rail 4 speed with 9" disc brake rear end.
It had a non factory speedo in it and when I asked the seller about he said that he bought the car when he was living in QLD and that it was an ex cop car. It was a poverty pack, just a Falcon 500 from memory and I don't think it even had a sports dash.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

lukep6470 wrote:So I had two friends that had toploaders, one was a Cortina 250 toploader (Rare factory option).

If you like stirring a box of rocks than I guess they are the gearbox for you :-)

Also you need to keep the linkages in tip top shape our else you can get locked out of all gears or stuck in one or even what happend to my dad in a cop car, get a forward gear and reverse at the same time!!
Prior to single rails any 4 speed falcon / Cortina 6 or 8 cylinder was a Toploader, Toploaders finished in XA , XB's were single rail even the GT's, You could special order a Toploader they held some back for Race cars both standard and bull nose etc. The Aussie shifters can be flaky. My XB GT was a single rail, this box I have in the mustang was intended for the XB but I got rid of the car as I preferred My 308 Torana. They are good stout box, just let them warm up, though these days with GL4 type MTF oils it slickens them up . Stick a Hurst shifter on them and you are done. Like Saginaw's & Muncie's they are proper old school muscle car boxes.
Last edited by Shaunp on Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chux
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Chux »

ozbilt wrote:
Shaunp wrote:

Is that 1/2” fuel line I see running or a trick of the eye? Seems larger than stock 3/8th?

Just wondering if the complaints about toploader shift quality in Aus related as much to the shifter design employed in our local cars compared to the Hurst Comp shifter found on Mustangs?
You can buy it or easy to make. The hurst comp plus seem very direct but I haven't driven it yet, also using a GL 4 gear oil will make them shift better, Line is 3/8 standard is 5/16
. How many days could the average car guy spend fleaing around your place checking out all your goodies before they lost interest ?
Cheers

Craig
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Chux wrote:
ozbilt wrote:
Shaunp wrote:

. How many days could the average car guy spend fleaing around your place checking out all your goodies before they lost interest ?
If I was not here, probably the time it would take to empty the place, if I was here, maybe a bit longer. I am mercenary when it comes to stuff. If I have not used it already, then it can be bought.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
smh00n
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by smh00n »

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-GT-GTH ... SwJRZaeO0A

This is the one I was thinking of. Seems to be a decent deal?
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

That's here in Adelaide:
"For sale I have a toploader complete setup. Wide ratio, bellhousing, Hurst Indy H pattern shifter, Xtreme stage 2 street/track clutch & pressure plate (500+ HP), yella terra flywheel, ARP bolts, starter spacer. Currently in running car, going auto in a few weeks.. $2750 the lot.. also have master and slave suit xr xt falcon aswell as peddles.. inbox interest..
$2,750
Adelaide"
123abc
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by 123abc »

i got an american t5 with late bell got a new 157 tooth fly wheel and rebuilt it fairly cheaply gear sets and master kits are everywhere and it bolts straight in ,mine is out of an 87 mustang gt just need to use a small gear drive starter if using a clevo and shorten your tailshaft but everything basically bolted in with cable conversion as well cross members are readily available too
Chux
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Chux »

123abc wrote:i got an american t5 with late bell got a new 157 tooth fly wheel and rebuilt it fairly cheaply gear sets and master kits are everywhere and it bolts straight in ,mine is out of an 87 mustang gt just need to use a small gear drive starter if using a clevo and shorten your tailshaft but everything basically bolted in with cable conversion as well cross members are readily available too
Thanks. Didn’t rush in and got a close ratio top loader out of a 69 mustang for a very good price compared to most boxes being advertised on eBay.
Cheers

Craig