Anyone fitted up an external Transmission cooler to a 69

Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

HappyOne
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Anyone fitted up an external Transmission cooler to a 69

Post by HappyOne »

Looking for some advice, I am trying to eliminate some heat out of my cooling system and have attempted a few things but still finding the car is running way too hot (between 195 - 225)

Understanding we have the 429 big block fitted, so not a lot of room inbetween the radiator and pulley wheels - no where near enough to install standard engine fan blades that's for sure !

Things that I have done so far:

1. Replaced standard Radiator with a ACP Aluminium radiator OEM style (or close to it)

2. fitted up two electric fans - one in front of the radiator to one side pushing the air
and one on the opposite side behind the radiator pulling the air - so fans are off set from each other.

3. fitted a full cover plate over the top of the radiator support bar to stop the air flowing over the top and not being forced through the radiator

4. replaced the water pump with a new standard water pump.

5. Fitter a new thermostat and hoses etc -- forget what temp it was though as that was awhile ago (think it may have been 165 or 185 degree Thermo ???

Currently, l have the transmission fluid running through the bottom of the radiator and wonder how much difference in temp we might get if we ran a separate transmission cooler and mounted it partially under the car - I would rather try and find a spot so we don't have to put it in front of the radiator as we also have the air conditioning cooler in front at the moment - obviously this is also adding to the issue with getting enough air flow but would like to try and find a way of eventually running the air conditioning as well.

Any thoughts ?

:shrug:
Last edited by HappyOne on Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Never Die Wondering ...What If ????

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they Wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. "
unilec5544
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Re: Anyone fitted up an external Transmission cooler to a 69

Post by unilec5544 »

What size radiator have you fitted? Also bare in mind that fitting electric fans, especially front and back, can cause a restriction as well. What size are your fans?
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

The trans isn't going to put much extra load on the radiator. Quite often, the cooler is just come pipe running back and forth through the radiator.
I'm only running an external cooler on my AOD, but that's more to avoid coolant in my gearbox should the radiator cooler fail.

There's no issue adding an external trans cooler, but I just don't think that's going to be your issue.
By the way, I would not call 195 way too hot. 225 is getting up there though.
HappyOne
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by HappyOne »

hybrid wrote:The trans isn't going to put much extra load on the radiator. Quite often, the cooler is just come pipe running back and forth through the radiator.
I'm only running an external cooler on my AOD, but that's more to avoid coolant in my gearbox should the radiator cooler fail.

There's no issue adding an external trans cooler, but I just don't think that's going to be your issue.
By the way, I would not call 195 way too hot. 225 is getting up there though.

Hybrid, you are more them likely correct,

My understanding is the current set up with the transmission fluid running through the radiator is operating the same way a shell & tube heat exchanger works. I have not really given it too much thought until recently and I guess it also largely depends on what temp the trans fluid gets up to but I am thinking it's probably beyond 200 - 250 degrees maybe more?

Therefore, it may be impacting slightly on the overall heat transferred to the water temp.

On one occasion, the car shot up to 240 - 245 and stalled as I pulled up …..once cooled down to say 170 it was fine again to start up but I would not want to push that luck too many times for fear of cracking the heads.

Since then I shut it down when she tops out at 225 …….oddly enough this is sitting just slightly about the 3/4 Hi temp mark on the old gauge.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they Wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. "
HappyOne
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by HappyOne »

unilec5544 wrote:What size radiator have you fitted? Also bare in mind that fitting electric fans, especially front and back, can cause a restriction as well. What size are your fans?
I will check the fans on the weekend and post the capacity of air flow

hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

I don't think your tranny should be getting that hot, but it depends on the converter you're using. In any case, it shouldn't be getting much higher than 100 degrees normally.
Heat in the transmission normally comes mostly from frictional forces in the converter. Slippy converters generate more heat, as does towing.
If the converter is pretty low stall, it won't cause too much heat.

Here, found this:
http://www.thetransmissioncentre.com.au ... formation/
Last edited by hybrid on Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dwayne
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Dwayne »

Do trans coolers need to be mounted up front to be effective?

Thinking of mounting one underneath the floorpan with a louvred cover to pull the air over it. The remote units with thermo fans look too big and overkill for a street car.

I'm guessing Ozbilt may have done something like this on hotrods.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

As long as it has airflow over it, it should be OK.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Dwayne wrote:Do trans coolers need to be mounted up front to be effective?

Thinking of mounting one underneath the floorpan with a louvred cover to pull the air over it. The remote units with thermo fans look too big and overkill for a street car.

Yes I have fitted them in the tunnel. Cage has the type I used, basically a cylinder with longitudinal fins.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

ozbilt wrote:
Dwayne wrote:Do trans coolers need to be mounted up front to be effective?

Yes I have fitted them in the tunnel. Cage has the type I used, basically a cylinder with longitudinal fins.
Yep most Rods use them
LEEH69
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by LEEH69 »

you can also buy a trans cooler complete with a fan mounted on it, so you can just about put them wherever you want