Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

jcmc
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Harmonic balancer

Post by jcmc »

Hi,

Just wondering what balancers people tend to use when fitting a late model windsor (e.g. roller block 5.0) to early Mustangs?

I have recently fitted an AU2 XR8 engine to my 66 Mustang, and used a conversion balancer and flex plate from NPD. They are both allegedly 50oz imbalance to suit a late model 5.0 (p/n 6316-15a and 6375-18).

To fit the early drive setup I changed the timing cover and water pump and am now running a normal "v" fan belt.

The first problem I noticed was that the timing marks are in the wrong spot for the timing case/pointer I got (this is a stamped tin thing that sits to the right of the balancer looking at the engine from the front). The marks are probably 20 degrees out I reckon.

Ignoring that, the engine seems to get a bit of a vibration going at around 1500-2000 rpm. Rev it more and it seems to go away. Its not shake your fillings out bad, but its noticeable.

I'm thinking the balancer has the wrong imbalance too? Maybe they shipped me the wrong thing?

Any advice appreciated.
1966 Mustang Convertible, T code, C4 auto, Candy Red, Std Interior, 200ci of fury
1994 Ford XR6 replica, Dynamic White, Leather, 17in chasers, 620rwhp, 10.86@130
2003 Ford XR6 Turbo ute, Silo black, Leather, 19in GTP's
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Harmonic balancer

Post by Shaunp »

You can buy a timing tape sticker to get the marks correct, but if it has vibe the flex plate or balancer is wrong, Ive had a few flex plates in the wrong box, but you can but them any where and they are cheap.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

do you have pictures of both, if the timing marks are wrong I bet the flex is whats wrong it will be 28
Last edited by Shaunp on Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
jcmc
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Post by jcmc »

I didn't think to take pictures of the flex.. they looked to have similar weights in about the same spot. The new one was slightly smaller diameter as I recall.

I have a spare 50oz 4-bolt balancer so I might try that first
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

The 50oz weights are normally around 10mm thick, with the 28s more like 5mm