RHD replacement wiper arms??

Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

donoauto
Mustang King
Mustang King

RHD replacement wiper arms??

Post by donoauto »

Hi guys , went to fit new wiper arms from BLKPNY & my school boy error , new arms have slight bend at end of them to suit LHD assembly instaed of a pivot that I was expecting. Appear to be made of stainless. Can I heat at bend & bend to the opposite angle to suit RHD???? Will I stuff it? Will it discolour?
Trico no longer produce simple "push on" arms. Flexible drive agencies make them but looks like only in a black finish. Could be painted silver but no substitute for brushed stainless.
(PRAYER) Oh thank you Wild Turkey American Honey & Cola in those small thin bottles, for giving me the strength to act like a half wit, and say stupid things at inappropriate times, semi-anonymously, on a public forum.
Amen.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: RHD replacement wiper arms??

Post by ozbilt »

Bend them cold, no need to heat.

I place the end in a vice with soft jaws (pieces of aluminium sheet to stop the jaws marking the Stainless) & gently tap the arm to the opposite shape.
Last edited by ozbilt on Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
donoauto
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by donoauto »

Cheers , I'll practice on an old arm 1st.
(PRAYER) Oh thank you Wild Turkey American Honey & Cola in those small thin bottles, for giving me the strength to act like a half wit, and say stupid things at inappropriate times, semi-anonymously, on a public forum.
Amen.
donoauto
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by donoauto »

By the way Kerry , the cracks (in my other project post) that you noticed at my RH rear shock access hole - what causes them?? It does't look like it's a stress area & only thin sheet metal. The stress area obviously appears to be where the top of shock mounts , can't understand why the cracks appear around the removable grommet?
Amen.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

It is the movement of that cross member & the floor above. On a more modern car the computer analysis, amount of spot welds & spacing would be way different. Each Mustang was different in the way it was spotted together (up to the operator as to how many welds went in that area) & quite a few (read most) cracked. You will find the crack starts from a spot weld & ran to the grommeted hole, not the other way around. Once the crack was there, the movement would have started the next one that I saw at the end of the hole.

Probably more prevalent in cars that had air shocks installed as this put more torque in an area that was not designed for it, or a car that has spent a lot of time on rough roads (like Australia).
donoauto
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by donoauto »

ozbilt wrote:It is the movement of that cross member & the floor above. On a more modern car the computer analysis, amount of spot welds & spacing would be way different. Each Mustang was different in the way it was spotted together (up to the operator as to how many welds went in that area) & quite a few (read most) cracked. You will find the crack starts from a spot weld & ran to the grommeted hole, not the other way around. Once the crack was there, the movement would have started the next one that I saw at the end of the hole.

Probably more prevalent in cars that had air shocks installed as this put more torque in an area that was not designed for it, or a car that has spent a lot of time on rough roads (like Australia).
Excellent! Just the precise sort of answer I love. Thank you.
When I do the body job next year ( I hope) , these will be welded the entire length for a fix?? I'll be using a pro panel shop & won't be hands on much at all for this part of the resto so I can only hope they'll be doing something like that & maybe more to prevent problem from reoccurring. Is there anything I can suggest to them ( they are great mates of mine so no offence will be taken) as a guideline to prevent further problems?
I'm great with wires, interiors & mechanical but panel work is not my forte!!
Amen.
donoauto
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by donoauto »

By the way, thanks for the tip Kerry. Just lightly hide-hammered arms into right angle - no heat needed :)
Amen.
blkpny
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by blkpny »

Did you do the new arms? all good?
Resto-Mod & Repro Mustang Parts, from the biggest & best suppliers in the Biz. For a sample of what we have, check out www.custommustangs.com.au if you don't see it there, give us a call 03 9782 8850 0438351400
Or stop into our Showroom 2/14 Lakewood Blvd, Carrum Downs
Mustangs are Addictive!
66 Coupe 418w C4 3.50 9" Convo's 10.9@122 FOR SALE
94 SN95 Coupe Supercharged V6 Daily
65 Coupe Project
donoauto
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by donoauto »

Yes thanks Stephan , all good. Just need the door lock bezels & filler neck thanks mate :)
Amen.
blkpny
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by blkpny »

I'll call you in a couple of minutes....
All packed, ready to go :)
Resto-Mod & Repro Mustang Parts, from the biggest & best suppliers in the Biz. For a sample of what we have, check out www.custommustangs.com.au if you don't see it there, give us a call 03 9782 8850 0438351400
Or stop into our Showroom 2/14 Lakewood Blvd, Carrum Downs
Mustangs are Addictive!
66 Coupe 418w C4 3.50 9" Convo's 10.9@122 FOR SALE
94 SN95 Coupe Supercharged V6 Daily
65 Coupe Project