Pulling my date correct engine down!

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

S[_]SPECT
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Re: Pulling my date correct engine down!

Post by S[_]SPECT »

tim_morrison82 wrote:How much is that Shannon?
Ha haa.. Twist Twist..
Cheers,
Birchy...
Dodgy Bros. Customs

Suspect 67 - http://www.mustangtech.com.au/Forums/vi ... /t=52.html
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

ozbilt wrote:
tim_morrison82 wrote: the only functional difference between the 289 V8 and the 302 2v heads was in the smog control plumbing. the 289 v8 head had continued the windsor foundry design of being cast for internal air logs. the 302 v8 head, on the other hand, was of cleveland foundry design and used the externally mounted air logs.
OK, that is the bit that does NOT make sense. 67 289 smog heads are identified by the smog tubes as they are "external", the 68 heads not having that. What is said above is the exact opposite. :loopy:
Far as I know 68 289 heads are just large chamber 302 heads, and they ran flat top pistons to get the comp back up.
tim_morrison82
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by tim_morrison82 »

Shaun are the air logs crimped (68) or plugged (67) at the ends?
Dreaming the dream... Living the reality...
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

I don't have the logs they were all rusty and broke when I took them off the heads, you can buy them new for like $60 I think. I'll take a picture of what I have over the weekend, I think it is everything but the logs. But it is 67 A code stuff, but you'd have to really know your stuff to say it wrong when on the car I reckon. Depends how correct you want it. From what I've seen in Oz, most judges would not notice it.

http://www.cal-mustang.com/SMOG-INJECTOR-TUBE-C966.aspx
tim_morrison82
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by tim_morrison82 »

Those new ones aren't 68 ones. On 68's both sides are interchangeable. Earlier ones have left and right sides. I am enjoying learning about all this stuff. Also was interesting seeing the date stamp the engine was put together. Its stamped on a machined face on one of the corners of the block. The block is dated 7L8, however the engine was completed on 7L13 which is 1 month exactly before my build date. Anyone know what the last letter stands for?
The actual stamp reads 7L13E. The example in the book has an X at the end. Is it a booth number, stamped in a similar style to the panels?

my valve covers are the correct limited run early 68 ones also. Checked the shed for the ones that came in the boot of the car and they are the later back to 67 style covers. I might finally be able to identify some of the floating stuff from the boot. Glad i pulled that book out for you pete!
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Take no notice of the pictures on the web site mate they use the same pic for every model,it just an illistation you would need to ask them, you will be able to buy them new for sure.
tim_morrison82
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by tim_morrison82 »

They seem to include a part number with the year range though, so doubt they would have seperate items with the same number. That was my main concern. I'm happy to keep dreaming for now and make a long list of things i would need to get the engine correct. If i end up going that way, different story all together.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Don't know for sure but they list 2 setts, 68 302 and 289 Hipo or 66/67 non hipo. The queston is are K code 289 ones the same a J code I think, that's kind of what the listings suggest. NPD may have some different ones as well. Depends how close you want it. Personally I'd leave the smog gear of it. But you will need to decide prior to building your engine as the heads will need to be machined to take the air logs. You could plug them and fit them later but you want to drill them while you are recoing the heads.