Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

envy66
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

disc brake upgrqade for 66 coupe

Post by envy66 »

Hi All.
Just when I though I could see the light at the end of the tunnel. I have just been told that the mustang I brought as a "not much left to do" project, for my wife and daughter,now needs new front brakes. Apparently the previous owner just threw the front brakes of from an unknown source just to get it out. I should have known better than to buy from just emailed photo's!! - Cheep isn't alway cheap is it !- .......yes yes a fool and his money are easily parted and all that.
Anyway my question is, that as the brakes and possibly the front coil springs and shocks all need replacing what would be my best option?
Hoppers? or would I be better off with something like the RRS stuff....any suggestions would be appreciated.....................This is why I'm taking my time with finding a 67 fastback for the next project.

cheers Pete (envy66)
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: disc brake upgrqade for 66 coupe

Post by ozbilt »

Have the front spindles (what the brakes bolt to) been changed? If they are stock 66, then you can get a brake upgrade to fit it.

As for suspension rebuild or replace with same. More cost effective. Springs & shocks are readily available locally as well.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
envy66
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by envy66 »

Thanks Ozbilt.....the paperwork that came with the car said the stub axles were 66 mustang but had a "modfied" xa callipers utilsing holden BPR mounting brackets...whatever that means.....as you can tell I'm no where near mecanically minded!
cheers envy66
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

I think thats the Hoppers kit using the holden brackets , isnt it Kerry or anyone else ??
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

If the stubs are 66, then 67 brakes will fit, just need the 66 disk bracket. Back to the shed..... :outtahere:
Kerry

moe
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by moe »

Wasn't it Mustangs of Melbourne using Holden brakes with adapters on mustangs??

http://www.mustangsofmelbourne.com.au/
under the spare parts banner, has a spiel about what they did....
C5ZZHIPO
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by C5ZZHIPO »

Heard a while back that engineers will no longer pass cars with any brake system other than factory. ??
A prophet will not be known in his own lifetime.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

C5ZZHIPO wrote:Heard a while back that engineers will no longer pass cars with any brake system other than factory. ??
Not true. Many after market systems are signed off by engineers. Willwood & SSBC being some that I know of. I would imagine that Harrops etc would also be OK.
Kerry

MustangMedic
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by MustangMedic »

My SSBC kit used my 67 drum brake spindles, they supplied the rest, as seen in the ads.My kit came with booster amd master cylinder and extra lines to be bent for the new position of the distribution block as well as a brake pedal. Purchased from Capital Classics
Cheers.
Medic
(Always work smarter not harder!!!)
67 C Code coupe
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

There may be some nasty changes coming soon via the NSW Gov and RTA, so if you need something engineered, I'd get it done soon.

The hot rodders have been in the talks with them, but I'm not sure how much influence they are having.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

hybrid wrote:There may be some nasty changes coming soon via the NSW Gov and RTA, so if you need something engineered, I'd get it done soon.

The hot rodders have been in the talks with them, but I'm not sure how much influence they are having.
From what I see it is more to do with radical changes such as fibreglass bodies & major chassis changes. Brake upgrades & other things done here (engine upgrades etc) will not be adversely affected in my view.
Kerry

hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

I'll try and find out the details I heard. I have a feeling it related to any engineers cert - basically any item considered integral to the safety of the vehicle.