Happy's day out - tow ride back home - need some help guys

Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

HappyOne
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Re: Happy's day out - tow ride back home - need some help guys

Post by HappyOne »

hybrid wrote:grumpy, I have a pertronix kit sitting here somewhere that I'm no longer using.
I've got an MSD distributor for mine now.

It's only the pertronix 1 (so you gotta be careful leaving your ignition on apparently as they can burn out). It's brand new though, so let me know if you want it. I think I paid $120 for it.. you can have it for $100 if you want it, and I'll post for free.

I don't have any experience with them though... other guys might suggest going for one of the later models, but I think Kerry uses Pertronix 1 with no issues.

Hi Hybrid,

We like to listen to the radio at picnic tables and would most likely want to use the car radio for this so the ignition would be in an on or ancillary position - l gather from your comment ...we might have problems doing this with the model you have, or have I got it wrong?

:shrug:
Never Die Wondering ...What If ????

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they Wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. "
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

If your car has an "accessories" on the switch then it's not a problem.
It's only when the ignition is on - ie, the oil light, charge light etc is on.

Even still, you could just have a separate switch to disconnect power to the coil while the ignition is on. A kill switch does just that, so its not a bad idea anyway for anti-theft reasons!

The issue with these is that if the engine stops in the right (or wrong depending which way you look at it) place, then when you turn on the ignition, the pertronix is charging the coil constantly and eventually burns out.
When the engine is running, the charge to the coil is switched on and off continuously, so it's not a problem. It's just the constant current going through the pertronix that supposedly eventually fries it.

Fit a hidden kill switch that cuts power to the coil and that won't be a problem anyway.
moe
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by moe »

I accidentally left my ignition on and the engine not running for 2 hours, and it was okay. But keep the points and the condenser in the glove box just in case.

The original ignitor seemed to have less issues than the subsequent upgrades (based on a fair bit of feedback from multiple forums. I had an ignitor, definitely not the ingnitor 2.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Yeah it all depends where the distributor stops when you turn off the engine.

Obviously your engine stopped without the pertronix grounding the coil, so there was an open circuit, and current was not going through your pertronix to the coil.

To be honest, I thought they would have designed the system with that in mind.. maybe it's more the exception rather than the norm that sees them burn out.

I was happy to use it on mine anyway.. I'm only not using it now because I'm going to MSD Dissy/EFI and my computer will control the ignition via a MSD box.
HappyOne
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Re: Happy's day out - tow ride back home - need some help gu

Post by HappyOne »

Guys,

Cars all fixed and ready to tear up the neighborhood,

For now l ended up putting a Repco GT oil coil in and a new condenser as well as a fuel filter.

In addition I have installed the new Petrol tank and sender unit I shipped in with the car. Whilst I was at it we (the son and I) ended up putting the wire wheel over the inner boot whilst the tank was out and cleaned up some surface rust – found a couple of small holes, then used some rust convert and primer – then repainted the inner boot before putting in the tank.

Good news is …she started up first turn of the key….shot round the block a few times …..sounds so sweet again !!!

Now it’s all tucked away!!

:thumbs: :woohoo: :woohoo: :thumbs:
Last edited by HappyOne on Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they Wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. "
HappyOne
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by HappyOne »

hybrid wrote:Yeah it all depends where the distributor stops when you turn off the engine.

Obviously your engine stopped without the pertronix grounding the coil, so there was an open circuit, and current was not going through your pertronix to the coil.

To be honest, I thought they would have designed the system with that in mind.. maybe it's more the exception rather than the norm that sees them burn out.

I was happy to use it on mine anyway.. I'm only not using it now because I'm going to MSD Dissy/EFI and my computer will control the ignition via a MSD box.

Hybrid,

I just might take that pertronix unit off your hands mate.

Just need to wait until next pay day as we got some big bills that just landed...should be right first week on next month though, if you dont mind putting it aside for now.

:thumbs:

LEEH69
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by LEEH69 »

That's what good with these old girls the mechanicals are pretty basic,
ie no computer shit to worry about.

might catch up with you on sunday at Mt Gravatt if you're going
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

HappyOne wrote: Hybrid,

I just might take that pertronix unit off your hands mate.

Just need to wait until next pay day as we got some big bills that just landed...should be right first week on next month though, if you dont mind putting it aside for now.

:thumbs:
Yeah no worries mate. I've had it here for a while now anyway.

spooky
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Re: Happy's day out - tow ride back home - need some help gu

Post by spooky »

Really glad to hear you are on the road! Have you stopped grinning yet? I haven't! :dance2: