which to use - Holley or Edelbrock carby??

Need help on paint, paint prep, welding, engines etc?

Moderator: Moderators

donoauto
Mustang King
Mustang King

which to use - Holley or Edelbrock carby??

Post by donoauto »

Ok , made up my mind on the edelbrock edl-2091 top end kit. Edelbrock recommend their part#18064 650cfm carby. Guys at Rocket are trying to talk me into a 670cfm Holley Street Avenger.
Popular consensus from a lot of blokes in the mech. game & I tend to agree , that Holleys are great for idling & flat out but are a bit crap in-between. But , in the same breath , say that most tune shops & themselves know a lot about holley's & have the tuning components readily available. Not many know about the workings of an edelbrock carby & certainly don't have the bits.
BUT , from all reports about edelbrock carby's , bolt them on & they work awesomely with stuff-all setting up. I think they might be similar to Rochesters ( which I love ). You can buy tuning kits for around $80 for the edelbrocks.
Any guidance in my decision will be noted & appreciated.
(PRAYER) Oh thank you Wild Turkey American Honey & Cola in those small thin bottles, for giving me the strength to act like a half wit, and say stupid things at inappropriate times, semi-anonymously, on a public forum.
Amen.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: which to use - Holley or Edelbrock carby??

Post by hybrid »

Dunno who told you those stories about holleys.
Probably someone who likes another type of carby.

My family have used holleys for years with little to no problems. If they are running crap in the midrange, it's due to impropper settings/jetting, not the fault of the carb.
GT350H
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by GT350H »

hybrid wrote:Dunno who told you those stories about holleys.
Probably someone who likes another type of carby.

My family have used holleys for years with little to no problems. If they are running crap in the midrange, it's due to impropper settings/jetting, not the fault of the carb.
Agree.
Ive had both and found that the holley ( once set up correctly to match your application ) are better. They are "set and forget".

My advice would be the Holley, but take it to a "speed" mechanic who knows his game.
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

It's a bit like the Holden Vs Ford thing. They both have there ups and downs, but in the end they both work well when setup correctly. Personal experience though is that the Holleys will deliver more power but the Carters (Edelbrocks) will do it a bit smoother.
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
blkpny
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by blkpny »

Theres no ups to a Holden.... Hehehe!

We've only used a Carter thermoflop on my old XC, and an edelbrock on our old 351c powered tow truck. We never really put any time into them, eventually swapping them for Holleys, but I think the general consensus is like what Nuts has said, Holleys for power, Carters/Rochesters for economy.
Personally, I don't drive my toy cars for economy.
Resto-Mod & Repro Mustang Parts, from the biggest & best suppliers in the Biz. For a sample of what we have, check out www.custommustangs.com.au if you don't see it there, give us a call 03 9782 8850 0438351400
Or stop into our Showroom 2/14 Lakewood Blvd, Carrum Downs
Mustangs are Addictive!
66 Coupe 418w C4 3.50 9" Convo's 10.9@122 FOR SALE
94 SN95 Coupe Supercharged V6 Daily
65 Coupe Project