Moderator: Moderators

Robsam
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Rack & Pinion conversion kits

Post by Robsam »

Hi There
I'm new to the group...
I have a 67 mustang and the power streering is due to be replaced.
I would like to leave it LHD but change to rack and pinion...
Can you all offer some advice of the different kits available here in Australia and their features, benefits and aprox costs. Also would like to know who sells them.
I'm sure this has been discussed before but would be really apprreciative if you guys can advise whats available here and what is the best most popular choice...
Look forward to all opinions...

Thanks...
Regards,
Rob
www.louvres.net.au
Louvres For Everyday Living...
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Rack & Pinion conversion kits

Post by Shaunp »

You are better fixing what you have, most racks are a compromise, RRS increases the turning circle unless you buy there entire front end, this rack is a Deawoo/camira rack remounted. TCP is probably the best bet. In real terms they don't need one it's how set the front end that makes them turn and drive straight, weather you have a rack or factory set up. Plenty of caster is what they need. bolting a rack in won't make instantly a race car.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Hi Robsam,
welcome to the forum.
Most responses will be similar to Shauns. Unless you really want a rack for some reason, you're better off getting the existing front end set up properly.
Robsam
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Post by Robsam »

Thanks for the reponse guys and understand your comments.
I will thanks to the tech pages be looking for the correct set up...
But I just always thought rack and pinion was a superior set up.
The brands I've heard about are:
TCP
RRS
Steeroids
Unisteer
Randalls
Does anyone have any feedback on these brands ?
If so what were the pro's, con's and aprox costs.
Also are any suppliers of these brands here in Australia.

All comments and feedback is appreciated...
Regards,
Rob
www.louvres.net.au
Louvres For Everyday Living...
moe
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by moe »

RRS is made here in oz. But their customer service and the "camira style" rack hasn't won too many favours.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Robsam wrote:Thanks for the reponse guys and understand your comments.
I will thanks to the tech pages be looking for the correct set up...
But I just always thought rack and pinion was a superior set up.
The brands I've heard about are:

Yeah if the car was designed for it, all aftermarket racks are an add on, many make the car worse with respect to bump steer and lock. TCP is the best if you must have one. You wont get $2500 better steering by fitting one is the point, most need a new pump as well. It's the set up that makes them steer not how you turn the wheels. Morris minors had racks and they steer like crap. Lotts Caster will give your car road feel and straight ahead stability. You likely find it has about 1.5-2.5 max deg of positive caster at the moment, it wants more than 5 in real terms. These cars were set up for cross plys not radials a rack won't fix this, no matter what any one tells you.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Robsam wrote:
I have run an RRS manual rack in my 66 for about 8 years now and while it is excellent (but heavy) I wouldnt go down that path again simply because "bang or buck" you can do better.
I'm involved with a couple of tarmac rally cars that run TCP racks, all I can say is that they seem to work as they are still using them. One of the drivers is a member here so if your reading Paul please supply feedback.
Personally I dont like the idea of using the R&P as a crossmember but thats just my opinion.

Summary:- use the original setup with Shelby drop, save a lot of money and.... its race proven. (albeit in the 60's)
cheers
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Road car dosen't even really need a Shelby drop, just some springs, shocks, bar and set up correctly, Falcon uprights give kind of a partial drop in effect of the camber curve, as long as you lower the spring.
The only reason why TCP mount them as the cross member is cause that's the best place to put them, for geometry, I'm not keen on the idea either but the rack is likly stronger than the factory bar, retro fit racks are a compromise one way or another. The best box for a Mustnag is an XF falcon but it has to be RHD. I've seen one of those Borgson boxes in a 67,FB in Brisbane owner seemed happy, way cheaper than a rack as well
S[_]SPECT
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by S[_]SPECT »

RRS are a copy of the TCP..
Randalls and Steeroids.. dunno.
Unisteer.. Lack attention to detail..
Took me close to 8 months to correct the issues with my rack, due to them resending me incorrect replacement parts..
There were no less than 6 points of interference with the chassis and mounting bracket that had to be 'adjusted' in order to get it to fit.

While Im happy with the geometry now.. its no thanks to them..
I ended up getting the centre bar machined locally to correct the geometry issues.

Apparently they make better quality RHD racks then LHD.. go figure?

There is another alternative locally, RetroRack.. its made locally by AOI. A friends getting one for his Chevelle..

However, the resounding feedback you'll always get.. Factory Fits (and works)
Cheers,
Birchy...
Dodgy Bros. Customs

Suspect 67 - http://www.mustangtech.com.au/Forums/vi ... /t=52.html
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

S[_]SPECT wrote:RRS are a copy of the TCP..
Randalls and Steeroids.. dunno.
Unisteer.. Lack attention to detail..
Took me close to 8 months to correct the issues with my rack, due to them resending me incorrect replacement parts..
There were no less than 6 points of interference with the chassis and mounting bracket that had to be 'adjusted' in order to get it to fit.

While Im happy with the geometry now.. its no thanks to them..
I ended up getting the centre bar machined locally to correct the geometry issues.

Apparently they make better quality RHD racks then LHD.. go figure?

There is another alternative locally, RetroRack.. its made locally by AOI. A friends getting one for his Chevelle..

However, the resounding feedback you'll always get.. Factory Fits (and works)
Unless AOI have changed they make one size fitts all mustangs, which cant work as the tie rod pivot points are different prior to 67,.In anycase all the centre steer type racks are based on the Camria/Deawoo design even if they are makeing their own rack. It was a dumb arse design when it was in a camria
TimR67
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by TimR67 »

Ive got an RRS power rack, car isnt on the road yet, Ive only driven it around the driveway, but it had to go back to RRS for repair as it leaked like a sieve. When I installed it I had all sorts of problems setting up the steering column, shafts and uni joints, it took ages as the uni joints kept binding. It does seem to have a lot larger turning circle now. Hopefully I get the rack back soon so i can test it on the road. If I had my time again I would just stick with the standard mustang steering set up.
albanygt40
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by albanygt40 »

I fitted a RRS RHD Manual rack to my 66 and I thought it was dramatic improvement over the sloppy steering box.
70 FB Stang full restoration job
Needs RHD Conversion
Needs new floors
Looking for parts if you have leftovers

Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

albanygt40 wrote:I fitted a RRS RHD Manual rack to my 66 and I thought it was dramatic improvement over the sloppy steering box.
No question that would be the case, for sure, but not really a fair comarison though, new for worn out, also it's an easy way to get RHD,bolt it in and away you go which I'm geussing is why you mostly got one. It is a bit of a drama to get a modified Drag link correct for an XF box, but it's worth it. You would have lost lock, with RRS if you did fit the Commodore front end.
Why did you get a manual one?
Troy_H
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Troy_H »

this thread topic pops up regularly, and there always seems to be debate on the best option.

My situation may be a little off topic but somewhat relevant to the discussion, and some of the previous posts might be experiencing the same.

I have a RHD 65, running XF box with power steer. It is quite ordinary in terms of steering, even after alterations to the geometry by a conversion expert. Seems to have a bit more bump steer than id like and is just generally sloppy, will require corrections to the steering on roads of average quality. I know its an old car and i have drive old cars, so know what to expect so think it could be better.

Suspension has been upgraded and this improved the steering somewhat, but im still not happy.

Rack was recommended as a potential fix, but it is hardly a cheap option but if it sorted it out once and for all, Id be happy to go with it. TCP seems to be the go from what i am told and is about $5k once fitted up with power steer.

Other option is to get all current components taken out and start again with new or reco parts, that way i know it isnt worn components causing my issue.

Thoughts on this?
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Troy, have you considered making adjustable caster bars and doing some of the suggestions that ozbilt has put in the tech section?

As has been mentioned, if you don't get the setup right for the new breed of tyres, it will never feel right.