Which 2k epoxy primer

Need help on paint, paint prep, welding, engines etc?

Moderator: Moderators

Shayne93
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Which 2k epoxy primer

Post by Shayne93 »

This is doing my head in.. My 66 is getting blasted in a couple of weeks, and I want to know what epoxy primer to use over the top.
I would like good corrosion resistance as i dont always have access to a shed, only a carport mostly.

And also, after coming back from the blaster, what process should i go through to prep before painting?
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Which 2k epoxy primer

Post by Shaunp »

Use the acid cure, Dupont one.
Shayne93
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Shayne93 »

Thanks Shaun, is that like an acid etch type.
Do you know what the cost is for about 4 litres?
1966 Ford Mustang Coupe... [Build in progress]
muzz67
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by muzz67 »

Acid etch is different to epoxy! All acid etches have to be overcoated within 15 minutes to three hours depending on the brand and cannot be scratched or rubbed through prior to overcoating which is usually with a High Build 2k Primer.

The 2k acid etch / primer filler method is the most corrision resistant method in todays refinish market.

Epoxy used to be the ducks guts until they pulled the nasties out of it to make it greener. Epoxies today are good but not as great as those of the late 90's.

Advantage with epoxy is that you only put it down in one process whereas the acid etch is two step having to overprime it.

Both methods can be filled over etc. And the 2k primer will give you the same six to 12 months under cover protection as epoxy will. but remember all basic primers are porous no matter what.

Cheers
Lance.
Muzz67
Experience is a great school, but the fees come high!
Shayne93
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Shayne93 »

Epoxy it is then... Ill ring up the paint stores tomorrow to check prices, as I can't drive there :(

I think this redneck town has only just moved away from the acrylic being the absolute ducks guts days, as we have just got the electricity on :P haha
evan
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Post by evan »

I used a PPG epoxy & Dupont Nason Ful-Poxy. I found the Dupont product much easier to work with & really goes a long way. A 4 litre kit costs around $130 IIRC. It's supposed to provide great corrosion resistance.

Evan.
Shayne93
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Shayne93 »

I'll give the dupont dealer a call tomorrow. I was going to go PPG DP40 kit which was 6 litres and it worked out at $430... Alot if u ask me.
I enquired about protec 5L kit... $80, that says something about quality
evan
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Post by evan »

I think you'll find the Dupont very economical in the long run. It sprays nicely through a small tipped gun so you don't use much. I used a 1.7mm tip which laid it on pretty thick.

Evan.