Black Beauty!

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

mwizz
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Re: Black Beauty!

Post by mwizz »

Great work
unilec5544
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by unilec5544 »

I would like to get the flywheel and clutch fitted, all new parts including the flywheel. Its been a very ling time since I fitted a pressure plate and If I remember correctly there were locating studs fitted to the flywheel, but I have not received any when the clutch kit was delivered.
I have been trying to contact the supplier, but he must be on holiday till maybe the 7th of January.
Can any of the gurus tell me if I need locating studs or just 5/16" bolts with a shoulder?
Appeciate any help, Cheers, Neil.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Shouldered bolts should be OK.

Is your engine built? These should both really be balanced with the rest of the engine.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

hybrid wrote:Shouldered bolts should be OK.

Is your engine built? These should both really be balanced with the rest of the engine.
As hybrid says, shoulder bolts should do fine, some of the new flywheels come with the dowels (not fitted) as they are quite universal and have several stud patterns, You may be able to get the dowels from a good speed shop though or machine some up.
unilec5544
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by unilec5544 »

Yeah, engine has been full reconditioned. I may just try it all fitted together and if there is a vibration, just remove it and get it balanced.
unilec5544
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by unilec5544 »

nassi wrote:
As hybrid says, shoulder bolts should do fine, some of the new flywheels come with the dowels (not fitted) as they are quite universal and have several stud patterns, You may be able to get the dowels from a good speed shop though or machine some up.
I will get some shoulder bolts tomorrow, it will be a while before I fire up the engine, so in the mean time I will look into dowel(thats the word I could not remember). I may try Chris mills, I just wanted to get the gearbox fitted.

Thanks guys for your input.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Yes, CMP should have them, at least they have the bolts.
cheers
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

unilec5544 wrote:

Yeah, engine has been full reconditioned. I may just try it all fitted together and if there is a vibration, just remove it and get it balanced.
Get the flywheel & clutch balanced with the rotating assy BEFORE firing it.

There will be a vibration if you don't & it will not be good.

The builder should have asked you for both of them when they were balancing the rest.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
unilec5544
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by unilec5544 »

Well after much searching on the internet I could not find anyone who had modified the pedal box to give a ratio of 4:1 on the 65/66 cars brake pedal, when fitting a booster. There is plenty of info on the 67/68cars, but very little on my year. It seems to be a hit and miss situation maybe it will be ok maybe not.
So after much deliberation on which would be the best way to do it, decided to have a go at doing the mod myself.
After doing a lot of measuring decided the best way was to push the box upwards so that the bottom two holes of the box aligned with the top two holes of the firewall. To do this I needed to remove a section from each side of the pedal box. After that was done the two remaining holes lined up perfectly.
All I did then was to make two plates up to align the new bottom holes in the pedal box. Also I removed the fixed nuts from the pedal box and welded four studs to the booster bracket, so much easier to fit than trying to tighten the nuts in the engine bay.
I now have exactly a 4:1 pedal ratio and no need to force the booster rod either upward or down, which I have seen and do not think it is a good idea.

I have used a clutch and brake pedal from the Covette, which I was going to convert to manual, but because the engine is off centre on these cars the foot well on the RH side is a lot smaller than the LH side. So with a bit of massaging with an oxy torch made them a similar shape to the original ford ones. Still need a bit of tweeking, but almost there.

Cheers, Neil.
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

Good work Neil, thats using your noggin, if it dont fit ...modify to make it fit. :thumbs:

:thumbs:
unilec5544
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by unilec5544 »

scott66stang wrote:Good work Neil, thats using your noggin, if it dont fit ...modify to make it fit. :thumbs:

:thumbs:
Cheers Scott, Now all I need is to find a lathe(really really want one) to make a pin to couple to the booster rod unless I can remove the old one from the original pedal, maybe i will try that first.
67fastysm
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by 67fastysm »

hi Neil, just read your build, fantastic you definitely have the skills for sure a very enjoyable read.
cheers shane
Age is a high price for maturity
unilec5544
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by unilec5544 »

67fastysm wrote:hi Neil, just read your build, fantastic you definitely have the skills for sure a very enjoyable read.
cheers shane

Thanks Shane, Still have to finish off the dash and then its painting time. Looking forward to start putting it back together.
Keeping an eye on your project as well, coming along very well :like:
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

unilec5544 wrote:Image

I would like to get the flywheel and clutch fitted, all new parts including the flywheel. Its been a very ling time since I fitted a pressure plate and If I remember correctly there were locating studs fitted to the flywheel, but I have not received any when the clutch kit was delivered.
I have been trying to contact the supplier, but he must be on holiday till maybe the 7th of January.
Can any of the gurus tell me if I need locating studs or just 5/16" bolts with a shoulder?
I make dowels from bolts and cut the head off, then cut slot in them so you can screw them in and out then you have a removable dowel as such. If your flywheel is the correct imbalance 28 or 50 oz etc it should be ok. You can have just have the clutch and flywheel checked for balance, seperate to the engine. It is best to do as a unit with the crank though. However this is not always practicle ie if a clutch fails down the track you are not going to strip the engine, you'll just put a clutch in it. Some of the after market flywheels are not well "imbalanced" out of the box. Factory ones are noramally ok. Same as if you have to change a balancer you won't rebalance the rotating assembly. If you are sus on the wheel have it and the clutch checked for correct imbalance.
unilec5544
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by unilec5544 »

Shaunp wrote:
unilec5544 wrote:Image

I make dowels from bolts and cut the head off, then cut slot in them so you can screw them in and out then you have a removable dowel as such. If your flywheel is the correct imbalance 28 or 50 oz etc it should be ok. You can have just have the clutch and flywheel checked for balance, seperate to the engine. It is best to do as a unit with the crank though. However this is not always practicle ie if a clutch fails down the track you are not going to strip the engine, you'll just put a clutch in it. Some of the after market flywheels are not well "imbalanced" out of the box. Factory ones are noramally ok. Same as if you have to change a balancer you won't rebalance the rotating assembly. If you are sus on the wheel have it and the clutch checked for correct imbalance.
Thanks Shaun, excellent advice. I have already assembled the engine and am using the original crankshaft, so that should be ok. I will phone around tomorrow for some place to get the new pressure plate and flywheel balanced.
I have contacted the clutch supplier about dowel pins and the reply was they do not use them, just shoulder bolts, but I may do as you say and fab some dowel before i send it out for balancing.
cheers, Neil.