Tim's 1968 J Code Hardtop

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Tim's 1968 J Code Hardtop

Post by hybrid »

Pretty sure there is a welding mob in Sydney (maybe silverwater welding supplies - doesn't help you) that sells them for around $80... there's where I went before I got the good stuff.

Not open weekends though, so that made it tough. On weekends I had to go to Mitre 10 trade centre and pay $120.
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

I have dropped the Acetylene and using lpg on the oxy set, good enough to heat with. but still have the oxygen and argon bottles to pay for.

Hybrid you suck, you lucky barstool ;)
mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by mikes68 »

I thought that to legally have the cylinders refilled they had to be tested every 12 months.
Fifty Years Afloat

We can't alter the direction of the wind,
But we can adjust our sails
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

mikes68 wrote:I thought that to legally have the cylinders refilled they had to be tested every 12 months.
No, but they do have dates stamped on them (same as US). You do not actually get "your" cylinders refilled (even in the US) but just swap them over. So the companies get to rotate them often enough.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

boofhead wrote:
hybrid wrote:Mum works for airliquid... $12 for an E size, and no rental. What's this pain you all talk about?
Arrrrrrrrrr - I hate you... not really but I would be happy to pay the $100 for the bottle and then refill or swap over when empty. Your deal well..... fantastic - she is a keeper.

BTW: Can I borrow a bottle for some time.... :poke:
Get nassi to adopt her (he will then be hybrid's grand dad ..... :lol: ) & that will cover both sides of the country. Maybe hybrid can be in charge of shipments on the east coast ....... ;)
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

ozbilt wrote:
boofhead wrote:
hybrid wrote:Mum works for airliquid... $12 for an E size, and no rental. What's this pain you all talk about?
Arrrrrrrrrr - I hate you... not really but I would be happy to pay the $100 for the bottle and then refill or swap over when empty. Your deal well..... fantastic - she is a keeper.

BTW: Can I borrow a bottle for some time.... :poke:
Get nassi to adopt her (he will then be hybrid's grand dad ..... :lol: ) & that will cover both sides of the country. Maybe hybrid can be in charge of shipments on the east coast ....... ;)
:rotfl: :rotfl:
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

A little off topic but i remember when dad use to have one of the 5 or 6 foot bottles of LPG in the garage. Similar to the ones you use to run hot water services if you're not on mains gas. We would fill all our BBQ gas bottles from that and then just ring up once it was empty and they would come and swap it over for another. Was way cheaper then going to get them refilled at a servo or BBQ place. Then people got all safety conscious and that was the end of that. Anyway not sure why you can't just buy the bottles in Australia as I need them down in the bush and rental is a pain in the arse.
"The Mustang is full of Awesome"
Hawko
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Hawko »

Gasweld sell you the bottle and refill. A little expensive though.
http://gasweld-px.rtrk.com.au/catalogse ... gas+bottle
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

No stores in Brisbane... Interesting all the same.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

Melbourne store is still a long way from me but might be worthwhile once the car is done and a bottle is going to sit around for a couple of years or more before it is used up. :thumbs:
tim_morrison82
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by tim_morrison82 »

any tips on making lists of what parts you have or need?

are the pink a3 exploded view booklets, THE reference when it comes to this?

I have tidied up the garage and will be starting to catelog what parts I have, what needs restoring, what needs replacing, etc... but especially whats missing.

cheers
Dreaming the dream... Living the reality...
soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by soc123_au »

Pen & Paper works for me, although I have been known to end up with multiples of the same thing.

GBX is the king of the spreadsheet & his build has gone smoothly (as smooth as can be expected with this type of thing)

Honestly the best way is to get the body sorted & edged out & start bolting shit to it.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Now why did this spring to mind? :wbash: :lol:

Tim, what Steve has said makes the most sense but everyone goes about things differently I guess.

I start by getting a catalogue from NPD or CJ or anyone else, start at page one and look at every item listed for my model, then check to see if I have one and what condition its in. Then decide if I want a new one or refurb my old one. This is far from failsafe because as you know only too well not everything is reproduced or is reproduced poorly hence the need for dummy builds.... can be many times over.

PS a spreadsheet helps heaps keeping track of everything................. just dont set it up with a "Total" on the costing side. :lol:
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

nassi wrote:Now why did this spring to mind? :wbash: :lol:

Tim, what Steve has said makes the most sense but everyone goes about things differently I guess.

I start by getting a catalogue from NPD or CJ or anyone else, start at page one and look at every item listed for my model, then check to see if I have one and what condition its in. Then decide if I want a new one or refurb my old one. This is far from failsafe because as you know only too well not everything is reproduced or is reproduced poorly hence the need for dummy builds.... can be many times over.

PS a spreadsheet helps heaps keeping track of everything................. just dont set it up with a "Total" on the costing side. :lol:
I started a spreadsheet with a total column. I didn't like the way it was heading and that was really early on in the piece so I haven't opened it for a couple of years. Sometimes it is better to just stick your head in the sand

Nassi is right though if you start flicking through the parts catalogue you can put together a pretty good inventory in a short amount of time.
tim_morrison82
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by tim_morrison82 »

good idea!
Dreaming the dream... Living the reality...