Engine

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

Cruzn65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Engine

Post by Cruzn65 »

It's a while until the motor in Cruzn66 needs to be rebuilt especially when the body isn't finished. However as with all things Mustang I never stop dreaming or thinking.

Plan was for my dad to rebuild being an old school mechanic but now that he has passed away I'm going to have to have a go with him screaming in my mind about what I'm doing wrong :)

The car was originally an A code and doesn't look like it has ever been rebuilt, original apart from the edelbock carb that has replaced the original autolite.

I'd prefer a stock look but some stealth power. It's got a C4 and axel is :3.00:1

Assuming the motor hasn't had a rebuild, the block is good etc what should I plan to do with what I have?

Thanks for your wise thoughts in advance :)
early Mustang enthusiast\collector of all bits Mustang
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Engine

Post by hybrid »

Stroker is the go. Still looks stock, but big innards.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

You really need to decided your usage as you will enjoy your car more if it meets your goals and expectations. Hybrid suggest is worth consideration though a lot goes with building such an engine. Aside from the engine an ear that people often forget is the rear gear. You 3.0 is very cruzn gear (appropriate :lol: ) though changing the gear can help wake up the car even a lower power level set up. The plan should include all these aspects with in your goals. So

How much stealth power ?
What budget?
I will someday think of something clever to say.
mach70
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by mach70 »

Maybe even an AOD for the extra gear when cruzin then you can put a set of lower gears in.
Try not to make things Idiot proof as you only make a better class of Idiot.
Exhausted
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Exhausted »

Come around & take mine for a spin & see what you think. 347, C4, 3.25 : 1
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Exhausted wrote:Come around & take mine for a spin & see what you think. 347, C4, 3.25 : 1
OK thanks. :lol:
JC074
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by JC074 »

Craig

I have various upgrades done to the cars I have...
I have played with MSD,Pacemakers,twin exhaust, mild cams, 4bbls....

Assuming 289 if I was going to rebuild another one... I'd do exactly what i did with the last one we did..:

MSD
Pacemakers
bored 20"
Mild cam
Holley 465 4bbl

Goes really well,idles nice and sounds mint!

Enjoy!
Last edited by JC074 on Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Im Back!
Exhausted
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Exhausted »

nassi wrote:
Exhausted wrote:Come around & take mine for a spin & see what you think. 347, C4, 3.25 : 1
OK thanks. :lol:
:coat:
Cruzn65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Cruzn65 »

Thanks guys. Appreciate the pointers and offers. I will take Pete's for a spin and swing by yours Jase.

I drive Cruzn65 everyday almost, rhd conversion and steady reliable 289 with C4. I enjoy it but the fun factor diminished on the weekends, so I was hoping to "pep" up the lhd C4 289 Cruzn66 for something different on the weekend.

After doing the resto on everything but the engine I guess there won't be much left in the bank so mods will be limited.... :( might have to freshen up and pep up later?
early Mustang enthusiast\collector of all bits Mustang
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

For a weekender............... just change the diff ratio. Cheap thrills. :like:
mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by mikes68 »

I would suggest that to keep it original that you should just do a basic overhaul with whatever is needed. That way you keep it stock and pretty much as it came off the factory floor. It is not a particularly cheap exercise and of course you can just spend a small amount more to "warm it up" a little.

As Nassi said a diff ratio change is a quick fix for cheap thrills "off the line".

If you want to do something more "manly" down the track then rather than getting into your original block, go and pick up a cheaper block that you can cut loose on taking your time with a simple swap out of engines when ready...
Fifty Years Afloat

We can't alter the direction of the wind,
But we can adjust our sails
moe
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by moe »

nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

mikes68 wrote:
If you want to do something more "manly" down the track then rather than getting into your original block, go and pick up a cheaper block that you can cut loose on taking your time with a simple swap out of engines when ready...
Mike.................... have you looked at Craig's head? You really shoudnt use the term "cut loose". :lol:
Agreed though, dont mess with the block until your sure.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Find a late roller cam 302 out of a falcon/Fairlane & put a carb on it, they really don't wear much, way better engine and they spin up nice.

If you decide to rebuild, there is a good set of iron GT40 heads on my bench belonging to Astroboy, for sale, ULP proof and some extra flow, correct plug angle.
JC074
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by JC074 »

Diff ratio change is also a mint one - I agree with Nassi! ;)
Im Back!