To strip or not?

Need help on paint, paint prep, welding, engines etc?

Moderator: Moderators

Astro
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

To strip or not?

Post by Astro »

I've ordered TMI seat foam and covers for my coupe's rebuild and am wondering whether the current covers are worth saving or selling on?

They are the lighter blue colour on stock front and rear seats and were obviously replaced not long before I bought the car, there's no rips, tears or stains anywhere.

I'm thinking that I should remove them before I take it all to the upholsterer as I want to check out the condition of the frames and do any repairs/paint before the new coverings go on.

If I'm careful in removing them, are they reusable or not?

Cheers

John
I love big birds - I cannot lie...
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: To strip or not?

Post by nassi »

I like to remove things in such a manner that they can be re-used where ever possible. On the same hand I wouldnt buy second hand upholstery but I'd still take it off as neatly as possible......... just in case. :lol:
Astro
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by Astro »

For a minute there I thought you were confused and was talking about your underwear Nassi :lol:

Cheers

J
Keegan
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by Keegan »

I did the same with my seats. New buns and used the skins again as they were in good nick.

I was at the upholsterer's workshop during the whole process and cleaned and sprayed as he did his thing cause the springs had surface rust.

He put in a few extra springs on the entry side of the driver's seat and extra padding on the new buns.

I'll see if I can find the photos.

I remember the state of the drivers side bun made me sick!
Regards, Jim.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Astroboy65 wrote:For a minute there I thought you were confused and was talking about your underwear Nassi :lol:

Cheers

J
Sorry mate, been a long day. :$
Astro
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by Astro »

I think I'll pull them apart and get the maintanence done - will save me the cost of him pulling the seats apart too I guess.

Thought I saw a video somewhere of how to do it - what could possibly go wrong? ;)

Cheers

J
Astro
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by Astro »

I think I'll pull them apart and get the maintanence done - will save me the cost of him pulling the seats apart too I guess.

Thought I saw a video somewhere of how to do it - what could possibly go wrong? ;)

Cheers

J
Keegan
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by Keegan »

Getting them apart is easy.

The fun part is re skinning with the new big tight buns.

It's a real @#$%!

Regards, Jim.
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

Definitely strip them before sending them to get reupholstered as you might be surprised at how much work is required to fix the frames if the previous owner has just chucked the new skin over 50 years of hard work. Mine didn't look too bad when covered but once I got into them they needed a bit of bending and welding to get them back into A1 shape.

"The Mustang is full of Awesome"
Astro
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by Astro »

Thanks for the pics and tips - upholstery can cover a lot of sins by the looks of it.
Hopefully my frames are in reasonable condition.

Cheers

J
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

nassi wrote:I like to remove things in such a manner that they can be re-used where ever possible. On the same hand I wouldnt buy second hand underwear but I'd still take it off as neatly as possible......... just in case. :lol:
get nearly a week out of your jocks if you rotated them correctly nassi.... :poke:
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Pinto-Pete wrote:
nassi wrote:I like to remove things in such a manner that they can be re-used where ever possible. On the same hand I wouldnt buy second hand underwear but I'd still take it off as neatly as possible......... just in case. :lol:
get nearly a week out of your jocks if you rotated them correctly nassi.... :poke:
:rotfl: not this week Pete, I havnt ventured too far from the little room.
I might give it a go next week though, would you like me to send them over for assessment?
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

nassi wrote:
Pinto-Pete wrote:
:rotfl: not this week Pete, I havnt ventured too far from the little room.
I might give it a go next week though, would you like me to send them over for assessment?
Always found you to be a man of your word nassi so inspection is not warranted or required.... :vomit:
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm