Black Beauty!

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

ChilliChadd
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Re: Black Beauty!

Post by ChilliChadd »

great work Neil :thumbs:
Chadd

_______________COUPDUP_______________
unilec5544
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by unilec5544 »

ChilliChadd wrote:great work Neil :thumbs:
Thanks Mate!!
unilec5544
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by unilec5544 »

So I have started the conversion on the car and first was the wiper conversion, if you have read the post I put on here about wiper conversions, you will get the idea of the problems I encountered.
Thanks to the help of Shaun and Kerry all sorted and these pics are the easy bit. I removed the support bracket from the left side and modified the height so it would work OK on the right side. A bit of panel beating in the new locations, cutting the centre hole with a hole saw and welding in new bolts to attach the wiper transmissions. Weld the top cowl pieces in and all finished.

Next onto the dash conversion, not too hard to do, once I worked out the best way to cut the dash out, it went fairly smoothly, a bit fiddly, but not too bad.

Mainly because I will install a new dash I used the old dash as a template, to make sure I retained the original shape.

I am going to leave the glove box until I have completed the firewall because I want some room to work in and also I will not weld up the support bracket behind the dash until I can see the best position to set the dash in once the glove box is complete. I am using a ac/heater combo unit which will fit in the recess of the firewall, so a bit of work to do there until I can complete the dash.

This is the ac unit I will be using.

Cheers, Neil.
mwizz
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by mwizz »

Looking good
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Are you going to put the heater controls on the rh side, if you do you need to mod them to clear the radio. I'd actually not get too caried away with the dash yet, you'll find it easier to do the firewall with the dash out.
unilec5544
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by unilec5544 »

Shaunp wrote:Are you going to put the heater controls on the rh side, if you do you need to mod them to clear the radio. I'd actually not get too caried away with the dash yet, you'll find it easier to do the firewall with the dash out.
Yeah, I will move the heater controls over, but first i want to do as you mentioned and get the firewall sorted.
I need all of the recess where the original heater unit was, so I can recess the new unit as far back as possible, so need to remove the spot welds from the rear inner apron to get it out.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

You may be better just making a new piece, as all the holes will be in the wrong place anyway.
unilec5544
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by unilec5544 »

Shaunp wrote:You may be better just making a new piece, as all the holes will be in the wrong place anyway.
I will probably cover all of the holes and start again, maybe easier that way than fabricating a new one.
I will more than likely make a start this weekend, so a bit of time till then to sus out the best way to do it.
JC074
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by JC074 »

Looks great dude!
Im Back!
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

I just made a new one, In QLD you have to overlap and double weld the fire wall, which if you use the old bitts it ends up like a patch work quilt, I made a new bit for the RHS to match the falcon pedal box XB booster and clutch master, and folded up a new bit for the LH side, I just left the factory centre piece in.
unilec5544
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by unilec5544 »

I'll see how it goes once i start and if Its going to look like a patch work quilt, I can always fab a new one up, like to get it as strong as possible.
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

What you can do is cut a larger section out of the heater hump eg 15 mm into the flat area to allow the over lap and do the same for the pedal box rebate, cut out 15mm into the flat area and slot it into the pedal box side which is easy to fab up because it is pretty much flat.

Great job BTW :thumbs:
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Yeah but he needs a clutch for this car as well, which makes it a bit more diffecult as the original firewall was not set up for hydrulic just that rat trap thing. This one reason why using a falcon pedal box is the go, both the booster and the clutch master are a matched set to the box.
unilec5544
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by unilec5544 »

Shaunp wrote:Yeah but he needs a clutch for this car as well, which makes it a bit more diffecult as the original firewall was not set up for hydrulic just that rat trap thing. This one reason why using a falcon pedal box is the go, both the booster and the clutch master are a matched set to the box.
Unfortunately i have already bought a booster and master cylinder. One of those impulse buying things,actually it arrived before the car did.
Once I cut the steering side of the firewall, I will see what fits and what doesn't and make a plan from there, not to hard to fab either side really.

Cheers Neil.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Ok did know you all ready had the booster to suit the old pedal box