My 68

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: My 68

Post by mikes68 »

steve851 wrote:Well as I always say Nassi...."Improvise,adapt and overcome"
Shit Steve!!! You can borrow my rotisserie if you like... just need a trailer to come and collect it as I have put it into storage.
Fifty Years Afloat

We can't alter the direction of the wind,
But we can adjust our sails
steve851
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by steve851 »

mikes68 wrote:
steve851 wrote:Well as I always say Nassi...."Improvise,adapt and overcome"
Shit Steve!!! You can borrow my rotisserie if you like... just need a trailer to come and collect it as I have put it into storage.
Thank you for your kind offer Mike, but now you force me to post more pics.It was my intention to drip feed some more pics during the rest of the week

As you can see the body is no longer perched perilously on its side I must say though in hindsight a Rotisserie would have been handy when I was welding the underside of the two floor patches (got some good burns out of that little escapade)

I'm now a bit more advanced that what you see in these pics and will post some more up to date pics, maybe on the weekend. My plan is now to get the thing back on its wheels so I can do the messier prep work outside the shed (weather permitting) being an immobile body makes a hell of a mess in the shed. To date the front suspension is partially rebuilt. So hope fully I'll progress further next weekend. Once again Mike thanks for the offer. Stay tuned.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Fit the underside fuel & brake lines BEFORE you put the suspension in.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
steve851
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by steve851 »

Thanks for the advice Kerry I did that today.
steve851
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by steve851 »

So its been two years since started this project, and I happy with my progress so far, My aim for the next week or so is to get the car back on its wheels As you will see the front and rear suspension has been installed minus the shockys. I'd like to get to the stage of a rolling chassis for number of reasons but mainly so I can roll the thing out side for the messier stages of prep for paint (sometime this year) another reason is to give the shed a damned good cleanup.

steve851
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by steve851 »

Look what I found under the Christmas tree this year Many thanks to my wife and kids I seem to have two pairs of rocker covers though. My wife somehow ordered two pairs, anyway the spare set is up for sale, see the for sale section

Love that steering wheel!!
Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

Nice one Steve.
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
steve851
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by steve851 »

Somehow the post with this Pic in, disappeared. But this is about where I am now.

mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by mikes68 »

Nice one Steve... You'll be overtaking me soon enough :poke:
Fifty Years Afloat

steve851
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by steve851 »

Mike I reckon at least another 18 months to completion. Mind you I have been waiting with baited breath for updates on yours. Today my patience was rewarded
mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by mikes68 »

steve851 wrote:Mike I reckon at least another 18 months to completion.
Yeah yeah - that's what I said... around 2 years ago :poke: :poke: :rotfl: :rotfl: :coat: :coat:
Fifty Years Afloat

steve851
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by steve851 »

Well its back on its wheels again, Ive done temporary fit of the steering column and the old steering wheel so I can maneuver the now rolling chassis. The front guards are on as a convenient place to store them. Now this brings me to a question regarding paint I'm in two minds whether to have it painted in acrylic or two pack paint The plan is this: I would like to do the primer coats and blocking back myself leaving the final finish to a proper painter. the grey you can see in the pics is a single pak super etch primer (septone) this was applied just to give some protection to the bare metal areas. The white is the original paint.
So I would welcome opinions/advice on 1k vs 2k debate I understand the advantages and disadvantages of the the two systems and would lean toward 2 pack, but as I wish to do the primer/prep work myself I have concerns about the safety issues and ppe required when working with two pack primers
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

2k clear over base is the only thing to paint it with. So you would use a 2k epoxy etch then a 2k hi build primer, base then 2k clear. Base colour is single pack. Pm me if you need to discuss how it happens and i'll give you my number.
mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by mikes68 »

I think your biggest question first up is finding a painter who will accept your prep work with the body work and priming not being done by them.

My painter did it and was reasonably happy with the prep as I pointed him at my blog which documented everything with the pics and all. Even with that said however they will have to give themselves an out in the warranty for their work... Something along the lines of "we can't guarantee work we did not do, so if you bring it back to us and we feel the problem is as a result of the prep work then you will have to pay for it"

Happy to refer you to my guy over in Bayswater. Marius has been really good to me and I am thus far happy with everything he has done.
Fifty Years Afloat

Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

single pack etch is like a sponge