A New Fastback On The Block (Aussie Adventures)

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: A New Fastback On The Block (Aussie Adventures)

Post by cage »

Sure did Kerry. I think it was in the middle of one of my earlier wobbly spits, freaking out moments. Always listen to people who know whats what especially when you don't know sh!t yourself about the topic. Best advice I got too as you can see by the results so far. Floors in soon and then on to cosmetics.

Rock on Kosa! Yours will get there mate and then we can go cruising.
"The simple answer is, even if I have decided I still don't know what to do."
MustangMedic
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by MustangMedic »

Fellas, I haven't had the talk but I have to say I'm learning as you guys walk the path. Yhere is a lot more to these cars than people think.
Cheers.
Medic
(Always work smarter not harder!!!)
67 C Code coupe
Kosa
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Kosa »

cage wrote:Keep your chin up mate. I have gone through every emotion you are going through right now. My whole front end including firewall, plenum, floors, back rail was craked etc etc. It gives you the sh!ts but you are not alone mate. This stuff is not hard to get hold off. My advice which is really Steve's advice is to replace these parts and make yourself a structurally solid bad arse car mate. I bought mine in Nov and a year later you can see the stage it is at. Take your time and spend your hard earned on the structural stuff mate and therfore you can start building on a solid foundation. Call me anytime mate if you need to get your frustration out. Should be fun phone calls.
yer mate its just a slap in the face ay, i just had 2 days off in foster so im back now and ready to move on. "bad Arse" is desinately the plan!
Kosa
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Kosa »

MustangMedic wrote:Fellas, I haven't had the talk but I have to say I'm learning as you guys walk the path. Yhere is a lot more to these cars than people think.

got that right man. its amazing the new things u learn when u take one apart. its opened my eyes so much to the actual time needed for these things and how Bull-Sh!t a show like Overhaulin' is...

aww the "talk"... just golden truth to your ears mate.
Kosa
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Kosa »

im not sure what to do now on the car....???

where should i go from here??? :poke:

what iv done:

- stripped out the floor,seats,trim.
- removed the fenders, front valance, grille, bumpers, rear valance.
- removed front and back wind screen.
- removed the Fuel tank

is there much effort/point in removing the dash at the moment?

doors in might dig into...? or should i?

i plan to get it sand blasted so... yer what to do next that wont be pointless..??
cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by cage »

Mate strip the entire car. This includes dash, door trims, the entire interior. With the amount of body work you need to do, which may include the firewall as it looks like you will need a new plenum, you need a complete bare shell. That way you can see every little detail and start your plan with making here a structural solid bad arse. This is obviously only my experience watching Steve work. Other guys may have other opinions.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Yeah there is no use having any of it in there.
Everything will need to be cleaned up and sorted out, especially when you have a nice shiny new body.
shane427
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by shane427 »

Plenty in the engine bay too. Raditor, brake master, wiring etc etc and if you have some gear rip the motor and gearbox out. Don't strip down motor until its time to rebuild, takes no time at all anyway.

Once youve got a bare rolling shell get somwone to come have a look at it and/or take back to steve so you can put togther a plan on how to move forward i.e. which bits you will do yourself, get done proffesionally.

Do you have a welder :poke:

plenty of poeple here have gone through the process you are, so pick their brains on the order to do things.
Kosa
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Kosa »

Righto, thanks guys.

i now have a direction. just need the room in the shed to put parts... currently all the interior and trim has been placed in the car casue the bro's kombi stuff is filling the grandmothers designated parts area lol

ill do the dash and doors tomorrow. unfortunately i don't have the equipment to get the motor out... will have to deal with that later down the track.

no welder tim, have some friends that do though.
soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by soc123_au »

Strip it bare, remove every nut bolt, wire, piece of trim, Everything.

Try & remove everything as complete as you can (dont dissassemble any componants) That way it doesnt take up as much room. Once its stripped ignore the body & concentate on saving your dough. To keep you amused while that happens pick a part ie heater box. Then pull it down clean it up & replace ant parts that are screwed (core would be a good start) put it back together & wrap it up & put it away & then tackle the next thing. Anything you do to the body will be a waste of energy at this stage until it can be addressed properly.
soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by soc123_au »

Dont forget to take reference pics & make notes on everything.
donoauto
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by donoauto »

Couldn't agree anymore! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
(PRAYER) Oh thank you Wild Turkey American Honey & Cola in those small thin bottles, for giving me the strength to act like a half wit, and say stupid things at inappropriate times, semi-anonymously, on a public forum.
Amen.
MustangMedic
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by MustangMedic »

Don't forget the sandwich bags and the labels for stuff. It will make it a lot easier, whenever I take stuff off my pony I bag and tag.
Cheers.
Medic
(Always work smarter not harder!!!)
67 C Code coupe
cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by cage »

Take your time Kosa, don't get too excited mate. I know it's easier said then done but that is how you get in trouble and waste money. Trust me on this one as I am a perfect example of getting excited and doing some serious cash.
mustangpanels
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by mustangpanels »

I agree with Steve ..... Take heaps of pic's

I carry most sheet metal including the full floors when you are ready.

Cheers

Gary
Mustang owner and supplier of Mustang body panels.