Operation stick shift

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

trav68
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Re: Operation stick shift

Post by trav68 »

Yep but i was being tight fisted and wanted an excuse to use my mates cnc gear in any case...

I got a replacement clapper starter for $180 recently (auto) and think they charge a premium for the manual versions.
donoauto
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by donoauto »

hybrid wrote:Ok, so the next question is - are the 67+ different enough that this won't happen, and hence why Dono has successfully used them on other cars?
I've only seen this done with hotrods, not Mustangs. Maybe RHD vs LHD is key ??? Anyway, this isn't getting me 3 parts drunk so off to the bottleshop I go. :drink:
(PRAYER) Oh thank you Wild Turkey American Honey & Cola in those small thin bottles, for giving me the strength to act like a half wit, and say stupid things at inappropriate times, semi-anonymously, on a public forum.
Amen.
DD289
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by DD289 »

DD289 wrote:
hybrid wrote:I thought I had too, but the bloke who failed to do my wheel alignment said it was still touching.
HTF would he know??? :jerk:
Seems he was good for something after all Jeff!
"Hey Steve, I hope we can put this back together" - Ozbilt
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

He says that as he was driving it out the driveway, his offsider could see a bunch of sparks.

I think he's bullshitting because when it was touching for me, the whole car would die.
DD289
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by DD289 »

I reckon if the positive lead was fouling on the steering arm there was a fair chance of some sparks!!!
DD289
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by DD289 »

Starter spacer en route to give the clapper a second lease of life for the time being. Thanks for the advice on this guys.
The old farts have been at it again, this shot taken yesterday doesn't show a whole lot, but it's coming back together.

I finally got my finger out and "rebuilt" the heater box with a new radiator and seal kit. Kerry has the pedals set up, so we re-installed the Instrument Cluster and Rally Pac. Brakes bled, and front fenders back on.
The old farts experienced a small hurdle with the hood latch. Maybe Kerry will elaborate.
I understand she is starting to resemble her old self again with some more panels back on this morning.
trav68
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by trav68 »

Nice colour coding of springs and panels! It you had bought lovells it would have clashed and been all kinds of wrong plus red ones go faster.
DD289
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by DD289 »

trav68 wrote:Nice colour coding of springs and panels! It you had bought lovells it would have clashed and been all kinds of wrong plus red ones go faster.
Pedders have got to be good for something!

And the Red Koni's are NOICE as well.
trav68
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by trav68 »

Mate, did you put a short shifter on your box by any chance? Only regret I have now after abusing my car a bit off public roads.
DD289
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by DD289 »

Hi Trav, I went for a stock style shifter just for the sake of keeping the interior looking original. However, I'm sure if I end up doing more than just the odd track day, a short shifter will be the go. Or, I suppose, if I just don't like the stock unit.
trav68
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by trav68 »

Yeah no worries on the street it is fine. I have the original T5 shifter (mid 90s falcon) and I fully rebuilt the box. I didnt actually put the shifter sub assembly apart so your brand new box with new shifter may feel even better than mine. I just lacked 2 - 3 and 3 - 2 confidence partly mechanical and partly me.

I am tempted to get one of those MGW or PRO 5.0 shifters and rig up a hybrid muscle car look with some better mechanical underpinnings.

Driving the old girls hard is so much fun they feel a bit more raw than modern cars which are bit to composed in comparison.
DD289
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by DD289 »

trav68 wrote:Driving the old girls hard is so much fun they feel a bit more raw than modern cars which are bit to composed in comparison.
That's what I'm looking forward to. Auto cruising doesn't cut it for me at all. Even without big horsepower, the enjoyment of getting stuck into it with a manual is what I've always aimed for.
trav68
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by trav68 »

You wont look back mate! C4 was boring and crappy on the freeway but I might be biased because all our cars are manual at home....VYSS, Madza 3 and Mustang.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

I did a wedding in mine yesterday, so I didn't want to risk the 6cyl starter in it.

I drove to Regents Park and grabbed one of these for $115:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-V8-MINI ... 3f35199ee5

I adjusted it's position so the solenoid sat nicely between the steering arm and the exhaust.

It turns the engine over very nicely and has a 3yr warranty. If it dies after that, I'll buy another for that price.
Last edited by hybrid on Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Good pickup Hybrid.
I will someday think of something clever to say.