69 CJ build and other cars

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

MaxPower
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Re: 69 CJ build and other cars

Post by MaxPower »

The red are Thoriated and the white are Zirconiated.

I buy them by the 10 pack off ebay. They are cheap. Sharpen the pack and off you go.
"There's 3 ways to do things. The right way, the wrong way, and the Max Power way."

"Isn't that the wrong way?"

"Yeah, but faster!"
Ausjacko
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Ausjacko »

nice work. Makes my mig welding attemtps look pretty poor. Lucky I have my wiring skills to fall back on!
'68 J-code GT Fastback
'67 S-code GT coupe, 'Pink Bitz' formerly known as 'Hookin' up a brother'
'69 M_____ GTS Fastback 'Blasted'
MaxPower
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by MaxPower »

Cheers, Jacko!
"There's 3 ways to do things. The right way, the wrong way, and the Max Power way."

"Yeah, but faster!"
MaxPower
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by MaxPower »

Got the exhaust done on the truck. Happy with the result but now I think the 2 barrel manifold with 4 barrel Holley is truly showing how much of a bottle neck it is. It feels like it is really holding it back now. So that'll be the next addition.

Some crappy phone pics and a sound clip. However I did make it extra crappy by shaking it and then blowing the phone over by accident with the exhaust. I did spook the wife twice though, ha!

"Yeah, but faster!"
MaxPower
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by MaxPower »

My rotating assembly is now balanced and it along with the block have now gone off to the machine shop.

The crank was way out of balance though and required a lot more work to get it spot on. I was told it had to have two small pieces of heavy metal (Mallory Metal) fitted at the front, and a single piece at the rear along with some small holes drilled in the second counterweight.

I was told this was not common to happen with Scat cranks. Anyone else ran into this?

The flywheel was also originally made, by RAM, to be externally balanced but this has now been modified to be internally balanced. Which is strange as I was told the original CJ crank was also internally balanced so this was incorrect before.

Another month or so and I should have some news that it is done and I can go and pick it up.

"Yeah, but faster!"
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

I have never heard of material having to be added.
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

hybrid wrote:I have never heard of material having to be added.
Used to be common..
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
Hawko
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Hawko »

Just have a look and listen at your exhaust.
Which looks good and sounds great by the way.

Even though it is stainless it will tend to corrode on the welds if you don't clean and passivate the welds. You can use a Pickling paste for cleaning and passivating the welds. It may be a bit expensive to purchase a bottle for the amount you need but maybe a local stainless fabricator might give you a little.
MaxPower
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by MaxPower »

Cheers, Hawko!

I had a very similar conversation with one of the guys at my local Ford. He recommended the same thing. He offered to give me some but I haven't done anything about it yet. I need to make sure I go back and see him.

Thanks for the advice, it is much appreciated!

"Yeah, but faster!"
MaxPower
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by MaxPower »

Got the thumbs up this week that everything was done. Jumped into the wife's VW on Thursday morning and got back Friday night. She has a fuel card and her new Tiguan runs on fumes compared to my yank V8's. 1500km's round trip by myself, was pretty boring but still worth it. And the VW only used about $110 worth of juice. Absolutely incredible!
Got to catch up with my mate too which was good. He's helped me out a lot with this engine build for parts and machine work. He had my parts with him and had them ready to go.

Got the block on the stand this morning then wrapped it up until I can get a chance to tinker with it.
All went well with it but the crank tunnel had to be honed, very close to needing a bore, as it was out. Very thankful that was picked up.
The crank, mains and rods were assembled to check clearances and all come up within tolerances. All I have to do is button it up.

Here are the pieces of heavy metal that was added to bring the crank to balance.

and metal removed from here

pistons, pins and rods balanced

the new clutch

and some other new bits

"Yeah, but faster!"
ACTstanglover
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by ACTstanglover »

Looks like a lot of work when you see the block sitting there list that, Good luck with it, i know you will find it pretty straight forward
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Very nice. Looking forward to the build pics.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
MaxPower
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by MaxPower »

Sexy

and they even have my name stamped into them :mrgreen:

"Yeah, but faster!"
MaxPower
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by MaxPower »

Brought a new toy today. It's been about 15 years since I had a similar one of these but you don't forget how to do it. Hopefully this will encourage me to stop drinking beer every afternoon and get more motivation to make more progress on my car.

"Yeah, but faster!"
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

I can't see the new trailer for the bike in front of it.... :snigger:
"The Mustang is full of Awesome"