Guess who...it's Q!

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Guess who...it's Q!

Post by nassi »

No Lee, the ABS plastic unit would not lend itself to separation sorry.
Foresight
Zebras for hire
Zebras for hire

Post by Foresight »

All good Nassi, I think my idea was a bit of overkill. I could just take out the trap door and put the original one back in 👍🏾

Is the abs one pretty light? Might be able to offset a little of the extra weight to improve my mileage :rotfl:
Cheers,
Lee & Q
69 428 mach 1 - Guess who...it's Q!
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

Foresight wrote:Nope that actually made some sense. I'm going to be that guy and ask if you could help me pick out some gear because I don't even know where to start with brands, ohms, amps etc

Would it put any stress on the battery? It'd only be on when the engine is on obviously.
im sure lots here can provide good advice and im happy to aswell as im genetically coded to be fully sick :P.. actually im just a really big audio and video buff. With classic cars audio wont be as good as say new cars that are sealed well and lots of soft materials to absorb sound and stop from bouncing everywhere etc. but we can definitely still have awesome audio.

It will all start with budget and work around that. I was lucky, i made nice with the jb hifi chick and told her what i was doing with it and got the "staff" discount :D.

stress on battery? .. well how loud did you want to go ? :D

happy to chat when you're ready
Last edited by gbx78 on Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
'You can never test fire too many times.' - Hybrid

'You can never have too many gauges' -
Boofhead
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Foresight wrote:All good Nassi, I think my idea was a bit of overkill. I could just take out the trap door and put the original one back in 👍🏾

Is the abs one pretty light? Might be able to offset a little of the extra weight to improve my mileage :rotfl:
It is very light mate but sadly I do not think it will really help our economy.
Mathematically it could be stated like this.

BB + economy = fantasy.
and
BB + 69 mustang = ecstacy.
therefore, economy is fantasy because we all know 69 BB is ecstasy
Foresight
Zebras for hire
Zebras for hire

Post by Foresight »

Graeme have you thought of becoming our treasurer? Your logic is flawless.

Well Q can be tough to turn over when it's hot so I was hoping to build something that won't leave me stranded. Pretty much the only thing that I know I need is either something that I can extend to the front to plug my phone in or wireless connectivity. Did you find local was cheaper than online?
Cheers,
Lee & Q
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

Foresight, while you are not "concoursing", have you considered a different starter?
One of the good gear reduction ones might turn it over a bit easier.
Foresight
Zebras for hire
Zebras for hire

Post by Foresight »

That is definitely an option Jeff, at the moment it hasn't failed to turn over so if the sound system puts an stress on it I'll consider it.

George, pm sent 👍🏾
Cheers,
Lee & Q
Foresight
Zebras for hire
Zebras for hire

Post by Foresight »

The Doofening has begun...

I finally snapped last weekend, I went to turn on the radio and I couldn't tune in the music through my aux to antenna converter that I have been using for a couple of years. This lead to a lot of swear words and a bee line for the car audio shop!

George (gbx78) help me to pick out the audio gear over the phone. I would have been stuffed without him...on a number of things!

I picked up all the gear and returned home. I was like a kid in a candy store, I tore the packaging apart and ghetto rigged the system together.

I did something really cool though in the process. I wasn't getting power to the gear so I called George who said to check if I was getting 12v on the trigger wire which turns the gear on when the accessories line is live. I checked and nothing...I suggested to put 12v constant on the trigger wire to check if everything was working to which George agreed. I connected the trigger wire to the 12v and HOLY SHIT!!! I managed to turn the stereo into a starter switch!!!! Q started up but thank Christ I had put it in neutral out of habit or else I think I would have been calling the house and car insurance companies! Anyway the gear was working and I now know that I had tapped the ignition wire instead of the accessories, lazy googling will get you in trouble/killed so beware.

I thought I was going quickly but time doesn't travel in a linear fashion when you are "in the zone"...I ended up being 3 hours late for my 10 year high school reunion but hey its been 10 years so they could wait!
The system sounds sweet and is definitely an upgrade from the original 46 year old radio and single dash speaker. It consists of a head unit, amplifier, 6inch split speakers and a 12 inch sub. The head unit, amplifier and sub will be mounted in the trunk and controlled by USB with the speakers in the trap door. Something worthy of noting is that disconnecting your battery (which I always do when not driving Q) will reset any bluetooth connections so you will need to manual pair your phone and head unit again. In my case this requires physical access to the head unit which is a pain in the ass due to being in the trunk. No biggy though because my head unit has a USB cable which is probably a better solution because it also charges the phone.

The plan is to install the system without doing anything that isn't reversible in an hour or so. So far I have achieved this by chasing the power cable through the engine bay (6m needed from battery, following the factory wiring across under radiator, along the right hand engine bay wall, through the speedo grommet and then along the sills into the trunk), purchasing a new trap door to butcher and building a false floor and head unit/amp housing in the boot. The false floor has been profile and packed so that it doesn't touch anything it isn't supposed to and has rubber where it is meant to make contact. The floor is being held in place on the left side by a bolt that extends through the factory mounting hole in the frame rail (the shiny thing near the left tail light) and right side by the force of the spare wheel being clamped down.

I carpeted the floor and have built a box for the head unit and amp which is drying. I will update next week when I have carpeted the box and put it all together...stay tuned

Oh does anyone know what the hell this antenna connection point is? The mustang obviously has a DIN antenna but this looks like a female ISO or something. I can't find an adapter anywhere!
The picture below is a bit blurry so the central rod looks like it is hollow but its actually solid.

Last edited by Foresight on Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
Lee & Q
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Make sure you have a fuse on that power wire & the fuse is located close to where it picks up power from the battery.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Lee, that connector looks like an "F" type or maybe "N" type.
Should find any bits at Jaycar or even your local hardware store, look in the TV antenna section.
soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by soc123_au »

scedd
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by scedd »

Why not get a little battery of whatever size you need, like the ones that go in the cigarette socket to keep your computers alive at the auto sparky. Then you could have a toggle switch to turn it on when you disconnect the battery and it would save your jukebox settings.
The word "swims" upside-down is still "swims".
- If you rip a hole in a net, there are actually fewer holes in it than there were before
Foresight
Zebras for hire
Zebras for hire

Post by Foresight »

ozbilt wrote:Make sure you have a fuse on that power wire & the fuse is located close to where it picks up power from the battery.
I bought an amp wiring kit which came with the fuse, it is about 20cm away from the battery.
nassi wrote:Lee, that connector looks like an "F" type or maybe "N" type.
Should find any bits at Jaycar or even your local hardware store, look in the TV antenna section.
I think that is the plan, once its all plugged in I'll drive it down to Jaycar and find the right bits. I needed a 3m and a 1m antenna extension cable so I don't mind cutting up the 1m to put the right connector on since they are really cheap if I stuff it up.
scedd wrote: Why not get a little battery of whatever size you need, like the ones that go in the cigarette socket to keep your computers alive at the auto sparky. Then you could have a toggle switch to turn it on when you disconnect the battery and it would save your jukebox settings.
You just made me think of something. I disconnect the battery on the ground side so if I hard wire the head unit ground to the battery ground it should stay live while the battery is disconnected from the body. The car is always on a trickle charger and the head unit will be in sleep mode because the accessories line is dead so the power draw won't be a problem. The ground cable on the head unit is a pretty light gauge, would it be a problem running it over 6m?
Cheers,
Lee & Q
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

If you run your stereo ground straight to the battery (particularly over a long distance), you can expect some noise. You should ground your head unit as close as possible to the source.
Foresight
Zebras for hire
Zebras for hire

Post by Foresight »

Ok thanks Jeff, makes sense. What about a relay that switches between the long 6m ground and the short local ground so that it uses the local ground whilst operating and the long 6m ground for the sleep mode memory. I wonder if the time it takes to switch would still reset the memory. Something strange is that my head unit came with 2aa or aaa batteries but I have no idea why since the only thing in the box was the head unit which doesn't seem to have anywhere to put the batteries...
Cheers,
Lee & Q