Black Beauty!

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

Ausjacko
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Black Beauty!

Post by Ausjacko »

Wow, that is really inspiring work.
'68 J-code GT Fastback
'67 S-code GT coupe, 'Pink Bitz' formerly known as 'Hookin' up a brother'
'69 M_____ GTS Fastback 'Blasted'
shermatt
The Fatkid
The Fatkid

Post by shermatt »

looking good.

Matt

clean_555
Baby Mustang
Baby Mustang

Post by clean_555 »

:dance2: hello chopmgw,

great collection pics looking great.....
mwizz
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by mwizz »

nice work
albanygt40
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by albanygt40 »

Awesome work.

Thanks for taking the time to post these pics as they have been very helpfull with my RHD conversion.

Looking forward to the next update. :like:
unilec5544
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by unilec5544 »

And yet another small update, shit how time flies. Decided to make up my own torque boxes from some heavier gauge plate i have here, so both sides are done now, also did the shelby drop mod and welded up the old holes.
I think from here I will source the paint I am going to use for the car and paint the engine bay, that way I can fit the brake lines and maybe get the engine and box installed.
Still need to get the guards, doors, boot lid and hood media blasted, so If any one knows a place in Perth, let me know.

Cheers, Neil.

S[_]SPECT
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by S[_]SPECT »

unilec5544 wrote:Still need to get the guards, doors, boot lid and hood media blasted, so If any one knows a place in Perth, let me know.
Greg @ Stripped Bare (in Navel Base)
0417 183 121
Cheers,
Birchy...
Dodgy Bros. Customs

Suspect 67 - http://www.mustangtech.com.au/Forums/vi ... /t=52.html
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

I suggest you dont get the panels media blasted you may be very disappointed when they come back warped and have to replace them or fill with bog.
Use paint stripper and then a sander on them instead, being careful not to heat up any one spot.
unilec5544
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by unilec5544 »

scott66stang wrote:I suggest you dont get the panels media blasted you may be very disappointed when they come back warped and have to replace them or fill with bog.
Use paint stripper and then a sander on them instead, being careful not to heat up any one spot.
So have you had problems before with panels warping? One thing I hate is stripping paint, so time consuming.
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

For sure you need to make sure they know how to blast a car.
unilec5544
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by unilec5544 »

Shaunp wrote:For sure you need to make sure they know how to blast a car.
Maybe I will ask around first, I think the big industrial guys may be a bit rough.
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

I talked to an old bloke in Rockingham that soda blasts very slowly and patiently and only classic cars but your looking at big dollars 4-5k for the whole car inside and out and stand in line. Also the one he was doing was in the 50s which are a bit thicker metal .

I have also been told that if i do take that route to only sandblast one side of the panel, normally the underneath of the bonnet or boot as it has all the bracing and is harder to do by hand.
Last edited by scott66stang on Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
unilec5544
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by unilec5544 »

scott66stang wrote:I talked to an old bloke in Rockingham that soda blasts very slowly and patiently and only classic cars but your looking at big dollars 4-5k for the whole car inside and out and stand in line. Also the one he was doing was in the 50s which are a bit thicker metal .

I have also been told that if i do take that route to only sandblast one side of the panel, normally the underneath of the bonnet or boot as it has all the bracing and is harder to do by hand.
Ok, thanks for that, I was mainly concerned about the underside of the hood and boot lid, so i will get that blasted and remove the rest with paint stripper. :like:
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

unilec5544 wrote:
scott66stang wrote:I suggest you dont get the panels media blasted you may be very disappointed when they come back warped and have to replace them or fill with bog.
One thing I hate is stripping paint, so time consuming.
Couldnt agree with you more, hate paint stripping thats why i looked into sandblasting, acid dipping , Electrolysis cleaning and even mollases tank dipping.
I found if you use shitloads of stripper and a cheap plastic type wool scourer from coles with gloves and goggles for safety it becomes easier the more you use it. I did both sides of the bonnet and boot fairly easy, also Mikes panels were done this way on the busy bee we had at my place.
The plus side is the money saved can be used elsewhere.
Last edited by scott66stang on Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

scott66stang wrote: I have also been told that if i do take that route to only sandblast one side of the panel, normally the underneath of the bonnet or boot as it has all the bracing and is harder to do by hand.
Actually that is the worst side to do. You get "ghosting" on the outside panel as the heat is restricted to the areas of the outer panel that is seen from underneath. Panels such as hoods (bonnets) trunks (boot lids) & complete door shells should be dipped (if anything) & not blasted at all.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet