Cruzn66

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Cruzn66

Post by hybrid »

Paint it with POR-15... it's a ceramic based non-porous paint. But don't use it anywhere that you want to paint over with regular paint.
xpconnor
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by xpconnor »

My thoughts were to paint it with intergard and then smear some sika or seam sealer over it. I know when I stripped the car down the channel was almost full of a caulking compound of some description which had protected it pretty well but water had started to get under it causing rust. Not sure if it was factory caulking or something done as a bodgy repair job to fill holes that had already rusted through. I will see if I can find some pics of it.
"The Mustang is full of Awesome"
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

That might work, but intergard is probably porous also, so you would have to make sure the seam sealer is completely covering any bits that get wet and hope it doesn't deteriorate.
Cruzn65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Cruzn65 »

mikes68 wrote:
Cruzn65 wrote:Xp we tried with flap disc but as you say you can only do so much. We have marine washed, etched and then primed ASAP on all the metal we have worked on. I noted the panel shop painted Mikes rain channel with some heavy duty black paint stuff almost like some sort of seam sealer.

Might ask Mike to post a pic to show what it looks like.
Sure... Go ahead and ask...
arh Mike would you like to share a pic with the forum of the area concerned?
early Mustang enthusiast\collector of all bits Mustang
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Intergard first, then sealer with top coat (colour) or just POR with primer (while tacky) & then sealer. Both would see the car past the 100 year mark. Remember it got to here with little paint & sealer over bare metal.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by mikes68 »

Cruzn65 wrote:
mikes68 wrote:
Cruzn65 wrote:Xp we tried with flap disc but as you say you can only do so much. We have marine washed, etched and then primed ASAP on all the metal we have worked on. I noted the panel shop painted Mikes rain channel with some heavy duty black paint stuff almost like some sort of seam sealer.

Might ask Mike to post a pic to show what it looks like.
Sure... Go ahead and ask...
arh Mike would you like to share a pic with the forum of the area concerned?
Sure thing Craig... Might have to wait for the weekend though so I can pull it out into the sunlight for a good shot.

Whatchyadoingthisweekend?
Fifty Years Afloat

We can't alter the direction of the wind,
But we can adjust our sails
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

mikes68 wrote:
Probably tenderising his butt cheeks on that bike again............ are you still interested. :lol:
mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by mikes68 »

nassi wrote:
mikes68 wrote:
Probably tenderising his butt cheeks on that bike again............ are you still interested. :lol:
In Craig's butt cheeks... No thanks, never was!

Unless you are talking about something different altogether and mean you can bring your weekend commitments forward one week? Sure thing. Just have the footy on Sat evening...
Fifty Years Afloat

nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Sorry.. got a better offer this weekend.
mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by mikes68 »

nassi wrote:Sorry.. got a better offer this weekend.
All good... :like:

Just wasn't quite sure what you meant :drink:
Fifty Years Afloat

Cruzn65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Cruzn65 »

Update.... Work continues with slow but steady progress. Drivers side forward of rear wheel needed a bit more work than first thought. all made a bit easier thanks to the use of Pete's hoist. Should finish what can be done body wise in next week before Xmas hits....

Pics explain themselves. Thanks to Mike and Pete once again.

Rust in the end of the rocker had to go...
After cutting Mike fab bed up new section to be welded in before I hit the metal with the usual prep including POR finish
I flap disc'd the right rear quarter where I suspected the Mexicans had done another awesome repair. Clearly it had to go.... And it did

Al of this took a mere six hours. We had to stop to let POR dry so next phase is to weld in new sections and coat with primer.
Cruzn65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Cruzn65 »

Back in Pete's workshop today with Mike finishing off the jobs we got half way through a couple weeks ago. Mike fitting and welding and me on the flap disc we carved through it pretty quick. Only need to fit skin to drivers door or find a replacement and it's at the exit stage. Looking to strip paint and remove crud from underside next. Remove running gear for refresh and then somewhere in the distant future put it all back together........ It's a long way off.

Here are a couple from today.
Drivers rear repair
Passenger rear quarter repair
The old girl multi coloured.... As she is now
JC074
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by JC074 »

Love it dude!!!
Im Back!