Operation stick shift

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

DD289
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Re: Operation stick shift

Post by DD289 »

Nice one Jeff. I'll see how the spacer goes as my re manufactured clapper has probably only performed a few dozen cycles. I suspect the SD relay may be the limiting factor though.
"Hey Steve, I hope we can put this back together" - Ozbilt
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

DD289 wrote:Nice one Jeff. I'll see how the spacer goes as my re manufactured clapper has probably only performed a few dozen cycles. I suspect the SD relay may be the limiting factor though.
We will see how the clapper goes WITHOUT the spacer as the spacer does not fit. The spacer has been machined wrong & where it fits to the engine plate it is too big. Needs around 1mm off the diameter.

Ausjacko & H were up here yesterday & along with Steve (Old Fart #2) we deduced the auto starter would not hit the ring gear. I suspect that Modern Driveline has made their flywheels to suit the auto starter. That will be confirmed/denied next week when I get an answer to my email.

I will put a spare solenoid in your car ...... ;)
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

I think Bathy at Mustang auto parts in Brisbane will have one
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Shaunp wrote:I think Bathy at Mustang auto parts in Brisbane will have one
If I need the spacer, I can get the one I have machined.

Issue is, if we use the spacer, by our reckoning, it will only engage the flywheel teeth halfway. So it would have to be altered in thickness anyway.

I believe it will work OK without it.

This Modern Driveline kit keeps kicking goals, so it will not surprise me to find the flywheel is what I described above.
Kerry

ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

DD289 wrote: The old farts experienced a small hurdle with the hood latch. Maybe Kerry will elaborate.
Yes, the hood gave the 2 old farts a bit of a run. Bloody nut was turning in the frame & the hood peg was not coming out. So a cut off wheel on the pneumatic cut off tool made short work of the lock nut & washer, allowing us to get a weld on the inner nut & frame. Then some WD40 & a bit of back & forth movement & out came the peg.

However at the end of the day it was ; Hood - 0, Old Farts - 1

Last edited by ozbilt on Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kerry

ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

DD289 wrote: I understand she is starting to resemble her old self again with some more panels back on this morning.
You understand correctly ...... :lol:

Kerry

boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

ozbilt wrote:
DD289 wrote:Nice one Jeff. I'll see how the spacer goes as my re manufactured clapper has probably only performed a few dozen cycles. I suspect the SD relay may be the limiting factor though.
We will see how the clapper goes WITHOUT the spacer as the spacer does not fit. The spacer has been machined wrong & where it fits to the engine plate it is too big. Needs around 1mm off the diameter.

Ausjacko & H were up here yesterday & along with Steve (Old Fart #2) we deduced the auto starter would not hit the ring gear. I suspect that Modern Driveline has made their flywheels to suit the auto starter. That will be confirmed/denied next week when I get an answer to my email.

I will put a spare solenoid in your car ...... ;)
I am running my auto clapper starter straight onto the bell housing. All good so far.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
DD289
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by DD289 »

It is possible that said clapper was actually purchased as prescribed for a manual, there is a rumour going around that a manual starter will actually throw far enough to start an auto.
DD289
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by DD289 »

Nice work on the hood peg by the old farts... Could well be viewed as an improvement on the original design. A bit of Ford Brite Red touch up paint that I have at home should finish it off pretty well!
BTW, I now know how to extract profanities out of Oz... But it must involve reproduction parts :-)
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

DD289 wrote: BTW, I now know how to extract profanities out of Oz... But it must involve reproduction parts :-)
As it did today with aftermarket distributors & fuel lines ....... :rant:
Kerry

DD289
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by DD289 »

I won't ask how the dizzy cap sustained it's injuries. I may have some info on this on file to help source a replacement cap. Watch this space.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

DD289 wrote:I won't ask how the dizzy cap sustained it's injuries. I may have some info on this on file to help source a replacement cap. Watch this space.
Probably the other day when I raised the engine. Totally my fault.
Kerry

DD289
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by DD289 »

That will teach that non-genuine part a lesson! :-)
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Old fart #2 came over today & picked up the broken parts, then drove over to BossKraft & Sean fixed him up with one of the parts & gave him a good lead as to where to buy the other. Parts sourced & returned to Duggo & fitted.

Car started first turn of the key, clutch adjusted, foot & park brakes tested, so all is well. Tremec shifts soooo nice ...... :dance2:

So now to get the wheel alignment checked, a clean & it is ready to roll ..... :cheer:
Kerry

DD289
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by DD289 »

All done in a month in between other projects, bowls, bingo, coffee, and the "occasional" yarn with good friends and neighbours.
For the record, I think it would be fair to say that if we were just doing the Modern Driveline T5 conversion from the C4, without all the other stuff, it could have been done in a weekend. Providing you had a driveshaft ready to go or access to a joint to shorten the original quickly or prior. I think 20mm needed to come out of it, right Oz?
And then there's the starter... The more I think about it, I'm pretty sure the one I bought a couple of years back was indeed for a manual.
This has been a very enjoyable and great learning experience. Thanks Oz.