Mike's 68

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

MustangMedic
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Mike's 68

Post by MustangMedic »

Congrats Mike,
Followed this from Day 1, and as the boyz have already stated, your dad would be a very proud man.....now go drive the wheels off it and enjoy the rewards. I rekon you gotta betta chance of pulling the chicks than Pete has too.
Cheers,
Ash
Cheers.
Medic
(Always work smarter not harder!!!)
67 C Code coupe
mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by mikes68 »

Thanks guys.... I have just got home after a visit to the Dept. Of Transport!

CAR IS REGISTERED :backflip: :cheer:

Just finished fitting the plates and about to put it on the front lawn to take a couple of quick pics for "proof of rego" ha ha

Won't be putting the pics up online of course but you get the point!

To all of the comments today (and many others of course) thank you! It has been almost 6 years to the day that this "project" arrived in Perth. Throughout that time there have been some significant "life events" that have provided distractions and pauses to the progress along the way yet when I could gather some focus and muster some courage I did what I could. Again, there have been too many individuals from far and wide that have assisted me in getting it to this point and I can only be humbled by your generosity. You all know who you are and it doesn't mean just those who have turned a spanner or grabbed some sandpaper, the words of advice, encouragement, the occasional donation of some parts or those from whom I purchased bits and pieces you did so at such reasonable "mates rates" that I can never repay you...

I sincerely hope that you understand how humble and privileged I feel to have the good fortune of being associated with you lot on this forum and the few that may not be here...

Thank you... It's all I can say... THANK YOU!

Time to head over to my Mum's for dinner and take her for a ride to be the first to enjoy my reward!
Fifty Years Afloat

We can't alter the direction of the wind,
But we can adjust our sails
LEEH69
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by LEEH69 »

great news Mike, you should be very proud of your achievement and now to sit back hold on tight and enjoy the ride
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Great news Mike, I hope your mum enjoys the cruise tonight.
:thumbs:
Astro
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by Astro »

Well done Mike - I know how I feel after passing the 3 year mark in my build, after 6 years you must be

relieved it's done and finally on the road.

Hope you enjoy many years of trouble free motoring - well as trouble free as a 40 yo muzzy gets :spoton:

Cheers

J
I love big birds - I cannot lie...
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

Astroboy65 wrote:Well done Mike - I know how I feel after passing the 3 year mark in my build, after 6 years you must be

relieved it's done and finally on the road.

Hope you enjoy many years of trouble free motoring - well as trouble free as a 40 yo muzzy gets :spoton:

Cheers

J
With minimal maintenance they are extremely reliable, BUT Mikes is late model car.......... :lol:
boofhead
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by boofhead »

Wooo Hooo - well done. Enjoy her as much as you can.
I will someday think of something clever to say.
chopmgw
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by chopmgw »

Well done mike. That feeling u get when u get a pass is almost worth the wait. :cheer:
Get some pics up now. :impatient:
I smell oranges !

Michael
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

:like:

Now you can lament your project thread slowly disappearing into the abyss :snigger:
cage
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by cage »

Very well said Mike, enjoy the driving.
"The simple answer is, even if I have decided I still don't know what to do."
jusTANG
PatCH the Platypus
PatCH the Platypus

Post by jusTANG »

when done Mike, you have done an amazing job in your garage :Clap:
Cheers,
j
Dynamic
Living the Mustang Dream
Living the Mustang Dream

Post by Dynamic »

Well done Mike, can't believe it's been almost 6 years. I remember seeing it in your garage in the early stages and you and the car have come a long way well done
Pete
Mustang Project:
http://dynamicstang.blogspot.com
mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by mikes68 »

Just sorted out a bit of a problem with the steering wheel / column last night. When grabbing the wheel you could move it up and down and sideways a little... as if the column bearing had collapsed" there was also a small binding sensation when turning through about the 1 o'clock position. It wasn't picked up in rego inspection but I was aware of I and had mention it.

Whilst driving yesterday, the entire top hub started to move as I tried to turn the indicator on. Now those of you who are familiar with the assembly will likely know exactly what was wrong here but it had me stumped for a bit as to what was not holding.

After some investigation which had the shaft, inner column, hubs etc in and out countless times I realised that it was simply the 2 locationing / locking lugs had not grabbed on to the outer column.

I simply loosened off the 2 nuts on the lugs which are easily seen when you have the wheel off and the indicator assembly out, pushed the column and hub down fully then retightened the 2 nuts.

These locking studs have a square head on them that as you tighten the nuts from the outside it draws the bold head up guiding it into the slot on the outer column and eventually drawing it all together nice and snug and SAFE and secure...!

Went for a quick test drive and the steering wheel / column is all nice and perfect now with no shake rattle or roll and no binding sensation.
Last edited by mikes68 on Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fifty Years Afloat

We can't alter the direction of the wind,
But we can adjust our sails
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

FYI, the wheel should be the slightest bit tighter in the center. The gears in the steering box are actually designed this way to give a nice positive feel and no wandering when the car is going in a straight line.

When you rebuild the box, you actually tighten everything up to give a certain torque setting at the centre point.
trav68
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by trav68 »

The binding Mike is referring to would be isolated to the column assembly itself. His box was setup correctly with ~5 in/lb resistance increasing to ~10 in/lb on centre.