Thermo fan switch

Technical Discussion on Pre-1973 Mustangs

Moderator: Moderators

hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Thermo fan switch

Post by hybrid »

Even a thermo should have a shrould. Otherwise you're only pulling air through say 75% of the radiators surface. That is quite often why cars with thermos get hot at idle.

This is what I have done with mine.
I had the shroud bent up for $70 I think it was, and I cut the holes myself.
gary70au
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by gary70au »

Thanks for the info guys.

Hybrid, wouldn't a shroud on that design restrict air flow through the core at speed, when the fans are off?

Seems to me it would pass through the core then be all jammed up trying to get through the 2 holes. Not that i know what i am talking about lol
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

It would slow the air down a bit, yes, but that's not always a bad thing. Even new cars with thermos have a shroud.
If you have room, you can make the shroud deeper, but it will still flow more than enough air when you think about the air pressures involved when you're moving.
S[_]SPECT
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by S[_]SPECT »

Gary, If you're really worried about heat soak... switch to an electric water pump, and hook it up so it runs post shutdown till the temp comes down..

BVGB6jA4zxI

This Camaro is running a 509 BBC, on a stinking hot day, in a torturous event..
Not once did it boil over..
He's running twin AU fans with a shroud similar to Jeffs, and an electric water pump.
Both the fans and pump have a manual ON switch (separate from thermal and ingnition switching), so post shutdown he keeps them running... Yes, he has forgotten to turn them off on the odd occasion.. hence why I'd suggest it be done electronically with a timer or thermo switch.

Just another option..
Cheers,
Birchy...
Dodgy Bros. Customs

Suspect 67 - http://www.mustangtech.com.au/Forums/vi ... /t=52.html
gary70au
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by gary70au »

Thank heaps for the info guys, plenty to think about.

Suspect, i had considered one i saw a while back that was just a booster.

The car still ran the standard pump but there was an electric booster inline. I thought i could run standard but have the booster on the temp switch so it would circulate after shutdown.
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

gary70au wrote:Thanks for the info guys.

Hybrid, wouldn't a shroud on that design restrict air flow through the core at speed, when the fans are off?

Seems to me it would pass through the core then be all jammed up trying to get through the 2 holes. Not that i know what i am talking about lol
Gary these are EF ones im putting on mine with a EB radiator , so air flow must be ok for Hybrids setup being genuine Ford

hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

I have a set of fans like that in my garage that I wanted to use. I think mine might be BA fans?
They were way too wide for me to use though. It's a shame because they are supposed to be awesome and they look like new :(