The good oil: Tax on importing parts.

Information on importing your car or parts

Moderator: Moderators

ponyride
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Re: Tax on importing parts.

Post by ponyride »

Thanks Hawko, sorry I posted my flippant comment before I saw your post. That's OK, I'm sure the stuff I want to get in is made in the good old U S of A, I'll double check.
Rick.

Old things amuse all minds.
ponyride
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by ponyride »

OK, I rang Customs and spoke to a very helpful gentleman there - that's our (multiple) taxes at work. Here's the drum:

As per Hawko's post with table, both duty @ 5% and GST @ 10% are payable on items > $1,000 and it is calculated as per the table (ie shipping/freight/insurance etc).

Items under $1,000 do not attract duty/GST.

If you have more than one package delivered at one time and their sum total is > $1,000 then duty and GST are payable.

The taxes apply to the whole value, not just for every dollar over $1,000.

The Free Trade Agreement is applicable to goods made entirely in the U.S. (eg Scott Drake parts made in China/Thailand wouldn't count) and you would need to get some form of declaration from the source to confirm that. In that case, parts are "possibly" exempt from duty, they would be assessed at the time. Apparently there is a complicated table regarding types of items imported and their country of origin, so you need to check with Customs about specific items. GST is applied regardless.

As an example, I want to bring in a disc brake conversion kit which is apparently entirely manufactured in the U.S., this I was told would be exempt from duty however if the total value including freight and shipping is > $1,000 then GST applies.

Hopefully this helps clear up things a little.
Rick.

donoauto
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: The good oil: Tax on importing parts.

Post by donoauto »

I just guess within $500 what it will cost me , pull the trigger , grab my crayons & run like hell. I then like to block the memory of the purchase til it arrives. :gimmebeer:
(PRAYER) Oh thank you Wild Turkey American Honey & Cola in those small thin bottles, for giving me the strength to act like a half wit, and say stupid things at inappropriate times, semi-anonymously, on a public forum.
Amen.
Hawko
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Hawko »

ponyride wrote: As an example, I want to bring in a disc brake conversion kit which is apparently entirely manufactured in the U.S., this I was told would be exempt from duty however if the total value including freight and shipping is > $1,000 then GST applies.

Funny I rang them yesterday as well as I have some parts coming and I got a different answer.

I was told because my parts are under $1000AUD then I don't have to pay any duty or GST. It was only if my parts were over $1000 would they look at the freight cost.
ponyride
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by ponyride »

Hawko wrote:
ponyride wrote: As an example, I want to bring in a disc brake conversion kit which is apparently entirely manufactured in the U.S., this I was told would be exempt from duty however if the total value including freight and shipping is > $1,000 then GST applies.

Funny I rang them yesterday as well as I have some parts coming and I got a different answer.

I was told because my parts are under $1000AUD then I don't have to pay any duty or GST. It was only if my parts were over $1000 would they look at the freight cost.
That's my understanding too Hawko. Sorry if I was unclear or wrote something wrong. Basically, if it's under $1,000 (including all costs) then zip, if it's over then GST and duty apply.
Rick.

Hawko
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Hawko »

ponyride wrote: Basically, if it's under $1,000 (including all costs) .
This is the part different. I was told parts only have to be under $1000. Freight didn't come into it until the parts went over the $1000.
Rang again today and got the same answer.
hybrid
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by hybrid »

That's right Hawko.
I've brought in stuff that was over $1k including shipping, but under $1k excluding shipping and they have come through fine.
ponyride
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by ponyride »

That's excellent then. It's a different interpretation of their own formula but suits me!!
Rick.

Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

looks like drip feeding the parts in is the go then......
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
donoauto
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by donoauto »

unless it's already been mentioned , but if it is proven that all the parts were made in the US (with the free trade agreement) , then we dodge GST etc with over $1k purchases?
(PRAYER) Oh thank you Wild Turkey American Honey & Cola in those small thin bottles, for giving me the strength to act like a half wit, and say stupid things at inappropriate times, semi-anonymously, on a public forum.
Amen.
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

dono,thats a statement not a question yeh ? easily confussed me...
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
ponyride
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by ponyride »

donoauto wrote:unless it's already been mentioned , but if it is proven that all the parts were made in the US (with the free trade agreement) , then we dodge GST etc with over $1k purchases?
Nope. You only dodge the 5% duty. GST is whacked on top regardless.
Rick.

donoauto
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by donoauto »

Ah Ha! Thanks.
Amen.
Hawko
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Hawko »

Pinto-Pete wrote:looks like drip feeding the parts in is the go then......
Depends on how many and size of parts. You may find that multiple lots of freight will add up to more than the duty and GST.
Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

good point Hawko..
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm