Discussion of upcoming events in the Events Calendar

Moderator: Moderators

mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: 2013 Nationals

Post by mikes68 »

ponyride wrote:
mikes68 wrote:I think we should meet at Rick's in Os Pk, get some pizza delivered by some dancing girls and put on some movies on a big screen...!!! I think we would need weeky status meetings like this to make sure we stay on track... :thumbs:
Sounds awesome! Um, what is the track?
Some 1960's Beetle music perhaps :bash:
Fifty Years Afloat

We can't alter the direction of the wind,
But we can adjust our sails
tim_morrison82
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by tim_morrison82 »

Ah, missed this post! replied to the other one... Windsor is fine by me
Dreaming the dream... Living the reality...
tim_morrison82
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by tim_morrison82 »

or Ricks, i did think of Ricks, but thought i'd find out if he was interested first
Cruzn65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Cruzn65 »

looks like Ricks, 6.30 Wednesday.... all happy with that?
early Mustang enthusiast\collector of all bits Mustang
ponyride
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by ponyride »

We could certanly meet there Tim, I don't know how serious Mike was - Craig will have to be OK with it too. I think everything is doable except the big screen and the dancing girls, they'd just be too distracting.

Mondays or Wednesdays would be better for me too, I have basketball Tuesday nights.

Edit: Oops, did it again, Craig's post wasn't up when I was doing mine. Sounds like an agreement then.
Last edited by ponyride on Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick.

Old things amuse all minds.
tim_morrison82
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by tim_morrison82 »

i play basketball mondays, and volleyball on tuesdays, wednesday is good for me.

where do you play rick?
mikes68
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by mikes68 »

Wednesday 18:30 at "Rick's Cafe" - DONE!

Come on movie man (Craig), surely you can pony up Casablanca. I got one of those little 7" portable DVD players we could all huddle around...
Fifty Years Afloat

We can't alter the direction of the wind,
But we can adjust our sails
ponyride
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by ponyride »

tim_morrison82 wrote:i play basketball mondays, and volleyball on tuesdays, wednesday is good for me.

where do you play rick?
Scarborough. This is a hell of a hijack!
Rick.

tim_morrison82
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by tim_morrison82 »

I'll be there!

i play at willetton...
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

OK, I will start my bitch about the Nats. Why are they still held at Easter?

It makes no sense to me that a 2 day event is held on the most expensive weekend of the year for not only travel, but accommodation as well. Coupled with that you have increased traffic (both flying & driving), probably the highest amount of road accidents & in most states a double demerit system for fines & penalties.

It is not as if those attending can only get that time off, as we have reached a stage in life that if we can afford a Mustang (lets face it, it is a non essential toy) then we must have a job/career that affords us the time to get away at other times of the year.

To have the event weeks before or after would significantly reduce the costs for running & attending the event.

I would guess the response to the question I posed would be "Oh we ALWAYS do it at that time of the year".

My opinion would be to actually THINK about the consequences of maybe a change in date.

Look at the US, they would not consider holding an event like that on major holiday times of the year.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
Cruzn65
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by Cruzn65 »

cheers Kerry I will ask the question. One reason maybe that it provides a long weekend for people to travel without impacting leave for employed people - and for those self employed doesnt cost them working days?

Obviously flying to WA is an expense and prices rise during the holidays (school holidays this time of year) as does accommodation. The rates quoted by prospective locations so far are reasonable.

We will endeavor to consider all the options.
Cheers
early Mustang enthusiast\collector of all bits Mustang
ponyride
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by ponyride »

I agree with Kerry FWIW. I miss out on events that are held on such public holiday weekends. And whilst I'm happy to help with the planning etc of this event my attendance and help on the ground on that weekend will be much less unfortunately.

Easter is usually spent catching up with several families so to peel off to a car show is, well, "difficult". I have to do this :bowdown: , get this :rtfm: , try to explain things in a logical way and get this :yawn: , and I'm left thinking :shrug: .
Rick.

ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Reason I made the statement is that I just drove to the Nats in Qld & it was 15 hours each way with all the other idiots on the road with you. Sean & I did the same trip to pick up a car (so same load right down to the fact it was a 70 B2) in 11 hours each way.

The NSW one will be the same. On a normal weekend I could drive back & forth IF I really wanted to, but IF I attend that event (which I extremely doubt) I would feel "trapped" there as that bloody place has only one road in & out. The fact I would be committed (if I went I should be "committed") to spending around $1K for that weekend. No thank you.

Have a look at the difference in flight costs for the Easter long weekend, they are horrendous. From memory the flight Sydney to the Gold Coast & return at Easter was more than a return flight Perth to Sydney the week before.

I would argue that if you were self employed, then when you choose to have time off does not matter as you can work the other times. As for employed people, this is their passion, so they build vacation around the event.

It does not impact me as I plan on being there at least a week before & will not go home for at least a week after, but for most others it becomes an unnecessary expense.

You only have to look at the Boss Nationals last Nov, easy drive up (Friday), easy weekend & easy drive home (Monday) because it was held on a normal weekend & still a 2 day event. Friday night meet & greet dinner, the concourse awards were handed out on the Saturday night dinner, leaving the Sunday for a relaxing show/shine & early departure if anyone wished. MCA & SAAC all hold their events the same way. Sean & Bernice modeled the Boss Nationals on the US events because they work & are very well attended.
Kerry

ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

ponyride wrote:
Easter is usually spent catching up with several families so to peel off to a car show is, well, "difficult". I have to do this :bowdown: , get this :rtfm: , try to explain things in a logical way and get this :yawn: , and I'm left thinking :shrug: .
I can rattle off at least 10 people from the NSW club, I know, that will not be at the 2012 Nats because of Easter family commitments. They all have bloody nice cars. Even if held a week later they would be there.

Newcastle on a "normal" weekend is less than 2 hours drive from Sydney.

Easter, maybe up to 5.
Kerry

tim_morrison82
Mustang Maniac
Mustang Maniac

Post by tim_morrison82 »

Can someone post the dates for easter?

I agree with all the above.

As a frequent interstate traveler, I find the 5hr flights a killer for such a short stay. A 4 day weekend would allow a much more relaxed stay.

However, i would be interested to look into getting an extended discount for people traveling to the event a week early or the week after a normal weekend so people have a chance to experience the warmth of a west coast autumn and a few extra sunsets over the water before rushing off home.

Gives people an opportunity to check out the city without the crowds and local events can extend the celebrations over 2 weeks instead of 2 days.