Nicks 68 Fastback Restomod

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Nicks 68 Fastback Restomod

Post by ozbilt »

Pinto-Pete wrote:
ozbilt wrote:
unilec5544 wrote:Probable a good idea to get the whole car soda blasted, that way you will see more clearly the rust issues.
You are lucky you can get panels for the RHD conversion, I wish they had them for the 65/66 :argh:
Please, no soda, that stuff is bad with a capital B.
why ?
Soda = sodium bicarbonate.

Sodium bicarbonate or sodium hydrogen carbonate is the chemical compound with the formula NaHCO3. Sodium bicarbonate is a white solid that is crystalline but often appears as a fine powder. It has a slightly salty, alkaline taste resembling that of washing soda (sodium carbonate). The natural mineral form is nahcolite. It is a component of the mineral natron and is found dissolved in many mineral springs.

Since it has long been known and is widely used, the salt has many related names such as baking soda, bread soda, cooking soda, and bicarbonate of soda. In colloquial usage, its name is shortened to sodium bicarb, bicarb soda, or simply bicarb.

It also leaches out of encloses panels even after painting. Almost impossible to get rid of. Main issue is that the residue powder attracts moisture, so can accelerate rust in a car.

Anyone in the refinish industry will tell you not to use it.

Other media is OK, other than sand. Sand is dangerous to the operator....

Silicosis

Silicosis is a lung disease cause by toxic crystallized silica. The silica is an invisible dust particle released into the air as a result of damaging certain rocks such as quartz and granite. Doctors often refer to silicosis as sandblaster's disease. It is untreatable and incurable. Once contracted, a patient's lungs begin to fill with a fibrous tissue. Even after the patient ceases his exposure to the silica, his lungs continue to fill with the fibrous tissue. Sandblasting provides the highest rate of exposure to silicosis, especially in circumstances where the patient is working in an area with poor ventilation. If detected early, and removed from exposure prior to the silicosis becoming aggressive, a patient can survive; however, he runs an increased chance of developing further complications from any additional exposure.

Sand also can leave silicon in the metal to the point where a file or sanding disk will not cut into it, making further repairs very difficult.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
donoauto
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by donoauto »

So what do you like to see being used Special K ??
(PRAYER) Oh thank you Wild Turkey American Honey & Cola in those small thin bottles, for giving me the strength to act like a half wit, and say stupid things at inappropriate times, semi-anonymously, on a public forum.
Amen.
nassi
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by nassi »

donoauto wrote:So what do you like to see being used Special K ??
Close, crushed walnut shell is or was used by some.
Our blaster uses garnet, skill and care.
I have had some panels (hood and trunk lid) done with soda in 2001 and still no problem but this may be a rare case.
cheers
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Anything but the above. Q was done in glass (yes I know glass is made of sand, but it does not impact the "repair ability" of the panels it hits).

Other than ilmenite, melamine & limestone, I have used all here...

http://www.burwell.com.au/default.asp?id=14

Although steel shot is a tad aggressive for car use.... 8O

I only used steel shot/slag on heavy construction pieces such as the iron doors we made in the China factory.
Kerry

Pinto-Pete
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Pinto-Pete »

ozbilt wrote:
Anything but the above. Q was done in glass (yes I know glass is made of sand, but it does not impact the "repair ability" of the panels it hits).

Other than ilmenite, melamine & limestone, I have used all here...

http://www.burwell.com.au/default.asp?id=14

Although steel shot is a tad aggressive for car use.... 8O

I only used steel shot/slag on heavy construction pieces such as the iron doors we made in the China factory.
they make iron mustang parts in china now.....nice 8O
I'm Batman...

Crane Operator
Mammoet Australia
Rye Park Wind Farm
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

Another great RestoMod build on its way :cheer:
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Pinto-Pete wrote: they make iron mustang parts in china now.....nice 8O
When you get here I can show you the doors we make.... :thumbs:

Medic has volunteered to cut my garage wall a tad more so I can fit that door in place. That is when we both get a quiet moment.... :rant:
Kerry

Foresight
Zebras for hire
Zebras for hire

Post by Foresight »

wohoo another build thread :dance2:
Cheers,
Lee & Q
69 428 mach 1 - Guess who...it's Q!
soc123_au
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by soc123_au »

cage wrote:
Nick68 wrote:
cage wrote:Welcome aboard Nick. Your in good hands mate, Steve does very nice work.
Thanks - I have been following your project with interest. I beleive your car was in the work shop when I went around to discuss the project with him a few months ago.
Correct. It has been there for a long time as it was a serious basket case but it is all good now. Looking forward to seeing yours over there. Steve was just telling me he wasn't taking anymore work on for a while but I guess he can't help himself.
This one has been on the burner for a few months. We are just getting the structure sorted in the short term. Nick will then be able to have a play with all the stuff he would like to do. It will be a nice car when its done.
Nick68
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Nick68 »

I thought it might be a good time to up date people on the progress of the car todate.

On Saturday it went of to St Mary's Prestige to get a new floor put in, installation of the RHD panels and re-allignment of the front end.

I took some picks of the car leaving my place.

I think when it arrived at St Mary's Steve had an oh shit moment.

I hope he can make it straight again!

I have made some final decisions on style an colour. The car is going to be built in a Shelby 500 R style in a very dark blue metalic colour with a matching blue and white interior.

More to come.
scott66stang
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by scott66stang »

I think Steve would say that to every old Mustang that rolled in, because he knows it takes away his time working on Hellanor :-D
dont worry she's in good hands :thumbs:
Nick68
Junior Mustang
Junior Mustang

Post by Nick68 »

I have also been busy shopping. I have purchased some trick bits for the rear end. I wanted to build a very strong but light weight diff. I have done a fair bit of research and brought some stuff over from the US. Thanks to Harry's Classics for helping out with the freight.

The specs are a fabricated cromoly housing, big ford new style ends, strage aluminium third member housing, richmond 4.11 lightweight gears, moser 31 spline axles, aurburn gear LSD with a Wilwood 4 piston 12 inch rear brake kit.

I only hope it all comes together and does what I want it too.

Nuts
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Nuts »

Sweet!
My Motto - Don't get Caught! If you do, Blame Someone Else!

MUSTANG - Fantastic Not Plastic
MustangMedic
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by MustangMedic »

Those are coooool bits, great start.
The medic
Cheers.
Medic
(Always work smarter not harder!!!)
67 C Code coupe