Wiper conversion??

Create your project threads here if you prefer to keep them out of the regular forums

Moderator: Moderators

Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Re: Wiper conversion??

Post by Shaunp »

If they park out of sync the motor is too low.
unilec5544
Mustang Star
Mustang Star

Post by unilec5544 »

Well after changing the short arms over and re-postioning the bracket yet again, the wipers are working perfectly. I put the screen on and modified the bend in the wiper arm to the opposite side, fitted then on and all looks good, both are in sync. with each other as well, maybe slightly over bent, but I can tweek that later.
Difinately not as easy a job as I thought, but then again it's just knowing what to do.
Thanks to all for their input.
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

Well done.... :thumbs:
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
Keegan
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by Keegan »

What causes the wiper arms to be slightly out of sync while sweeping?
Regards, Jim.
donoauto
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by donoauto »

With mine, it was the RHD conversion (combined with a poor thinker). Wiper motor needed a clockwise rotation on its bracket to the tune of around 15 degrees. That got the rack main arms at their full limit of travel so when i turned them on, they started to sweep together & come to rest at the same angle when switched off.
Before that, when i switched them on, one would start climbing the screen immediately whilst the other one would dip lower for an inch or so before climbing.
(PRAYER) Oh thank you Wild Turkey American Honey & Cola in those small thin bottles, for giving me the strength to act like a half wit, and say stupid things at inappropriate times, semi-anonymously, on a public forum.
Amen.
Keegan
Senior Mustang
Senior Mustang

Post by Keegan »

What about a stock set up? (i.e. Not converted)
Regards, Jim.
donoauto
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by donoauto »

time to get under the dash with the wipers on & see if you can work out why they are out of sync. Just grab a beer & a curly straw, make yourself uncomfortable & study it's operation when turning them on. A solution will soon follow, or at the least, you'll be armed with some more info for us
(PRAYER) Oh thank you Wild Turkey American Honey & Cola in those small thin bottles, for giving me the strength to act like a half wit, and say stupid things at inappropriate times, semi-anonymously, on a public forum.
Amen.
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

Old thread but relavent!!

My wipers are out of sync and takes about 5 times to finally get it to park at the same time at the bottom. Its painful. If the bracket os already in place can the adjustments be done by moving the motor on the bracket?
'You can never test fire too many times.' - Hybrid

'You can never have too many gauges' -
Boofhead
ozbilt
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by ozbilt »

gbx78 wrote:
My wipers are out of sync and takes about 5 times to finally get it to park at the same time at the bottom. Its painful. If the bracket os already in place can the adjustments be done by moving the motor on the bracket?
When you say "out of sync", do you mean the center one does not sweep enough (or too much) or do you mean when you hit "park" they are at the top?

If at the top, the arm has not been reversed.

If the sweep is incorrect, it means lengthening or shortening the smaller arms under the dash.
Kerry

To our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

ozbilt wrote:
gbx78 wrote:
When you say "out of sync", do you mean the center one does not sweep enough (or too much) or do you mean when you hit "park" they are at the top?

If at the top, the arm has not been reversed.

If the sweep is incorrect, it means lengthening or shortening the smaller arms under the dash.
Hey Kerry

You're missing out on the wild weather here!

I believe (I will double check again) that they both sweep enough and both start moving at the same time but after a few sweeps the middle one starts going out of sync so when the drivers side (rhd, outter arm)) gets to the bottom of the glass the passenger side (middle one) is still on its way down. So when parked I have the drivers fine and the passenger still in the centre of the glass (or a bit lower). So I have to leave it going for a bit until they get back in sync and both park at the bottom.

Does that make sense.? I interpreted everyones comments in the thread that it might be the angle of my motor/bracket?

I believe with my arms there was no lengthening or shortening but the tabs on the end of the arms were flattened in order to reverse (spin around) the arm to face the other way.

I had a look under the dash to watch them in action and cant see why it would go out of sync. I need to study it more but the angle theory makes sense and so does the positioning. Though I don't know where to start to look at this. It would be nice for them to work together than look like a retard all over the place lol

Ill grab some video if that helps with the discussion?

Boofhead
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

Does you car have a dyna corn RHD cowl by any chance.
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

Shaunp wrote:Does you car have a dyna corn RHD cowl by any chance.
hey mate no it doesnt. Im trying understand the geometry and if everything linked shouldnt it go at the same time. .

Boofhead
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

If the motor is not in the correct spot they dont go in time. when you swap them to the other side the motor has to be in a different spot to make them run in time as the motor is now 180 deg out of phase, when you flip the crank arm over. You cant mirror image the motor.
gbx78
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by gbx78 »

Shaunp wrote:If the motor is not in the correct spot they dont go in time. when you swap them to the other side the motor has to be in a different spot to make them run in time as the motor is now 180 deg out of phase, when you flip the crank arm over. You cant mirror image the motor.
ok so what are my options to fix this. Is there still potential to rotate the motor if the bracket is fixed in place? Or does this require the bracket to be relocated aswell.

Boofhead
Shaunp
Mustang King
Mustang King

Post by Shaunp »

gbx78 wrote:
Shaunp wrote:If the motor is not in the correct spot they dont go in time. when you swap them to the other side the motor has to be in a different spot to make them run in time as the motor is now 180 deg out of phase, when you flip the crank arm over. You cant mirror image the motor.
ok so what are my options to fix this. Is there still potential to rotate the motor if the bracket is fixed in place? Or does this require the bracket to be relocated aswell.
Maybe you could try slotting the holes and move it a around a bit, or maybe be able to alter the length of one linkage. The arm on the motor has been rotated 180 deg yes?